A recovery company for caravans only?

Apr 27, 2022
Visit site
I have a WAV ( wheelchair accessible vehicle) from motability, covered by RAC recovery. Their recovery for caravans is very limited, so does anyone know if there's a recovery co. out there who gives a great service if the CARAVAN alone breaks down? Thanks in advance

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You used to be able to ring the RAC and upgrade the caravan cover fairly cheaply, I have not heard about it recently but I would give it a try first.

Reactions: Sueh
Apr 27, 2022
Visit site
Thanks BB, my problem is I really don't need car recovery twice. With motabilty I'm covered anyway I just need a way of getting my caravan home safely if it breaks down. Seems if a vehicle doesn't have an engine they aren't really bothered.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks BB, my problem is I really don't need car recovery twice. With motabilty I'm covered anyway I just need a way of getting my caravan home safely if it breaks down. Seems if a vehicle doesn't have an engine they aren't really bothered.
To be honest the majority of caravanners will look to have both covered. There’s not much business for recovery companies just offering the service to the caravan only. The benefit of some of various recovery / breakdown plans is they will take you to your site, fetch you from the site and then sort out where you want the bits to finish up. In the overall scheme of things it’s a relatively modest premium which wouldn’t be much cheaper for caravan recovery only. That’s if you could obtain it nationwide.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Do RAC do a recovery policy only for a caravan and not including the car? The OPs car is covered already but their recovery company do not deal with a caravan breakdown or recovery.
Nope! When we had a mobility car for a short time, I had to have Mayday cover also as RAC will not recover the caravan, but this was back in 2010. Now I think you can pay extra for the caravan also to be covered.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Nope! When we had a mobility car for a short time, I had to have Mayday cover also as RAC will not recover the caravan, but this was back in 2010. Now I think you can pay extra for the caravan also to be covered.
I was playing devils advocate. The OP did say RAC do recovery for an extra payment via mobility but it’s very limited in what’s provided. So they we looking for a caravan specific recovery independent of the car.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The car is covered by the RAC so the caravan service would simply be an add on. Mayday and the like do not recover the car unless you own it and as far as I know there is no caravan only policy available.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
That is so long ago, you may as well state that the red flag man was not given a sandwich after 10 miles.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My Mayday will recover the car/ caravan to home or to the pitch and then if the car is not repaired, return the carand caravan to home, after your holiday, . £87 renewed 3 weeks ago.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When i rang them they said my caravan would be took home or caravan storage if my vehicle broke down .(Might have to send a email just paid the renewal)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is so long ago, you may as well state that the red flag man was not given a sandwich after 10 miles.
I am told that they will now recover car and caravan if the fault is with the car, but no onward journey etc. I don't have a mobility car so not sure what they offer now in the way of recovery if you are towing a caravan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When i rang them they said my caravan would be took home or caravan storage if my vehicle broke down .(Might have to send a email just paid the renewal)
Which company are you with? Why not just read your policy that came when you renewed it. That will tell you what is included and what is excluded.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Which company are you with? Why not just read your policy that came when you renewed it. That will tell you what is included and what is excluded.
Do they give you a breakdown policy? I think the breakdown is for the duration of the lease which is normally 3 years. The person with the mobility vehicle probably does not have the option to see the policy or renew it. Maybe BB can enlighten us?

Apr 27, 2022
Visit site
Well, here i am testing the RAC recovery after my August Post. I've been stranded in York for 2 days since calling the RAC . Admittedly they did come out, only to discover my 21 plate VW transporter has a non working alternator. The biggest problem they had is not getting the proper recovery vehicle to get my unit home. Now I'm on the caravan park, tomorrow is the national day of mourning for HM the Queen (god bless her) and im stuck until Tuesday where I've been promised the RAC will recover my VW but not my caravan. I've booked in for 8 more days to give them time to fix my vehicle. So now I'm having to join MayDay to get home. This is the abridged version though I suppose it will work out in the end

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sueh, I’m really sorry to hear your tale of woe especially when you took so much trouble to ask us guys……..
Who does what has been well documented on this thread. I can only hope you get things sorted and back to normal asap.
But thank you for telling us, hopefully other vulnerable persons will learn from your experience, sad as it is.

Reactions: WayneS
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I hope it all goes well for you, bad news that they cannot get an alternator for your VW. Especially as its a WAV .
Looks like you might be changing to Mayday. ??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts