4X4

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You all know I like a laugh and I suspect you have all reasoned that I am an opinionated old git. That is how my wife describes me so it must be true.

My responce to Monkeys Husband was very much tongue in cheek - I had this picture in my mind of a computor "nerd" sitting in his car, in a snow bank, berating his laptop saying:-

"but you said this snow wasn't due here for another 25 minutes!!

LOL

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is it possible that the 4x4 owners could just ignore the posts that are there to wind you up, just dont respond to the baiting.

A great idea your Lordship, except for one thing.

If we do that - then in the great tradition of all anti's in this country - they immediately think in their smug, small minded heads that they have won!

A sad fact but very true, hence the trouble we are having with green laning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yeah it proves there is more than one dim wit on the forum, anyway cant stop to chat got to go and pick me new Amazon up this aft
the best way to deal with Roos is to give them a dummy and they will hop back into the pouch.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Steve (sparkes)

Back in 1995 the Malaysia Army along with the British and Pakistan Army's were doing Peace keeping duties in Kosovo, one morning 3 soldiers were driving between two camps when their Landrover broke down, sadly two out of the three soldiers died of Hypothermia . No 4x4 or conventional car could have saved them sadly from the own inadequate preparation.

I tell you how I get on in the snow in my old fashioned two wheel drive car - just the same as anyone from Nordic countries -preparation is key along with having the right equipment and actually having someone show you how to properly drive your car in the snow helps.

Steve if you think it's the car that makes you a better driver your sadly mistaken; any of you 4x4 er's who actually take you vehicles properly off road (not talking of your weekly visit to Waitrose or pitching the Caravan on a CL) will know to get the most out of car it's practice and the willing to listen to others that way you don't get your feet wet when you car crosses a stream.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
emm, not paying much attention are you Monkey

Please re read the debate as you will see that the 4x4 owners in this thread all are members off off road clubs. I myself am also a member of the 4x4 emergency support network.

I do use the disco off road, I also am an advanced driver so you are preaching to the wrong person.

So, how did the search go? did you find a 2wd better than 4wd in the snow? No? I am supprised!

As for the army comment, interesting that you bring the unfortunate deaths of serving men to the debate. Why make the comment? would they have been alive if they used an 2wd car? No, well thats your argument out the window!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Steve,

The Point stated for me when Clive tried to make the point that "non believers" (surely the 4x4 church has had them burnt) were benefiting from 4x4 rescuing them from snowdrifts. My point that the majority of people shouldn't have been out in the conditions in the first place - just the same as the result that I painted of the picture in Kosovo it wasn't the car which killed them it was the cold.

Surely, your "4x4 emergency support network" would rather attend incidents of real need rather than be called upon to dig those with more stupidly than sense.

There's no argument of the benefit of 4x4 over 2 wd in the snow but tell me this who's going to drive better in snow an inexperienced 4x4 driver who uses their car on the road in "normal conditions " or you the "advanced driver" in a conventional car ..answer on a postcard to

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Monkeys Husband

Whatever your views on drivers skills - 4x4's

Do you not think you are being a tad arrogant

stating that any one that gets stuck is some

kind of idiot?

My very first experience of you and your good

ladies postings were to do with windbreaks and

how those that had them were labelled as some

form of sub-human derivative.

Since then you have often stated your views in

a forthright way.

No problem with that - but sadly you seem to get

angry very easily if we do not all agree with

you.

I never said what you infer I said re 2wd drivers

"Non-belivers" - never said anything of the sort

Have a glass of wine mate

Chill out

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

What made me use the term "non believers" was your post --- "the recent bad weather has underlined their benefits in spades. And with more to come it would seem that a lot of the population is about to get an education course in how capable any AWD vehicle is compared to one with just 2WD."

I took that as a comment aimed at your pro 4x4 gang to mean that those who are not so much anti as unconvinced might form a more positive opinion - Sorry Clive I can't take it to mean anything else. Please correct me if I wrong I wouldn't want to be seen as ARROGANT

My point was factual and I'm afraid possibly correct - The bad whether wasn't like incidents in the summer 04 where that whole town in the south west was washed away - people went out and got themselves stuck - in my mind stupid and possibly arrogant!!! .

Forthright views - certainly - arrogant well that's for my good lady to comment on and no one else.

Angry . Clive if there was one person who had the right to feel angry earlier this year it would be you (re the comments and antics of certain individuals)

Now where's the keys to my wine cellar !!!

Regards

MH

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

What made me use the term "non believers" was your post --- "the recent bad weather has underlined their benefits in spades. And with more to come it would seem that a lot of the population is about to get an education course in how capable any AWD vehicle is compared to one with just 2WD."

I took that as a comment aimed at your pro 4x4 gang to mean that those who are not so much anti as unconvinced might form a more positive opinion - Sorry Clive I can't take it to mean anything else. Please correct me if I wrong I wouldn't want to be seen as ARROGANT

My point was factual and I'm afraid possibly correct - The bad whether wasn't like incidents in the summer 04 where that whole town in the south west was washed away - people went out and got themselves stuck - in my mind stupid and possibly arrogant!!! .

Forthright views - certainly - arrogant well that's for my good lady to comment on and no one else.

Angry . Clive if there was one person who had the right to feel angry earlier this year it would be you (re the comments and antics of certain individuals)

Regards

MH
Monkey

Sorry if my comments upset you but with other comments on this board I presumed you where jumping on the bandwagon.

I am still not sure people made the wrong call, the road they got stuck on was a major trunk road for Cornwall and it would have been acceptable to expect the council to keep it open. maybe their faith in their council was the problem.

I have both a 4wd and 2wd and drive both all year, but given the choice as I am, I leave the MG on the drive in ice and snow and use the discovery.

The call of who would be safer in snow is a little more difficult. Even experienced drivers make mistakes and "believe" too much in their capabilities sometimes. the inexperienced driver may well take a more careful drive with the 4x4 offering better grip and control. Its all down to the driver, the choice of vehicle can only help with the situation.

Steve

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Steve,

No worries,

One thing hopefully I'll I never be guilty of is jumping on the bandwagon for the record both my outlaws drive 4x4's . I prefer to sit on the sideline - we don't own a 4x4 because it wouldn't suit our lifestyle or home life; a people carrier which my wife has is a far better bet.

As for me. A saloon car does all that I need all I ask of my cars is that they are safe, reliable and cost as little as possible to run. Hence Diesel, second-hand, full main dealer service history.

One thing I do believe in is that I should buy a car that's relatively home grown (produced inside the European union ) . If people want to site environmental credentials against 4x4's they should see how much CO2 and fossil fuel are burnt bring their car from the far-east to the UK. Believe me per car it runs into tons of fuel getting the thing here.

Regards MH

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I have to agree

Both my cars where made within 20 miles of the house and one of my bikes was made in hinkley.

in fact relatives helped to make the 2 cars

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thats the best way geordie - just dont give them the oxygen they crave by responding then I can guarantee they will die a death. They cant argue with themselves. If the government raise the Licence for 4x4s it will hit the owners, not them so why are they whinging, its not coming out of their pockets. I just wish His Moddyship would open a forum just for 4x4s then if its posted anywhere else he could move it to that forum. All you 4x4ers just dont let the b*ggers get to you because thats all they are trying to do.
Yes M,Lord you are 100% right there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Err! sorry guys

But if it costs a lot of the planet to import a car from far flung parts of the world to dear old blighty - does it not follow that it costs the equivelent to export UK products to the same said far flung places?

Not trying to to upset anyone - just trying to get EVERYONE to think in global terms - not NIMBY

Have a good w/e !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

Regards

MH

Surely a Forum like this is a good place to air views? It would be very boring if we all thought the same.

The discussion we have had here has allowed us to all have our say - agree to disagree and move on without anyone getting all bitter and twisted. Our agreeing to disagree as mature adults should be a good example to others - particularly those with a marsupial bent.

Surely this should Forum should be like a Pub conversation or a chat whilst enjoying each others company on a campsite.

My only worry is that at Easter when we hopefully all meet up we will have exhausted the conversation!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with L.B.lets talk about something sensible,like cows farting and all that methane gas polluting the atmosphere,forget 4x4's lets shoot all the cows.........

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cows! What about my dog!! In the car yesterday all he did was fart - and the weather was so bad you either let all the rain in and the stink out or visa verca.

Just as well I don't smoke anymore.

If I could conect him up to the LPG system I could save a fortune.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cows! What about my dog!! In the car yesterday all he did was fart - and the weather was so bad you either let all the rain in and the stink out or visa verca.

Just as well I don't smoke anymore.

If I could conect him up to the LPG system I could save a fortune.
Blaming the dog again eh, Clive....hehehe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So !!!!!!

Am I to take it that you Do Not find my dogs flatulence problem of INTEREST to you merv????? Hmmmmmm!

Theres me! - trying to smoothly change the subject and I am just NOT appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts