alko spare wheel carrier

May 5, 2005
Visit site
there are spare wheel carriers on ebay anybody used tehm or a genuine alko one would like to fit one to sterling jewel to get more locker room.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have used the Alko one for a number of years.

They free up locker space and put the heavy spare wheel behind the axle.

Its important to keep the slides well lubricated as pulling the spare wheel out is one of the most awkward mauling jobs usually requiring lying on the ground to do it .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, I don't know if you have an alko or BPW chssis. I have BPW and it has the holes already fitted for an alko carrier.

I have a carrier fitted which is similar to one currently on ebay item 4576757540, which is basicaly a single tube with a cross section for the wheel to sit on.

The one on ebay is as good as any of these types. It is important to take it apart twice a year and grease the section that slots into the largeer box section. If you don't it may be a hack saw job to get it apart. It is important with the cross section to keep that greased as you need to pull it towards the chssis so that when it is lowered it will clear it whilst being pulled out. I am relatively fit for my age but wouldn't underestimate the strength required to drop it or lift it back into position especially if the puncture was on the side which is lowered - that applies to all of them, including the alko.

Make sure that if you have 14inch wide profile tyres that it is not too large or you may find it hitting the floor before it is in position, alko do different sizes. Check there are no obstructions i.e. gas pipes, heating ducts etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fitted an Alko spare wheel carrier last year, not only did it lighten the nose weight but the van is even more stable when towing. If the chasis is suitable I would definatley reckomend the Alko carrier. Only thing is whilst it frees up space in the front locker dont be tempted to re fill it with othere items.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fitted an Alko spare wheel carrier last year, not only did it lighten the nose weight but the van is even more stable when towing. If the chasis is suitable I would definatley reckomend the Alko carrier. Only thing is whilst it frees up space in the front locker dont be tempted to re fill it with othere items.
You mean I shouldn't have 2 aquarolls, a watering can,a satellite dish,levelling blocks,wheel chocks,water pump,etc,etc!!

Nose weight is less than that permitted by Swift/Nissan even so !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Would suggest that you approach your purchase with some caution. A couple of years ago I had a new Crusader. The spare wheel carrier supplied was withdrawn by Explorer Group -a very responsible act. The replacement carrier looked VERY similar to the one originally supplied. You pays yer money............

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You mean I shouldn't have 2 aquarolls, a watering can,a satellite dish,levelling blocks,wheel chocks,water pump,etc,etc!!

Nose weight is less than that permitted by Swift/Nissan even so !
Nope I mean you shouldnt use the space to over load the nose weight. As to your outfit/ nose weight, I wouldnt be expected to know individual combinations.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David I fitted the Alko carrier to my Sterling Eccles Jewel last year without any problems. Would just reiterate what others have already said, It's not the easiest accessable item on the 'van when fitted, but you're right that it does free up usable space in the front locker. Go for it and hopefully you'll never have to use the spare anyway!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nope I mean you shouldnt use the space to over load the nose weight. As to your outfit/ nose weight, I wouldnt be expected to know individual combinations.
Del,of course you wouldn't be expected to know individual combinations and your advice was very sound.

Sorry I couldn't resist poking fun at myself and all the clutter we gather.It doesn't always come across as intended when you have a twisted sense of humour like mine.Regards John

TRENDING THREADS