Would you take an awning ?

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
When we travel to France for the whole of September we are now undecided as to whether we should take our awning.We plan 7 nights when we wouldn't use it, but are staying 12 nights in Provence and 10 nights in the Perigord Vert.

Not taking the awning would give me more room and less weight to allow us to take the wheel clamp and to bring back more wine ! However, we like to eat in the awning if the weather is too chilly to sit out in the evening.

Any experiences shared would be welcome. Thanks in anticipation.

G

We'd never be without an Awning in France.

Mainly used as a sunshade minus the walls 95% of the time.

Pitched in the open without shade we eat under the awning and would not want to be in the caravan.

September can be quite hot, if you find yourself on a pitch with no shade you may regret having no cover.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Euro, we would never travel to France and not take an awning, the Caravan can get very hot and stuffy, it is nice to sit and have a meal in the awning, it can also be used for shade.

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Rioja.....Of course an option would be to buy a Fiamma pull out awning, one that fits on the awning rail of the caravan and stays there when not in use. It will provide the sun shade you need and they are a doddle to unwind and wind up in a couple of minutes. I picked a 2m, nearly new, fiamma for under

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rioja,

That's exactly what we do, a De-Wit Sombrero for hot weather and a Fortex Aronde full awning for "UK" weather, and also highlights a short-coming in the UK awning market:

In say, the Dutch caravan and camping shops you have a choice of "sun shade" as typified by the Isabella Sun Shadow and De-Wit Sombrero - basically a 2.5 metre by van-length sheet of Sunbrella fabric and some EasySystem lightweight poles - and they provide excellent cover against the sun in 40

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi rioja

As you may remember we too are going to St Remy (five weeks to sailing and we cant wait!!!) We have always taken a sun canopy with us but this year are going to take the full awning as sometimes it can be a bit cold or windy towards the end of our hols (returning from the camp on the 2 sept) then you have the best of both by using the full awning or canopy as is required, we pitch on emplacement 61 it has a lot of shade but its nice to have the canopy to cover the fridge etc in case of wind or rain.

Regards

Madeleine

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I think we will take the awning after all.

Madeleine, I didn't realise when you were staying. We will miss you by hours as we arrive on the 3rd of September.We sail on the 1st (Hull-Zeebruge) and will take an overnight stop somewhere, maybe Dijon area on the 2nd as it appears half wayish.We will avoid toll roads unless we are behind schedule and need to eat a few miles up. Any ideas ?

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I think we will take the awning after all.

Madeleine, I didn't realise when you were staying. We will miss you by hours as we arrive on the 3rd of September.We sail on the 1st (Hull-Zeebruge) and will take an overnight stop somewhere, maybe Dijon area on the 2nd as it appears half wayish.We will avoid toll roads unless we are behind schedule and need to eat a few miles up. Any ideas ?
Hi rioja

dont think I can be much help, we sail dover/Calais, were spending the first night(hopefuly at vivier du carp near St Quenten, 2nd night at Beaune municipal and the last night before St Remy at La Veronne a little site that a fellow Belium from St Remy recommends near Montlimar, (were travelling with my brother in law who doesnt enjoy driving long haul)we use the motorway both ways, we once did some streaches after Lyon on rn but found it very slow and hilly. going back we stay at Chalon en Champagne and then two nights in Calais to enable us to have our Westie to the vet. We usually stock up with a picnic or I will do an omelett or soup in the van, we just find it easier for us, but if your doing the rn theres always fab looking le routiers if you get there 12 miday promp!

Hope you have a wonderful time

Regards Madeleine

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts