A slight glitch?

Page 7 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Have I missed something? I understand the digital voice thing but isn’t that in addition to upgrading the land line to digital and ultimately greater digital use of fibre optic lines?

I read this in Roger’s attachment:
This new future-proof, digital landline technology is also a major step towards preparing the country for a Full Fibre future, in support of the UK Government’s gigabit connectivity ambitions.
The term landline really refers to the old telephone system that worked over wires. Digital Voice uses the broadband/fibre connection to carry the calls known as VoIP.

Wired telephone systems are no longer being sold - at least a stop sell is active in many areas. The idea is to retire all the wired systems by 2025 - but I suspect there may well be exceptions.

What's confusing at the moment is that many ISPs such as BT, Virgin, Sky etc are now only selling Fibre Broadband without mention of how you would make calls. This allows them to show a lower initial cost. Some have buried the details of how or even if you could add a digital voice telephone package.

The upside is that you can now shop around for Broadband and Telephone seperately.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The term landline really refers to the old telephone system that worked over wires. Digital Voice uses the broadband/fibre connection to carry the calls known as VoIP.

Wired telephone systems are no longer being sold - at least a stop sell is active in many areas. The idea is to retire all the wired systems by 2025 - but I suspect there may well be exceptions.

What's confusing at the moment is that many ISPs such as BT, Virgin, Sky etc are now only selling Fibre Broadband without mention of how you would make calls. This allows them to show a lower initial cost. Some have buried the details of how or even if you could add a digital voice telephone package.

The upside is that you can now shop around for Broadband and Telephone seperately.
Yep saw the catch when I logged into Plus net yesterday. Lower price does not include landline. I wonder what happens if you are in contract until Aug 2024 for a land line and broadband supply. If the supplier can no longer offer the landline from i.e. April 2024, then they have broken their contractual agreement.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our neighbours have Sky and Openreach installing a fibre system today. . I have now contracted Virgin for fibre broadband and “ landline”. They offered by far the best deal in terms of price and speed. Not many companies even offer “landline and some were exorbitantly expensive for anytime calls, or had quite slow broadband speeds circa 70mps or much less. So I spoke to EE, our current provider since 1999, and Virgin and Vodaphone. Virgin were the best offer and cheapest plus we get a recordable TV box, whatever that is. 😂

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Some, perhaps most, Fibre Broadband packages offered can use the copper cable from street cabinet to property if that's all that's available - we're at the end of a short private drive shared by 3 properties, we missed out when the rest of the street was originally cabled and up to now the ISPs won't extend the cable to our properties - we get about 70 Mbps over the copper wire so quite enough for our needs.

From what I can see, it's more expensive to get a VOIP subscription to retain the old landline number than it is to get a mobile phone sim-only deal - that may change as the switch-off gathers pace.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Plusnet have told me that the roll out on affects BT Customers and not customers for other providers? Very confusing for the lay person.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Our neighbours have Sky and Openreach installing a fibre system today. . I have now contracted Virgin for fibre broadband and “ landline”. They offered by far the best deal in terms of price and speed. Not many companies even offer “landline and some were exorbitantly expensive for anytime calls, or had quite slow broadband speeds circa 70mps or much less. So I spoke to EE, our current provider since 1999, and Virgin and Vodaphone. Virgin were the best offer and cheapest plus we get a recordable TV box, whatever that is. 😂
We used Virgin for a very long time. We had few technical problems and the technical support was good. We had the fibre to the box and 200mps. Plus TV and land line which was later swapped to VoIP. The TV box was very good.

We would have stayed with them, but the attitude of the sales team and the way I was dealt with, as well as a hike in prices. Together with the new availability of fibre to the home in our area, persuaded me to leave. Parting with Virgin was really difficult. Despite my making the application and completing all their forms, they kept sending threatening letters. One department has no idea what another is doing. Many hours were spent on the phone, without any continuity. Funny thing is, after all the false demands, they set me a cheque for £78. I accepted as a sort of compensation.

I went to Vodafone via City Fibre. I had to buy a recordable Freeview box, the only thing we loose out on is the number of channels we can record simultainiously.

We pay about half what we were paying with Virgin.

Contacting Vodafone is easy, and they do their best to help. But their ability does not always match their intensions.

The VoIP provided is free, but you can pay more for calls packages if you want.

We never use the VoIP to make calls, just to receive, (mostly spam). Also, it would not bother us to be without internet if we had a power cut. So an uninterrupted power supply has not been of interest. However, the cost of them has come down recently, so it may be worth considering.

A good point made earlier, (cannot remember who). regarding those who rely on copper wired systems for personal alarms.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We used Virgin for a very long time. We had few technical problems and the technical support was good. We had the fibre to the box and 200mps. Plus TV and land line which was later swapped to VoIP. The TV box was very good.

We would have stayed with them, but the attitude of the sales team and the way I was dealt with, as well as a hike in prices. Together with the new availability of fibre to the home in our area, persuaded me to leave. Parting with Virgin was really difficult. Despite my making the application and completing all their forms, they kept sending threatening letters. One department has no idea what another is doing. Many hours were spent on the phone, without any continuity. Funny thing is, after all the false demands, they set me a cheque for £78. I accepted as a sort of compensation.

I went to Vodafone via City Fibre. I had to buy a recordable Freeview box, the only thing we loose out on is the number of channels we can record simultainiously.

We pay about half what we were paying with Virgin.

Contacting Vodafone is easy, and they do their best to help. But their ability does not always match their intensions.

The VoIP provided is free, but you can pay more for calls packages if you want.

We never use the VoIP to make calls, just to receive, (mostly spam). Also, it would not bother us to be without internet if we had a power cut. So an uninterrupted power supply has not been of interest. However, the cost of them has come down recently, so it may be worth considering.

A good point made earlier, (cannot remember who). regarding those who rely on copper wired systems for personal alarms.

John
That’s a useful post, thank you. Leaving Virgin was a possible concern of mine, but I understand OFCOM took them to task and stipulated that they must improve and recognise leaving requests. From reading reviews it seems that it’s not such an issue now, and new providers manage the transfer. What year did you you leave Virgin?

Our daughter has a voip landline at no charge by Vodafone but pays for outgoing call only, which she never does.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
That’s a useful post, thank you. Leaving Virgin was a possible concern of mine, but I understand OFCOM took them to task and stipulated that they must improve and recognise leaving requests. From reading reviews it seems that it’s not such an issue now, and new providers manage the transfer. What year did you you leave Virgin?

Our daughter has a voip landline at no charge by Vodafone but pays for outgoing call only, which she never does.
We left them in 2022. I hope that they have improved. The internet and TV were fine, but customer service was rubbish. A couple of engineers even gave me their direct numbers (which they said was against company rules), because they knew how poor the customer service was.

The tipping point for me was the hike in prices, but their pricing system was a lottery anyway.

Our Vodafone voip is the same as your daughters. If they wanted to charge, I would not have paid, Mobiles and Facetime have taken over.

John

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks I have now fitted the unit and it seems to be working okay. In another thread you mentioned by using the inverter instead of above unit. Unfortunately where the router is located would mean another mains extension lead to power it i.e. TV and Freesat box are other side of the room. I really appreciate the help given to this numbie! LOL.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Each appliance that needs power to allow the TV to work will need to have access to either the UPS you have for the TV, or to have their own UPS's.

Do bear in mind that each time you add an appliance to any UPS. the load on the UPS will increase, and that will also increase the current draw on the battery feeding the UPS. This will reduce the UPS's running time or you might find your exceeding the UPS's output capability.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Each appliance that needs power to allow the TV to work will need to have access to either the UPS you have for the TV, or to have their own UPS's.

Do bear in mind that each time you add an appliance to any UPS. the load on the UPS will increase, and that will also increase the current draw on the battery feeding the UPS. This will reduce the UPS's running time or you might find your exceeding the UPS's output capability.
Thanks TV & Freesat will be run through the inverter. Together I think wattage is less the 60 watt. We have back up gas appliances for cooking.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Seems that all the issues have not been resolved. Went and checked on the CAMC website for the nightly price for the CL. CL not listed so contacted CL owner. CL owner advised me that they are still a CL, but owner had been wondering why enquiries have been so low especially for Easter weekend and assumed it was cost of living issues etc.

The CL is on the CL map, but nowhere else. It is Passage Farm in Gloucestershire if anyone else cares to check on the CAMC website.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly all CL's should check they are still there, although that sounds more like human error in possibly deleting the wrong site.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Possibly all CL's should check they are still there, although that sounds more like human error in possibly deleting the wrong site.
The CL owner may not be aware they are no longer on the system like the CL where we are booked. They were quite surprised when I told them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Have now had Virgin installed today. We ordered the system in February and with a couple of days the connection from across the road to the house had been installed. We then scheduled internal installation for today. Took 2.5 hrs and with the higher power hub strong signals both inside and outside the house. . Thus far very pleased with Virgins price, package and installation. So within a few weeks we have totally exited EE for broadband, mobiles and VoIP and we have been customers since they were One2One in 1999. But for this years renewals they were expensive and wouldn’t budge. So exit we did. Only problem I foresee is that with the virgin tv box my wife can record 6 channels whilst watching a seventh plus two more on the Freesat box. 😂

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have now had Virgin installed today. We ordered the system in February and with a couple of days the connection from across the road to the house had been installed. We then scheduled internal installation for today. Took 2.5 hrs and with the higher power hub strong signals both inside and outside the house. . Thus far very pleased with Virgins price, package and installation. So within a few weeks we have totally exited EE for broadband, mobiles and VoIP and we have been customers since they were One2One in 1999. But for this years renewals they were expensive and wouldn’t budge. So exit we did. Only problem I foresee is that with the virgin tv box my wife can record 6 channels whilst watching a seventh plus two more on the Freesat box. 😂
No way will we ever get cable at our location so seems you have a good deal. We have a normal old BT router and we can get signal all round our home and even at bottom of garden?

I wonder why they give consumers the facility to record 6 channels when it is simpler to dimply download the program? Also you need to find the time to watch the 6 hours of programs that only took one hour to record. LOL!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No way will we ever get cable at our location so seems you have a good deal. We have a normal old BT router and we can get signal all round our home and even at bottom of garden?

I wonder why they give consumers the facility to record 6 channels when it is simpler to dimply download the program? Also you need to find the time to watch the 6 hours of programs that only took one hour to record. LOL!
My wife likes recording as it's easier than going into watch lists or trying to remember what it is she wanted to watch. Particularly useful for series too, just fire and forget. But even she might find coping with six + 2 recording channels as TV rarely if ever goes on before 1800, unless there is aRugby match or something extra special such as a Coronation!!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My wife likes recording as it's easier than going into watch lists or trying to remember what it is she wanted to watch. Particularly useful for series too, just fire and forget. But even she might find coping with six + 2 recording channels as TV rarely if ever goes on before 1800, unless there is aRugby match or something extra special such as a Coronation!!
OH was the same but now prefers downloading as she can then watch several episodes one after the other instead of waiting several weeks for the whodunit! LOL!

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
But for this years renewals they were expensive and wouldn’t budge. So exit we did
If you think EE are bad, wait until Virgin hit you with their renewals.
Left them 18 months ago, and boy do Virgin make it difficult to leave!
So please to be out of their ecosystem after 23 years of being a loyal customer

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes John C said the same, but that problem is 18 months away for me.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We are with Virgin but we have not renewed they keep offering me some deals but i fancy a change so who are you with now .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are with Virgin but we have not renewed they keep offering me some deals but i fancy a change so who are you with now .
I can understand fancying a change of car, but why broadband supplier. Surely it’s down to what they offer compared to other suppliers offering? In my mind its a distress purchase when required.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm a serial switcher. Each year I review our contracts for just about anything and see if I can get a better deal. Its not just about price although that seems to be factor number one, but also service.

Consider broadband or mobile phone service providers - there are numerous vendors after your money. Some are cheaper than others but you have to consider the whole package.

At the moment I'm with BT for FTTP broadband. I can get it cheaper from Plusnet, who, are after all part of the same group. I've used them in the past and their customer service on the rare occasion I needed it was good. Only potential downside at the moment is that BT offer free wifi at many other venues that use BT.... our local cafes for example..... and I find this useful.

Numerous mobile phone service providers available but some cheaper than I currently have perhaps but no signal in my area or no Wifi Calling as an alternative. Some can't handle SMS codes - those from your bank for example. Some have rubbish customer service.

Its case of weighing up all the factors and picking the best option for your needs. Something that needs time to do but the winters can be a good time to start this.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had BT many years ago and remember at the Tavistock site there was no WiFi and mobile phone signal wasn’t good. But we could hotpot from BT service provided to some adjacent static caravans. Worked pretty well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts