A slight glitch?

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
What happens with Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) which can be set up to allow the nominated attorneys to handle financial matters during permanent disability or temporary disability - use a photo of the account holder to gain access?
Easy, my son and daughter both hold our LPA, They both hold the manual password to the password manager and to the phone and iPad’s. Also, within the vaults of the manager, I have listed bank account details and the will holding company.

When the time comes, (and it does). Sorting out estates is often very difficult.

A friend has just done it for his partner's mother. Took about 2 years and included finalising her husband's affairs who had passed about ten years previous. And he was not even a beneficiary.

My son just did it for his mother in laws old friend, The only benificiery was her disabled son. She wanted him to manage the estate. He drew the line at that and appointed a solicitor.

At least when we kick the bucket, son and daughter will do very nicely. So the work will be worth it.

All important stuff to be organised.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Easy, my son and daughter both hold our LPA, They both hold the manual password to the password manager and to the phone and iPad’s. Also, within the vaults of the manager, I have listed bank account details and the will holding company.

When the time comes, (and it does). Sorting out estates is often very difficult.

A friend has just done it for his partner's mother. Took about 2 years and included finalising her husband's affairs who had passed about ten years previous. And he was not even a beneficiary.

My son just did it for his mother in laws old friend, The only benificiery was her disabled son. She wanted him to manage the estate. He drew the line at that and appointed a solicitor.

At least when we kick the bucket, son and daughter will do very nicely. So the work will be worth it.

All important stuff to be organised.

John
I had LPOA for my father and am I glad I did as it would have been impossible to manage his affairs when he rapidly slipped into vascular dementia. Based in that experience we had LPOA for finance and health. Like yourself our son and daughter have details of accounts and access, plus my son can take over my Apple account as without a pre agreed recipient it can be a long drawn out nightmare. Because on death my banks freeze payments so even knowing access passwords if the monthly debit isn’t paid the access is denied.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
V9tPfqK-WC"G0,3n+$}Jl3PM#R=yP-l%

This is a typical password generated by my password manager. I certainly do not remember them. To use it I just need access to the vault. The password for this I have hidden in my files. But in normal use, it opens with facial recognition. Easy and quick.

My bank account opens almost instantly. On two phones and two iPads. And I believe the security is excellent.

Same with paying using my phone. Just two clicks, show my face and pay.

I understand that lots of people are very nervous about taking such a plunge, but the banks are happy with the security provided.

John
Hi John my bank similar to me on two phones and one laptop on my mobile they send me a code to make a payment let say a holiday i put my code in and postcode and it paid and so far been very happy with there security (y)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi John my bank similar to me on two phones and one laptop on my mobile they send me a code to make a payment let say a holiday i put my code in and postcode and it paid and so far been very happy with there security (y)
However the CAMC website which is being discussed is still down so cannot log in with any password?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Surprised they didn’t require a password reset to login. Maybe the problem hasn’t affect member details. But I think I would update password for my own peace of mind.
Is there any point as they may already have your details? CAMC seem very reluctant to update members whether there has been a breach of members data?

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Surprised they didn’t require a password reset to login. Maybe the problem hasn’t affect member details. But I think I would update password for my own peace of mind.
Good point, I planned to do that but had forgotten - password now updated!

Even if unnecessary, it's no trouble and a good practice anyway.

Reactions: JTQ

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
updating my password today on CAMC has been a positive decision
It is hard to think of any positive reason not to update this password, and reasonably regularly, any of those used for organisations that hold what you feel is your identity info.
Whilst not getting overly hung up on security, it is one area a sensible approach, makes "sense", together with one easily done.

Probably better more constructive use of our time than sat here posting on forums! ;)

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Is there any point as they may already have your details? CAMC seem very reluctant to update members whether there has been a breach of members data?
They may not yet be sure.

Or they may have found that a small number of members had their details compromised, and they've already notified them privately.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is hard to think of any positive reason not to update this password, and reasonably regularly, any of those used for organisations that hold what you feel is your identity info.
Whilst not getting overly hung up on security, it is one area a sensible approach, makes "sense", together with one easily done.

Probably better more constructive use of our time than sat here posting on forums! ;)
A hacker does not require a password to hack a website like the CAMC. PC etc as they simply by pass security passwords. Once they are in and have your data, why would they want your password?

I would think that Passwords are there to prevent "Joe Soap" down the road from accessing your data however there is no harm in constantly updating a password.

None of know if the data held by the CAMC has been compromised as they are still not updating members.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They may not yet be sure.

Or they may have found that a small number of members had their details compromised, and they've already notified them privately.
That is true, but they should also update all members that there has been a data breach that has affected only a small number of members who have been contacted directly.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In this general subject of access to your digital information and your files etc has anyone set up a Legacy Contact. On your death they can present a death certificate and via a preset code can then manage your account to wind it down and transfer information/records etc across for their retention if required. Without a Legacy Contact(s) it’s the devils own job to gain access. Unless of course you give someone your details before hand.

Reactions: Buckman

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
According to this morning's CAMC news update, the club are very close to restoring their website, and technicians have 'no evidence' that and members data has been compromised.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I ordered the mini UPS unit, but somewhere along the line it got lost however prompt refund from Amazon.
I must admit I am not really bothered about having a power outage for Upto maybe 12 hours.
I would rather buy a power back up to maintain my kindle .
Are you not getting paranoid about not having power or do you need UPS for Health maintenance.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Because of the switch away from conventional wired telephones to digital voice over the internet, then no power, no telephone. If you can't get a mobile signal or don't have a mobile phone you could have problems calling emergency services.

2025 is the supposed end date for telephones over wire.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The rollout in our area is supposed to be done by Spring. We do have concerns regarding medical issues due to low or no mobile phone service.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The rollout in our area is supposed to be done by Spring. We do have concerns regarding medical issues due to low or no mobile phone service.
The given advice is to contact your broadband provider and discuss it with them when the time for changeover is notified. You aren’t the only one, and some will have systems in the home such as security alarms, and medical/energency call fobs to alert a response center. All of which currently rely on the copper lines and have to be dealt with.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Have I missed something? I understand the digital voice thing but isn’t that in addition to upgrading the land line to digital and ultimately greater digital use of fibre optic lines?

I read this in Roger’s attachment:
This new future-proof, digital landline technology is also a major step towards preparing the country for a Full Fibre future, in support of the UK Government’s gigabit connectivity ambitions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts