4x4 thread

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
an audi 1.9 uses more fuel fuel and higher emmisions than a navara ? absolute rubbish,the a4 has the same engine as my alhambra albit with 24 bhp more but it still sits in the

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Givanni " Actually frank it does not help you cause, because as you have

already stated the 4x4 seems to be the most popular choice for

towing,

All wheel drive off roaders do seem to be the most popular choice for towing big vans in the UK. It is a cost issue, you can buy a large off road vehicle kitted out to a very high spec a lot cheaper than a Big Merc or BMW, and they are cheaper to run on servicing tyres etc.

Val & Frank

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Frank, not urgueing the cost bit, although range rovers and

the likes toyota land crusiers ain't exactly cheap.

And i do like vehicles with 4x4 audi and volvo to name a few,

car derived 4x4. but i do not need one and i am a tight git

so begrudge the fact that they use more fuel than their 2wd

stablemates.

But thats me, i don't judge what people drive on the road,i am

just as likely to think a corsa driver is a prat as a range rover

one, and i hope other decide i am a pratt or not by my driving,

not by what i drive.....

driver

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Lutz,

Can't quite make out the model but looking at T/A Dethleffs it may be the model that comes in at 1730 MTPLM would that be ok to tow with a 1668kg Mondeo ???

Val & Frank

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Icemaker. Which Nissan Navara are you talking about? The figures you have given are for the D40, not the D22. The difference is simple D40 is 175bhp and the D22 is 138bhp. Fact not fiction we pay less than

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You may be right about the caravan in the picture having a 1730kg MTPLM. Let's take it as correct.

The following Mondeo estates would legally be able to tow that weight:

2.5V6 220hp petrol

2.0 TDCi 130hp 6-speed automatic

2.0 TDCi 140hp 6-speed manual

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Firstly Diane you made it sound like you where quoting like for like in your comparison of the navara versus the 198 bhp audi and so i took it you meant the higher powered version which is what most people specify as 138 bhp is a bit lame for such a heavy car as the navara.

Secondly as Martin states the emisions are still higher than that of the audi even on the lower powered versions of the navara.

Its quite simple really the heavier the car the harder the engine needs to work, the harder the engine works the more emmisions it will have, hence the navara will never be as clean as the audi, its a heavier car with a larger engine.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lutz,

The caravan will weigh more than the Mondeo !!! I agree it will pull it 1800kg I think is the max tow. But whatever happened to the 85 % guideline.

Frank

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The photo was out of the German brochure. The 85% guideline only applies in the UK. No-one has ever heard of it on the Continent so everybody goes by the legal maximum, which is the manufacturer's specification.

The first time I ever read about 85% was when I joined this forum. Talk to anyone here about it and they look at you in blank amazement.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Well Lutz, that explains a lot, I suppose it's the same here you can tow up to the cars max without fear of being pulled over. I know you have given me advice in the past on the need to be aware in certain circumstances that a tacho may be required.

Cheers Lutz enjoyed the debate

Frank

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Icemaker i can,t be bothered at the moment to argue with you, but i will take it you don,t own a 4x4. As i said before we own two, one is a fulltime 4 wheel drive vehicle and the other is a selective choice. The Evo still has higher emmissions and fact 3.0 ltr Audi A4 has higher emmissions than the 2.5ltr Nissan Navara D22.

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
This thread tempted me to my first attempt on a forum.

Our towcar choice came about due to health, as we'd had 4 x 4's our Disco 3 was first choice.

4 x 4 choice based on price compared to an Audi or Merc seems a strange one to me. Our Disco weighed in at over

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
if 4x4 are so bad why havent the goverment stoped the sale of them plus there are loads of new models on the market now and the govement isnt doing a thing about it to me this says everything

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't think anyone in this thread suggested that 4x4's were bad. So for what reason should the government put a stop to their sale? All that various replies wanted to make clear is that there are alternatives to 4x4's which are also up to the job of towing and, in some cases, may do it even better. But that still doesn't justify banning 4x4's.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
You can tow a caravan that's heavier than the tow car.

You can also tow with two-wheel drive.

Again you can tow a caravan with a low powered engine.

But lets not try and kid our selves, or others new to towing.

A heavy powerful four-wheeled drive vehicle will always be the better choice.

Four wheel drive is an extra safety feature that can be utilised during ever days driving not just when towing.

My x trail never comes out of auto.

A 4x4 gives extra ground clearance during times of floods.

A 4x4 is an estate but with more luggage capacity than many prestige estates.

A 4x4 has at lest 100kg nose weight in most cases. Sometimes 150kg. What does an mpv have?

An mpv will never be the best option, but perhaps the cheapest.

Come on admit it, if money was no problem wouldn't you have the most powerful range rover money could buy?

Not saying they're reliable but don't they look great

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Ray 4 X 4 is only an advantage if you are off roading or towing through deep mud.

We 4 x four'd for near on 20 years and the extra two wheels driving was OK on the odd wet field but plenty of two wheel drive cars got on to the same fields as us and got off again.

Our Merc is far more comfortable than our Disco 3 and has bags more room even with seven people in it plus all our luggage.

Having to cary 4 adults and three teenagers we needed something large and the Disco was a dismal failure quite frankly.

The Mercs normal road performance will P@@ all over nearly all of the Nissan 4 x 4 range and Land Rovers and most others. It will not traverse a ploughed field but lets be honest, who does that with a family on board. The Merc coped fine with a wet trip through the Alps and thats about the highest and steepest most caravanners are ever likely to go with a caravan.

A year or so ago I would probably have agreed that you need 4 x 4 with a big van and family.

Reality is, that this is not the case. We have 100 kg nose and weight 1800kg plus being tyowed with bags more power compared to many SUV's, big caravans equate to big families quite often and the MPV does that better than SUV's.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Along the same vein an John L, my towcar has to meet the following criteria (roughly in that order):

1. My wife has to be able to see the back of the car when she's parking (she's 5' 1")

2. Purchase price, insurance and tax must be within the respective budgets.

3. Be covered by a full and comprehensive warranty, regardless of whether it is a new or used car (Service costs have to be just that. I don't want to have to budget for unexpected repairs).

4. Legally capable of towing the caravan

5. Fuel consumption solo not worse than 40mpg solo (towing doesn't concern me as only about 20% of the total mileage is done towing)

6. Will take something at least the size of a washing machine in the load compartment, if necessary with the back seats folded down. (I'm always having to carry something big from A to B)

7. Be comfortable

8. Be reasonably quiet and smooth when cruising at 100mph (we don't have speed limits)

9. Must have ESP and side airbags

10. Be easy to get in and out of

11. If it's a diesel it must have a particulate filter

Whether a 4x4 comes out in the end or not doesn't concern me but at present there aren't any that meet all criteria, especially No. 2.

May 18, 2007
Visit site
I Response to Ray I have added comments below -

Isn't that Illegal

Point being

Causing tailbacks and unnecesary bad feeling

Didn't you say you could tow with a low powered car ??

Four wheel drive is an extra safety feature that can be utilised during ever days driving not just when towing.

Not proven and hazardous to other road users.

So - less economical

Tell that to the people in Glos under 6 ft of water

Could fit more in my mondeo estate and also my hatchback

A 4x4 has at lest 100kg nose weight in most cases. Sometimes 150kg. What does an mpv have?

What about the lumbering old 15 year old Shoguns etc ?? Cheap as chips but less paletable

Come on admit it, if money was no problem wouldn't you have the most powerful range rover money could buy?

No -

My brother has a Freelander - not reliable or powerful.

You can't say that a Kia or Hyundai look good ?

I'll stick with my Mondeo ST and wave when I'm overtaking you on a motorway incline

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
I Response to Ray I have added comments below -

Isn't that Illegal

Point being

Causing tailbacks and unnecesary bad feeling

Didn't you say you could tow with a low powered car ??

Not proven and hazardous to other road users.

So - less economical

Tell that to the people in Glos under 6 ft of water

Could fit more in my mondeo estate and also my hatchback

What about the lumbering old 15 year old Shoguns etc ?? Cheap as chips but less paletable

No -

My brother has a Freelander - not reliable or powerful.

You can't say that a Kia or Hyundai look good ?

I'll stick with my Mondeo ST and wave when I'm overtaking you on a motorway incline
Hi,

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Our new Hyundai Santa fe in metallic black looks terrific and everyone comments as such.

Chris

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Friend had two brand new top of the range Mondeo's

Both broke down whilst towing to spain.

Clutch and gearbox problems!

Stick with a 4x4 son!!!!!!!!

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Jonathan Quote " I'll stick with my Mondeo ST and wave when I'm overtaking you on a motorway incline.

I didn't know RAC recovery trucks with a car and caravan on the back could go that fast !!!!!!

Frank

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Jonathan Quote " I'll stick with my Mondeo ST and wave when I'm overtaking you on a motorway incline.

I didn't know RAC recovery trucks with a car and caravan on the back could go that fast !!!!!!

Frank
Nice one!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Friend had two brand new top of the range Mondeo's

Both broke down whilst towing to spain.

Clutch and gearbox problems!

Stick with a 4x4 son!!!!!!!!
Knowing the reaction of some 4 x 4 owners who can not see past the glossy paimtwork of their baby, I will try and tread with care.

Are you saying that brutish 4 x 4's are more reliable than other cars Essexeddie? Having had a few myself I can assure you that theya are probably more likely to suffer transmission failures.

Having had top of the range 4 x 4's that have added to the statistics of them being some of the least reliable cars on the market you have to be blowing in the wind friend.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts