4x4 convert

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
We, after this weekend, are now going to purchase a Land Rover Discovery 4x4.

To you all who are anti 4x4, off you go, slate me - I'm waiting for you!!!!!!!!

Lolly x

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
No stutter just unsteady hand need my fix of the brown water from north of the border, been working all weekend. Great to here hes been green laneing but a Disco realy why not get him a mans 4x4 not one that will spend its time being repaired.

Have fun

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Ooooohhh you must have had a really bad experience with a Disco, speaking to people this weekend I think your image is a tadge bit tarnished as on the whole people seem pleased with their vehicles.

Lolly x

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Lolly,

Just let the excitement of the weekend subside, sit down and think very carefully, next to a house it's usually the second largest purchase you'll make.

Unlike a house any car cost money and lots of it, I would suggest you talk to the masses rather than the few to get a balanced objective view.

Monkeys Husband

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
No stutter just unsteady hand need my fix of the brown water from north of the border, been working all weekend. Great to here hes been green laneing but a Disco realy why not get him a mans 4x4 not one that will spend its time being repaired.

Have fun
Hold on, I will get my welly's

Didn't see the bull, but certainly smelling the output!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You obviously did not see 5th Gear progamme tonight when they crashed a Disco and an Espace head-on. The Espace body/chassis absorbed the impact much better than that of the Disco and the Espace driver fared a lot better than the Disco driver.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Dusty

Everyone has already discussed this test!

It has already been shown that it was an old disco and the latest 5star rated Espace. Nice to see there was one gulible person watching the show!!!

Lets see the test again with the same age cars! I bet that will show a lot different result!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lolly,

If you want a disco buy a disco,they have a few problems,but what manufacturer dosen't,so what. I don't drive one, but my 4x4 is my choice,go for what you want.Don't worry, be happy.

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lolly

It was not my intention to criticize your choice of vehicle. I was merely trying to point out a misconception that many people have that they are safer in a big 4 x 4 than a more conventional type of vehicle. The choice of vehicles in the 5th Gear programme, in my opinion, was done to emphasize the point. As far as I am concerned everyone is free to make their own choice of vehicle. What a boring place we would live in if we all had similar modes of transport.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
It makes you really wonder wether these people who slate Land Rovers have ever even been inside one, let alone driven one.

They all appear to go upon, that which has been written, never peoples' experience.

Lolly, we are on our third Disco, GO FOR IT!! You will have no regrets.!!

Wendy

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dusty

Everyone has already discussed this test!

It has already been shown that it was an old disco and the latest 5star rated Espace. Nice to see there was one gulible person watching the show!!!

Lets see the test again with the same age cars! I bet that will show a lot different result!
lmaaooooo Steve.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Lolly

Just echo Dusty's point I think when ever your tried something new for the weekend you should always go away and think about It !! my intention wasn't to criticize your choice of vehicle merely to point out the old adage of "marry quickly - repent for ever" I think for me it's a question of saying if I wanted to go green laneing or trialling every weekend then a LR would be my first choice (defender) .

But if you merely buying a 4x4 because you prefer it's driving position then many other vehicles are well proven and won't cost as much to maintain or run. I speak as someone who used to run a 3,500 vehicle car fleet with an few Disco's dotted about. To be fair they've got progressively better over the years but I would touch one myself and one my colleagues was fleet manager for the Environment Agency and he had the chance to have one at a very knocked down price and he wouldn't touch one as his personal transport either.

Lolly, I guess what I'm saying is this it what I love about this forum there are those who love a particular make of car/caravan etc and there are some of us (who look like we are..be we're not) anti a particular make. You pay's your money ...Just be careful !!

Monkeys Husband

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As you thought Lolly - LOADS & LOADS of sucking of teeth and "old man sayings" such as - "you don't want to do that!"

I am not sure what these guys are trying to prove?

After all Lolly - both the GLASS guys arrived in Land Rovers! - one a 1958 Series I and the other a TDi Discovery of many many miles on the clock!

Volvos catch fire and it is an irrelevance because 3 or 4 incidents are not statistically significant! Tell that to the families involved!!

But OF COURSE Land Rovers are unreliable! Despite being voted the most popular car of all time on the Top Gear pol.

Only thing I would say is that there is a lot "more" to a Discovery (two gearboxes, Dif Lock, Two prop shafts, two axles and four drive shafts) so a lot more to go wrong.

Some have been seriously off-roaded and therefore totally knackered. Others have been owned by Farmers, never serviced and left standing in cr*p for ages.

So get an HPI check, get a full service history, and if it looks to good to be true it probably is!

Finally find out the reason for it being for sale. Most of us that find a good one tend to keep them as Land Rovers are one of the few vehicles that can actually appreciate in value as long as it is kept in good condition.

They are cheap and easy to maintain and will totally stun you with its abilities.

There will always be the numptys that say "you don't wanna do that".

But get a good one and you will never look back!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Clive

May be you should be fair and also mention that all Land Rover Discovery Series ii were subject to a recall for cars built between 200-2003 for guess what ???.... Under bonnet fires. I would be interesting to know how many caught fire before they did something???.

If you I inferring to me as a numpty - then I strongly object and would ask the mod to remove the offending part of the post . Objective yes the other certainly not.

Monkeys Husband

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts