12V 'cigar' lighter socket in caravan

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Despite most of my caravan's electrcs running on 12V (a couple of nice dimmer lights are 240V only)there are no 12V output sockets. I feel certain that this is a simple thing to 'fix' / fit; so what is the usual solution please?

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Go to Halfords/Motor World etc and purchase a cigar lighter socket. Wire this up via a fuse from the battery with heavy auto cable (like you would use for a fridge) so that it will allow the use of things that need a high current for short periods such as water heaters(the in cup type)

You can also get adaptors from caravan dealers with the cigar socket on one end and a variety of plugs on the other to suit your van sockets

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

Don't want to sound patronising but, you know you're caravan best, but are you sure you have not got a 12v socket near the tv aerial point. All the vans I have had have had one. It is a small two "hole" socket that takes a plug with 2 flat pins. My present one is incorporated in the tv aerial socket cover and embossed 12v, max 5 amp.

To give me the "best of both worlds" I have made up an extension lead with a flat pin plug on one end and a car cigar lighter type socket on the other which enables me to run car accessories, eg, an electric tyre pump from inside the 'van.

If you don't have one of these 12v sockets you could fit one as an alternative to the previously suggested car type 12v socket. The sockets and plugs are freely available from caravan dealers. "Towsure" have both "2 flat pin" and "car" types of socket and plugs on page 129/130 of their current catalogue.

If you do need to fit a socket from scractch I would suggest that you fit an in-line fuse in the cable. My fitted socket is fused at 5 amps max.

Best wishes

Tim

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
hello Friends (cannot login under my usual email for some unknown reason so bear with me. I must apologise because I did indeed find a 2 progged socket labelled 12V. The reason I hadn't noticed it before is because it was lurking next to the TV power plug and the two progs were themselves obscured by a blank plug which had been inserted by the previous owner !! So anyway, thanks for the stear !!regards John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

Glad to hear that you found the socket. No need to apologise we're all learners. If you'd not posted you might never have found the 12v socket. It's always good to discover a job that doens't need doing after all.

Regards

Tim

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Tim; but it does goes to show just HOW MUCH teher is to learn about one's 'van. When I bought it in August, we had a whirl-wind tour of the features and switches etc and I am still learning alot :)

Thanks for your patience

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts