A bit hairy!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We only did 22 miles south on the M5 and it was a bit hairy with the wind really blowing a hooley! I like to think that ours is a fairly heavy outfit, but we were overtaken by a van pulling a single axle caravan as if we were standing still. I was doing about 55mph. No mirrors either.

Road was wet, but people did not seem to care when coming off slip roads and pulling out in front of you and only doing about 40mph. I could not change lane so needed to brake. Luckily I had anticipated that the car would do something stupid and had already started slowing down. The lady that was driving did not indicate and as far as I could tell even look in her side mirror!

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Unfortunately not unique experiences these days when on motorways.
In my experience it's the so called "professional" HGV drivers who used to be classed as "The Knights of the Road who are the worst offenders when it comes to bullying other road users and displaying a total lack of forward observation and planning. I used to think that they just had a thing about caravans but, if you watch they pull the same stunts on other HGV drivers too.
For instance, pulling off slip roads alongside other vehicles that cannot move over due to passing traffic forcing them to brake to avoid a collision. When did the rules about giving way or stopping on the slip road to give way to vehicles on the main carriageway change? My first experience of this while towing my caravan on the A1 through Newcastle Upon Tyne prompted me to get a dashcam fitted.
Overtaking other HGV's and travelling for often miles to do it when both vehicles are stuck at the maximum speed their speed limiters allow.
Pulling out into a non-existent gaps between vehicles overtaking them as if using the indicator justifies it.

I agree there are plenty of shocking car and van drivers out there but, the "professional" drivers should know better and certainly weren't taught to drive like they do.

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Currently residing at Old Oaks site nr Glastonbury after driving here today from West Oxon, leaving home around 11.30 and finally getting to site around 3.30 after a brief comfort break on the M5, and another stop at MJ LOVELL CARAVAN SERVICES in Highbridge to get me out of a pickle that saved the holiday ( another schoolboy error that happened before we had even set off but thankfully sorted by Marvellous Martin and Sam of MJ LOVELLS - can’t thank them enough for making the time and getting us safely on our way.
Blustery all the way down so I took it really steady, but many a towcar snd caravan went flying past me!!!
Had some fun setting the Dometic Air awning up but we managed it.
The onsite catering was just what we needed after such a day and now we can rest and relax.
I will upload some photos in due course.
Stay safe all
Steve

Reactions: Dustydog and Mel
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In my experience it's the so called "professional" HGV drivers who used to be classed as "The Knights of the Road who are the worst offenders when it comes to bullying other road users and displaying a total lack of forward observation and planning. I used to think that they just had a thing about caravans but, if you watch they pull the same stunts on other HGV drivers too.
For instance, pulling off slip roads alongside other vehicles that cannot move over due to passing traffic forcing them to brake to avoid a collision. When did the rules about giving way or stopping on the slip road to give way to vehicles on the main carriageway change? My first experience of this while towing my caravan on the A1 through Newcastle Upon Tyne prompted me to get a dashcam fitted.
Overtaking other HGV's and travelling for often miles to do it when both vehicles are stuck at the maximum speed their speed limiters allow.
Pulling out into a non-existent gaps between vehicles overtaking them as if using the indicator justifies it.

I agree there are plenty of shocking car and van drivers out there but, the "professional" drivers should know better and certainly weren't taught to drive like they do.
I am always extra wary of the non UK trucks with left hand drive.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
I am pleased you all made it safely to your destinations enjoy your breaks everyone .
Thanks,
What a day we had yesterday ( I am such a clot🤣)
Now revelling in the glory of time off work, nice peaceful site and not having to battle Easter traffic, even the weather has settled down a bit.
Hope everyone else is safe and well.

Steve

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My personal problem with drivers on motorways seems to be those leaving and staying in the next lane out despite being almost at an exit. They cut across often causing you to brake despite the act that if they had just dropped back and left behind me, the difference in journey time would almost certainly have been the same.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I wonder if the changes made by DVSA wrt the training requirements and by contracting out training and testing have contributed to the deterioration in standards of driving fir HGVs

The driver required an eyesight test as just along the road and visible is a roundabout so no multi point turn required. His satnav would have shown it even if not actually navigating the truck.

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
I have just been speaking to an HGV driver here on site and he said that driving standards have got worse - apparently now when you take the test to drive one you don’t even have to do any reversing at all.

• Wow
Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I have just been speaking to an HGV driver here on site and he said that driving standards have got worse - apparently now when you take the test to drive one you don’t even have to do any reversing at all.
That's for a car licence, reversing is certainly still a part of the HGV test. It has to be done, and passed, prior to leaving tge test centre. Tgere is talk kf tge reversing "test" being carried out, by the training school, prior to attending the test centre. What coukd possibly go wrong with that I wonder.

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
So, we are on a pitch on the section here at Old Oaks called the Top Oaks, with the pitch backed up to a hill…. I heard the patter of rain on the rooflight above the bed this afternoon while I was in the lounge area ( oooh get me, in the lounge area🤣🤣🤣), but the rain never reached the front of the caravan….
And there’s a remote controlled lawnmower cutting the grass in our area, and it’s still going after at least 5 hrs…. The invisible man must be knackered by now🤣🤣🤣

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
And how many caravanners can honestly reverse their caravan ?? Most forget our overall length is close on to that of an HGV or coach.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
I am always extra wary of the non UK trucks with left hand drive.
A lot of the left hand drive trucks are driven by UK, English people. I know as i used to drive one, left hookers we called them. Harry Voss was a Dutch company with orange wagons who had a base in the Scottish Borders and about 90% Scots drivers.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A lot of the left hand drive trucks are driven by UK, English people. I know as i used to drive one, left hookers we called them. Harry Voss was a Dutch company with orange wagons who had a base in the Scottish Borders and about 90% Scots drivers.
I don’t really fret about the nationality of the driver just the observation capability.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts