Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Daihatsu Fourtrak fitted with a set of Fulda tyres. The tyres have done approx. 8000 miles. When new the road holding was excellent, however now there appears very little grip and a lot of wheelspin. I do not go off road with the vehicle apart from siting the caravan on to a pitch. There appears to be plenty of tread left on the tyres. Has anybody experienced problems with this make of tyre? I would be grateful if anyone could recommend a better tyre for normal road use with a little bit of site use. Alternatively is the fault with the vehicle whereby it has not got a reputation for good roadholding? Any constructive response would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much in anticipation

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have owned a couple of Diahatsu F70's and towed right upto the max 5500kgs gross train (3500kgs trailer)and while being cautious about the large weight behind I did not experience any problems. What you may have judging by the obscure name of your tyre is a nylon based synthetic type rubber. I had one of these recently on a car. The car had just one of these tyres on the back and a pereli on the other side. The handleing felt like you had a half flat tyre on one side, so much so that if you drove hard into a corner you were most likely to spin out. On instpecting the tyre I noticed that the tred had a much harder feel to it when proding it with a screw driver compared to the other side. After talking to my brother in law who is into rallying he explained about compound's of tyre and thought this one would be better on soft ground where you would want a tyre to bite through the mud, and also said that I should run pairs of tyres on the same axle. I would recomend htat you go to a main stream tyre depot and have a set of say Bridgestone tyres fitted and then you should find that your 4x4 will be more responsive both on and off the beaten track. Even with road type tyres on my Diahatsu was still useable across most grass pitches.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i drive a discovery and originally had cheap "no-name" tyres on, and had simaler problems to yourself; i mainly had poor grip in the wet and excessive road noise.

i changed to mitchelin 4x4 tyres and these are excellent on road, and even when i have ventured on off-road courses, they can hold their own.

like everything, i guess you get what you pay for...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree with Darren abd Steve; sometimes 'cheap' or 'unrecognised' tyres can be a bad buy - I put some 'bargain' tyres on a Landrover, they gave poor handling and grip, and wore down quickly. Suggest you try a make you recognise.

Peter T

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I think most of the replies you get will be similar to what you have recieved so far. I have bought cheaper tyres and experienced axactly what you have. One guy has recommended Michelins - excellent tyre though my favourite is the BFGoodrich Long Trail.

I have had a set on my 1984 Range Rover for three years plus and they have covered over 62,000 miles to date and are still a couple of centimetres above the wear ridge on the tyre.

Low road noise, excellent grip on and off road means I will certainly be getting another set.

The worst tyres I put on it were a set of General Grabbers - whilst the grip was ok they wore out in 25,000 miles!

I had an Audi 80 and put a pair of Fuldas on the front (front wheel drive) and within 10,000 miles I could hardly get the damn thing to go round a bend! I think Steve Lloyds comment on what these cheaper tyres are made of is very interesting.

He recommends Bridgstone - I cannot comment as I have never used them but again - a quality tyre.

With the Audi, a pair Michelins later and and the Audis normal sure-footedness was back so it was not the car.

I think cheap tyres are ok if you sit in a city traffic jam for most of the day but anything more demanding requires a quality tyre.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin I have a sorrento fitted with Kumho tyres.Its done 24000 miles on these and there is still 5mm of tread left.Grip seems to be ok too.Tom.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin I've used Bridgestone Duallers on my Pajero and find the road handling very good. Also excellent grip when off road, never had any problem so can recommend these, but as the other replies state, almost any reputable brand will be ok. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tow with a Vauxhall Monterey and I have fitted Michelin Synchrone tyres which are good for roads and also suitable for towing on grass, muddy fields etc. but not for 'proper' off road. Good buy from Costco>

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
hi Colin,

I know this is going back a bit, but I am new to this forum and just luv reading everybodies comments, have just come accross your question in relation to fulda tyres, its probably too late but just had to say that we have got our 3rd full set of fulda's on our Alfa 155, (which is now 11 yrs old) can't fault them, it sticks like glue to the road, it hugs bends, no roll or over/under steer,wouldn't entertain any other make, I know you were referring to a 4x4, (have one of those as well) but can't comment as its fairly new and not needed any new tyres as yet, but just had to say something positive in their favour. By the way I beleave that fulda's are made by Dunlop tyres!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
BF Goodrich All Terrains are what you want!.

Decent off road ability (even if only on a site) and good road manners.

David
What I have noticed is that its surprising how many people dont adjust they're tyre pressures whan towing. I do mine evey trip and have not yet encountered any tyre problems what so ever.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts