Alternative to Puriclean from local stores

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi folks,

We are intending to sterilise the caravan tomorrow and can’t find the Puriclean tub

Can anyone recommend and alternative to Puriclean, available at local stores

and do you need to flush the pipes out with 2 x barrels of clean water after?

Thanks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I tend to get my Puriclean from Go Outdoors,
Also remove your filter, and throw it away, or boil it for 15 minutes, in a saucepan. .
I don't use the filters any more, we drink the water from the taps , never had problems, only time we have needed to buy bottled water was for the dogs as the water was to high in chlorine. That's also in France as well over 5 years of touring.
I leave the Puriclean in the system for 2 hours then rinse with 1 Aqua roll of water. Remember to clean the tap end filters, they clog up easily, just unscrew, and back flush or drop in vinegar for 15 minutes to get rid of chalk.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Do you think we really need to flush through this time?

The caravan has been sitting for just over 5 months, and we don’t drink the water just boil for coffee

Just been reading this thread and some comments are varied

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I would, as water sitting in contact with air will create biological stuff. During normal use I wouldn't bother but after 5 months , even having showers you could get contact, and if your immune system is not good, well.

Us old folk that would caravan and camp in mud and have water flexible containers that doubles as pillows, never got a full wash for a week touring Europe on a motor bike, built up immunity to bugs.
Let kids play in the grass and swim in fairly clean rivers, build immunity.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There is no point in sterilisation of the system if the filter is not replaced afterwards. I would suggest dumping the filter altogether as it will harbour a lot of bacteria.

However to get back to your question go to a local store that sells brewing kits and buy the VWP sterilisation powder there. It is probably the same Puriclean in different packaging and cheaper!

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is no point in sterilisation of the system if the filter is not replaced afterwards. I would suggest dumping the filter altogether as it will harbour a lot of bacteria.

However to get back to your question go to a local store that sells brewing kits and buy the VWP sterilisation powder there. It is probably the same Puriclean in different packaging and cheaper!
Considering that you don’t use a great deal of Puriclens and it’s not that expensive why not just buy the proper stuff as it’s most likely only going to be used a couple of times per year. That way the uncertainty of “ probably” is removed. Says he who used Milton for years in times passed 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Yes going to get the proper stuff :)

Just out of curiosity, some of you have your caravans in storage? How do you flush out the system before going on holidays, if you live miles away and need water?

We can fill an aqua roll with water but as I have now read, you really want to flush the system with 2-3 more drums of clean water after the Periclean.

Lastly where are the filters hidden that I need to replace? Is it contained in the inside of the hose that drops into the drum of water or is there also a filter elsewhere?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes going to get the proper stuff :)

Just out of curiosity, some of you have your caravans in storage? How do you flush out the system before going on holidays, if you live miles away and need water?

We can fill an aqua roll with water but as I have now read, you really want to flush the system with 2-3 more drums of clean water after the Periclean.

Lastly where are the filters hidden that I need to replace? Is it contained in the inside of the hose that drops into the drum of water or is there also a filter elsewhere?
Most storage will have a cold water supply somewhere. Or if not and it cannot be done at home just buy a couple of cheap 20 litre water containers. Sterilise the aquaroll at home before going to do the caravan. Then you will have 40 litres available at storage. Then rinse aquaroll when home.

Your owners manual should show where the filter is. Some are cartridges located in the cold supply to the sink tap and generally under the worktop near to the tap. Others can be in the water inlet housing itself. If there’s an external water pump there’s only a strainer fitted to it, the filter if fitted will be as above.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Considering that you don’t use a great deal of Puriclens and it’s not that expensive why not just buy the proper stuff as it’s most likely only going to be used a couple of times per year. That way the uncertainty of “ probably” is removed. Says he who used Milton for years in times passed 🤣🤣🤣
Milton has served me well. Can leave a taint if the system isn’t fully rinsed.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They are both exactly the same with no difference and both come from the same factory.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Flojet had a filter but it was a particulate filter to protect the pump from dirt ingress. The caravan also came with a filter in the cold water system to the kitchen cold tap. That filter was for conditioning the cold water by improving its taste. As said in previous posts some caravans have a conditioning filter on the mains inlet to the caravan. Can you be clearer please on what filter you seek information on. The thread on Truma Ultraflow may help too.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022
Visit site
just wondering if you are sterilising the water system dont the filters also get sterilised ar the same time can understand replacing if clogged up with limes cale but cant you use one of the of the counter products to clean away the lime scale It is only my second season as a caravan owner so there are still a lot of thing to learn and building up confidence that you other's take in you stride

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
just wondering if you are sterilising the water system dont the filters also get sterilised ar the same time can understand replacing if clogged up with limes cale but cant you use one of the of the counter products to clean away the lime scale It is only my second season as a caravan owner so there are still a lot of thing to learn and building up confidence that you other's take in you stride
The Trauma filters seem to be very suseptable to blocking up when using, Puriclean in the system. I have removed mine from the housing and just refitted the cap. Also in the winter they tend to hold water and will crack the housing in freezing weather.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Whale WF3000 is recommended to be changed every 30 days!
They are sealed. I never use Milton or puriclean on them . And do change them twice a season. We dry them thoroughly after each use. I wonder how they will perform if washed in boiling water🤔🤔😜

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
They types of filters used in caravans utilise carbon granules usually retained in bags made from paper based material. The action of the sterilisers tends break down the bags, releasing the carbon granules which can flow through the water system and get caught in non return valves preventing them from working correctly.

Before sterilising always either remove the filter and discard it or make sure you don't allow the sterilising fluid to remain in the system for too long.

Realistically if you are only caravanning in the UK or EU. strictly you do not need a filter as water supplies should meet EU safety regs, so if you can completely remove the filter and either reroute the pipework to bypass it or refit the filter cap without a filter to keep the system water tight then that should be fine.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
How has mankind managed to survive up until now?

Never put anything through my leisure vehicles water system other than once after initial acquisition! I am 70 and have been using leisure vehicles of all descriptions for 25+ years without issue. Others are, to my mind, somewhat obsessive about "germs" Their life, their choices of course.

Having said that I/we have always use old 5 litre "designer water" containers for our drinking/teeth cleaning etc water, and always sterilise them before each trip away.. Cooking water gets boiled so that sterilises it anyway!

One thing is certain, sloshing some sterilising liquid through your water system certainly cannot do any harm, whether its necessary is of course an entirely different matter :unsure:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts