A slight glitch?

Page 8 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I've just been given a Mifi gadget. 4G mobile router. I need to try it out for real somewhere where there's a decent signal. It does work here but a low data rate.

The idea is that it will save on the phone batteries as we usually tether Mrs V's phone to mine. But when set to Mobile Hotspot the battery life is noticeably shorter.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I've just been given a Mifi gadget. 4G mobile router. I need to try it out for real somewhere where there's a decent signal. It does work here but a low data rate.

The idea is that it will save on the phone batteries as we usually tether Mrs V's phone to mine. But when set to Mobile Hotspot the battery life is noticeably shorter.
I could never see the point of a MiFi. The phone tethering worked fine for us and gives the opportunity to use two services without needing to pay for an extra SIM card for the MiFi. Batteries can be supplemented with a charger or battery bank. But modern smart phones give a good life now.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm a serial switcher. Each year I review our contracts for just about anything and see if I can get a better deal. Its not just about price although that seems to be factor number one, but also service.

Its case of weighing up all the factors and picking the best option for your needs. Something that needs time to do but the winters can be a good time to start this.

What i find annoying now is that very few companies offer 12 month contracts preferring to tout the longer 18 or 24 month contract.

We are on a rolling monthly contract with Three and yesterday got a text stating that in line with Dec CPI rate of 3.9%, the Dec 2023 CPI rate is 4% which means that this year's price increase is 7.9% so my bill will increase by about £1.45

Unfortunately this will require shopping around for a better deal, requesting a PAC number then waiting for the Three rep to come up with a better offer. and hopefully lower than what we are currently paying.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

We normally leave the phone plugged in when using it to download data and generally this is in the evenings.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I could never see the point of a MiFi. The phone tethering worked fine for us and gives the opportunity to use two services without needing to pay for an extra SIM card for the MiFi. Batteries can be supplemented with a charger or battery bank. But modern smart phones give a good life now.

John
I'm inclined to agree but this was a free item so I thought I'd try it out.

Phone battery life is good these days but the more often you charge it the shorter it's life gets. Not really a big deal since the Mifi would only be used infrequently so not much of a saving in terms of phone battery life.

I only use PAYG Sims so getting a second sim to try this out actually didn't cost much (actually nothing because of referral bonus) and if it doesn't seem worthwhile I can put it into my phone which supports two Sims and use the remaining credit. Then I can use one for the calls and the other for the data.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Same thing really
Is it? IMO, streaming decodes content for immediate viewing and retains nothing, where downloading retains content to view as you wish. In the case of BBC and Netflix and others. They can download in an encrypted form which can only be played back by those with authorisation. Otherwise, their content is streamed.

My set top box works both ways, I can download content, but only from terrestrial sources, (Freeview) . But it does not allow downloading from payed for services. Only streaming.

I think the difference can be important for caravaners. Content can be downloaded at home. And played while away if there is poor reception preventing streaming.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Maybe that's how some define it but in either case you are downloading data to your device.

In some cases for video streaming you can either download and keep the video to watch later or watch it as its being downloaded. Either way data has to be downloaded to your machine.

Semantics eh! :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In my experience no.
When SWMBO is watching a streaming football match it keeps stopping and starting . Once downloaded play appears continuous
That could be because of weak signal, but more than likely buffering when streaming. Never had the issue so unaware of it. Lucky us. LOL!

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
We are with Virgin but we have not renewed they keep offering me some deals but i fancy a change so who are you with now .
Plusnet, absolutely rock solid performance, so much cheaper than Virgin, a wifi router that actually works and a fixed ip address which is not a concern for a normal user, but a godsend for a tinkerer like myself

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Plusnet, absolutely rock solid performance, so much cheaper than Virgin, a wifi router that actually works and a fixed ip address which is not a concern for a normal user, but a godsend for a tinkerer like myself
I don’t think that Plusnet offer VoIP for retaining a landline which was one of our requirements.

Plusnet 300mb is £30.99pm with no voip available and 24 month contract. Our Virgin is hitting 270mb with Virgin 360 tv box on 18 months for £31.66pm and we get Anytime landline via VOIP.

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I've currently got VoIP with BT but will be getting rid of that when the contract is up for renewal in a couple of months. I guess the important consideration in ditching VoIP is whether or not you can afford to lose your conventional landline number.

Since we've had Wifi calling we use the mobiles pretty much all the time for calls as its cheaper than BT's VoIP. I've been monitoring the number of incoming calls on the landline number and its virtually none. I've also been going into our online accounts and the important services and ensuring that the contact number is our mobile(s). So I think the switch off of VoIP for me will not cause any problems.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My turn for a glitch which is driving me mad.
My National Lottery account no longer works on my iPad but is fine on the iphone which are synchronised.
BT provide my router etc. And VPN is currently turned off .

I get this rubbish https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/v/geo/block.html.

I did that computer chat line with their rep who couldn’t help other than tell my internet provider BT is supplying me from outside the UK.Am I alone🙀

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've currently got VoIP with BT but will be getting rid of that when the contract is up for renewal in a couple of months. I guess the important consideration in ditching VoIP is whether or not you can afford to lose your conventional landline number.

Since we've had Wifi calling we use the mobiles pretty much all the time for calls as its cheaper than BT's VoIP. I've been monitoring the number of incoming calls on the landline number and its virtually none. I've also been going into our online accounts and the important services and ensuring that the contact number is our mobile(s). So I think the switch off of VoIP for me will not cause any problems.
I’m working in that direction for 18 months time. Kids,grandkids and most friends use our landline and we do for calling them. It rarely catches us out on battery life as it sits on its charger at night.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Maybe that's how some define it but in either case you are downloading data to your device.

In some cases for video streaming you can either download and keep the video to watch later or watch it as its being downloaded. Either way data has to be downloaded to your machine.

Semantics eh! :)
But not retained if streaming. Which is a crucial distinction if you are in the middle of a field with no terrestrial, or WiFi signal.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
True but data is still downloaded. There's no other way you're going to get it.
Obviously. But the distinction is still necessary depending on the function required. If it is good enough for the BBC, and others, I will stick with it.

If I was told something was ‘downloaded’ I would assume it was available until deleted, (or, in the case of encrypted stuff, until the licence expired).

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My turn for a glitch which is driving me mad.
My National Lottery account no longer works on my iPad but is fine on the iphone which are synchronised.
BT provide my router etc. And VPN is currently turned off .

I get this rubbish https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/v/geo/block.html.

I did that computer chat line with their rep who couldn’t help other than tell my internet provider BT is supplying me from outside the UK.Am I alone🙀
The national lottery needs it s software modified. We used to get a similar issue when on the continent. You couldn't access your account!

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think that Plusnet offer VoIP for retaining a landline which was one of our requirements.

Plusnet 300mb is £30.99pm with no voip available and 24 month contract. Our Virgin is hitting 270mb with Virgin 360 tv box on 18 months for £31.66pm and we get Anytime landline via VOIP.
Hi Clive that sounds like the ideal package is movies included thanks for your input (y)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clive that sounds like the ideal package is movies included thanks for your input (y)
It took some negotiating and I dread to think what it will be when the contract ends in 18 months, but that is tomorrow’s challenge. If you think you may go to Virgin PM me as the refer a friend would give us both £50 if you do sign up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts