“Combined” Weighbridge weight correct or wrong?

Page 10 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Those numbers really don’t stack up or do they??Seem very high even allowing for the nose reading.
Will you be speaking to Reich?

I never found the Milenco spring nose load gauge very accurate as it aged. Have you compared it to our bathroom scale method described numerous times on here?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Those numbers really don’t stack up or do they??Seem very high even allowing for the nose reading.

I never found the Milenco spring nose load gauge very accurate as it aged. Have you compared it to our bathroom scale method described numerous times on here?
The caravan weight control does not use coil springs it uses load cell technology which is inherently more stable than a coil spring.

But the results even allowing a +/-3% variance strongly points to an overload situation.

Saxo, you definitely need to review what you putting in and where you place it the car or caravan.

Exceeding a statutory weight limit is illegal.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think I would be taking your van to a weigh bridge, get a reading and then run it over the Reich again.
I agree with the Prof, think you are seriously overweight.

Dusty dog, I find it so easy to go Upto the 100 kg on nose weight, but restrict my van to 80 kg, by moving stuff around like most of us.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Saxo, try a 1/2 inch wooden board on either side of the Reich so the rise over the unit is more gradual, and see what happens with the readings.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The caravan weight control does not use coil springs it uses load cell technology which is inherently more stable than a coil spring.

But the results even allowing a +/-3% variance strongly points to an overload situation.

Saxo, you definitely need to review what you putting in and where you place it the car or caravan.

Exceeding a statutory weight limit is illegal.
I referred to the Milenco spring. The Reich axle measure uses similar tech to my Reich nose load guage . My Reich is accurate to + or -1 kg when compared to the bathroom scales.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

The caravan readings are fairly constant, and the car ones as well.
Without being on site to check what's happening who knows.

The caravan specs state Nose weight max is 100 kg, and 5 % is the max for towing, giving a basically unstable caravan at MTPLM.
So that's really great from a caravan manufacturer.

Reactions: Dustydog
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
@ProfJohnL

I just don’t think the results are correct for some reason.

Our Caravan weight with no added equipment was 1683kg, and now we have

We have had the following installed:
Powrtouch Motor Movers: Approx 70kg
Maxview Roam X - installed roof antenna, and router: 2kg
Aventa Compact Plus A/C: Approx 29.5kg

Plus around 114kg of food, toiletries, chairs, 2 x TV’s, loaded from sink back.

From what we have weighed today, after some thinking, there’s something not quite right.

My question is regarding the weight calculated for a twin axle and the Reich.

When driving over the device with the first wheel, it records a kg, then driving over it with the second wheel records another kg….it then adds these both to a total.

But surely this must be wrong, as when the second wheel drives over the Reich it’s still accounting for a weight from the first tyre? Effectively there is a section / portion of the caravan being weighed twice in the results calculation?

Think I’m logically looking at this correct, so is the Reich stating wrong KG Total?

If going by the empty caravan to todays weigh, we have over half a ton added weight (approx 583kg)….this surely isn’t correct :(

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
@ProfJohnL

We have had the following installed:
Powrtouch Motor Movers: Approx 70kg
Maxview Roam X - installed roof antenna, and router: 2kg
Aventa Compact Plus A/C: Approx 29.5kg

Plus around 114kg of food, toiletries, chairs, 2 x TV’s, loaded from sink back.

From what we have weighed today, after some thinking, there’s something not quite right.

My question is regarding the weight calculated for a twin axle and the Reich.

When driving over the device with the first wheel, it records a kg, then driving over it with the second wheel records another kg….it then adds these both to a total.

But surely this must be wrong, as when the second wheel drives over the Reich it’s still accounting for a weight from the first tyre? Effectively there is a section / portion of the caravan being weighed twice in the results calculation?

Think I’m logically looking at this correct, so is the Reich stating wrong KG Total?

If going by the empty caravan to todays weigh, we have over half a ton added weight (approx 583kg)….this surely isn’t correct :(
Your caravan MIRO of 1683kg is a very basic figure, that is given for certification. I found my caravan was almost 80 kg above stated Miro. Giving me a very small payload.
You really need to take your caravan to a weigh bridge.
Have you counted in Clothing, games, battery, gas bottles, spare wheel, etc.
I think you may be shocked.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Your caravan MIRO of 1683kg is a very basic figure, that is given for certification. I found my caravan was almost 80 kg above stated Miro. Giving me a very small payload.
You really need to take your caravan to a weigh bridge.
Have you counted in Clothing, games, battery, gas bottles, spare wheel, etc.
I think you may be shocked.

The Gas Bottle, battery and spare wheel is all included in the MIRO is it not, pretty sure I read that in the Swift manual.

What do you think of my thoughts on the Reich calculating both wheels, surely it’s including a portion of the same weight calculated on the first weighed wheel?

Yes we will be going to a weigh bridge again just for a second opinion, but makes me think whether to keep the Reich or not…as someone said earlier, there wasn’t even a calibration cert with it..

Below is our first weighbridge, when the guys said we were bang on 2000kg

IMG_1256.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When you weighed you caravan, and it came out at 2000 kg.
What did you add to the van.
I am sure Reich know what they are doing, They are technically experienced manufacturers of items.
Don't try to convince yourself yourself the unit is inaccurate, to get your van below your max. Weight.
Fill the van with everything you take. And re weigh at a legal weigh scale, and check on the Reich, and reject the Reich then if you want.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I just wonder if the spare wheel is also included in the MRO, as this was added at factory , and if going to those extents, the microwave, the fridge etc 😂

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
When you weighed you caravan, and it came out at 2000 kg.
What did you add to the van.
I am sure Reich know what they are doing, They are technically experienced manufacturers of items.
Don't try to convince yourself yourself the unit is inaccurate, to get your van below your max. Weight.
Fill the van with everything you take. And re weigh at a legal weigh scale, and check on the Reich, and reject the Reich then if you want.
We never added anything mate, just chairs and we took out the booze which was heavier than the chairs, which is why I’m puzzled

It’s now got less weight than when it was weighed at the weigh bridge let’s put it that way

I think our plan of action is get the caravan when it’s back out from the dealers having snags fixed, and take it to another weigh bridge which does KG not just Tonnes, and take it from there..and only have the caravan weighed.

The Reich on the other hand, I’m still having thoughts about it.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think in that case, contact Reich and tell them your findings.
You have a case to return the unit as inaccurate.
How do you feel about the weight of your car, does that seem correct.
I am at a loss for you. My single axle seems to work fine.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
See I think single axle would be fine, but I just don’t get how the unit calculates both the wheels on the passenger side and then displays the answer, that being wheel 1 + wheel 2 = total.

When weighing the second wheel which also takes a portion of the first wheels downwards weight, there must be a discrepancy in the exact total KG for the passenger side. There has to be a percentage reduction for the combined weight of the total, given that it’s basically a “shared weight”

I’ll contact Reich and see if I get a response before my Amazon return expires.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
See I think single axle would be fine, but I just don’t get how the unit calculates both the wheels on the passenger side and then displays the answer, that being wheel 1 + wheel 2 = total.

When weighing the second wheel which also takes a portion of the first wheels downwards weight, there must be a discrepancy in the exact total KG for the passenger side. There has to be a percentage reduction for the combined weight of the total, given that it’s basically a “shared weight”

I’ll contact Reich and see if I get a response before my Amazon return expires.
I fully agree, I would need to know how technically the set up is.
When I weighed Aircraft and Helicopters, we would use 3 or 4 aircraft jack's and load cells. The cells would be moved around the jacks to enable correct Center of Gravity to be calculated.
The modern method of roll on load cells are now great. No more jacking up.
Especially on a Boeing 707 or a Fairly Gannet.

Good luck.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I fully agree, I would need to know how technically the set up is.
When I weighed Aircraft and Helicopters, we would use 3 or 4 aircraft jack's and load cells. The cells would be moved around the jacks to enable correct Center of Gravity to be calculated.
The modern method of roll on load cells are now great. No more jacking up.
Especially on a Boeing 707 or a Fairly Gannet.

Good luck.
Cheers Hutch,

Will see what they say, but I’m very dubious…but on the other hand they should know and accounted for this in both wheels calculation…

Will update when I hear back :)

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It clearly states that the battery is not included in the MIRO of the caravan. It is part of your personal payload. Battery would weigh about 26kgs.

Our MTPLM is 2000kg. We have AWD motor mover, a satellite dish, air con and the ALDE Continuous hot water supply fitted. We carry 2 TVs, two chairs, pots, cutlery and crockery in the caravan plus we fit a front towing cover.

We do not and have never carried awning, poles, food and clothes in the caravan. We are at about 2000kg. Even if that Reich is out by 5% you are still over weight and need to carry more in the car.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

:(

If 1683kg is the stated MIRO it is not the weight of your particular caravan. It is the weight of a caravan that the manufacturer provided for type approval purposes, not yours. MIRO is therefore, at best, only a rough guide. You must put the caravan on a weighbridge to establish an accurate figure for the actual unladen weight.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Which is what we will do, for a second attempt, although we already did this and the guy said we were 2000kg bang on… and that was with more items in the caravan at the time.

What is personal effects payload allowance, why would they state ‘allowance’ why not state Battery is not part of the factory 1683kg ? And I presume the spare wheel is included in the 1683 as this was fitted at factory?

I still don’t think our Reich is providing the correct results as mentioned above.

I need an explanation on why the device adds wheel 1 + wheel 2 and gives me a total, same for the other side and produces a final total which must be wrong. Wheel 2 result is also including the downwards weight of wheel 1 this must not be correct.

For what we have in the caravan and fitted as extras there is no way we are over half a ton added weight.

We will take everything out the caravan when we get it back from dealership, and drive to a weigh bridge which also measures in KG readings and weight it on its own :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What is personal effects payload allowance, why would they state ‘allowance’ why not state Battery is not part of the factory 1683kg ? And I presume the spare wheel is included in the 1683 as this was fitted at factory?

:)
If your payload is 150kg then you need to deduct the 26kg for the battery from that payload.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
In theory you should re create the same MIRO as Swift. In view of all the efforts you have made so far I’d completely strip out everything like battery gas cylinder just leaving fluids in the Alde and the soft furnishings. Hopefully the true bottom line

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
In theory you should re create the same MIRO as Swift. In view of all the efforts you have made so far I’d completely strip out everything like battery gas cylinder just leaving fluids in the Alde and the soft furnishings. Hopefully the true bottom line
Good idea, weigh everything as it's removed and total it, then weigh the caravan empty with the Reich scales, there will then be three sets of figures, empty, loaded and contents weights. Adding the empty and contents together should equal the loaded weights recorded previously, if not then it suggests that the scales aren't much use.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone confirm if the spare tyre is also included in the MIRO, presume so as it’s fitted in factory
Depends whether it's within the standard specification for your model or whether it's an extra cost item - the former will be within the MIRO but the latter won't.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts