Anyone had issues with a detachable Witter Tow Ball unlocking?

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I’m having right issues trying to unlock our detachable swan Witter towball

The connection is all correct and green, then it was locked, but now it can’t be unlocked for some reason

I have tried everything, but don't want to snap the key.

We only have one of the keys as the caravan dealership has the other (work getting done), so I’m hoping we just have a dodgy key

If not then I don’t know what to do, as the Towbar was fitted by an Auto Electrical in Aberdeen, its not an approved Witter fitter

So I’m hoping if the second still won’t unlock, then it’s a warranty claim with the Auto Electrics company

Anyone else had the same issue?

IMG_0795.jpegIMG_0796.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’d find it difficult to understand how even a non approved towbar fitting company could affect the mating of the towball to the towbar. The towbar basically just has a socket that the towball latches in to.

Are you dead certain that you are doing it iaw the Witter instructions. Sometimes they can be fiddly. A light application of WD40 or GT85 into the lock might help. Don’t be concerned using WD40 in this instance as need must. But I’m sure the anti WD40 folks will rise up😱

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Mine proved so difficult, fiddly, it remains a permanent fixture on the car!
My Tow bar fitter showed me twice . He made it look so,easy but it isn’t!

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Take a look at your other post regarding the AlKo wheel lock, I've commented on your towbar there.
As Dustydog says, I'd start off by giving the lock shown in the picture a good squirt with GT-85 or WD-40 and gently wiggle the key in the lock to see if it frees up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
It’s not the actually Towball, it’s the lock :(

I can’t turn the key, which I was able to turn last week, after I inserted the whole towball mechanism.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This may help as it’s real world experience from folks who have had same problem as you.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the the witter dt fitted found only way to remove had to lay on back to be able to apply enough humph to push and turn the release knob, after struggling with the key. It's left in place now.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The lock secures from theft but does nothing for the fit of the ball to the car. So at the moment, you won't be able to remove it. I see there is a number on the lock. I tried googling IR04 and 1R04 to no avail, you may try asking a locksmith if it means anything.

I would wait until you get the other key back, then get a spare cut.

John

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Yeh some people are suggesting it's the Towball and trying different techniques, but its the actual key which needs to unlock I'm having problems with.

Onnce unlocked I can then press in the knob and turn to release the towball :)

I have emailed the company who fitted the Towbar and are looking into it with their Towbar guy, at the end of the day it's supposed to detach/attach.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
It’s TR04 key available from Witter

Have you tried WD40? Or similar
Yes it's TR04, which is also engraved on the Key which I have.

No not tried WD40 just yet,

It's brand new and fitted only this once, I wouldn't have thought anything would have built up, or could get past the key door.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes it's TR04, which is also engraved on the Key which I have.

No not tried WD40 just yet,

It's brand new and fitted only this once, I wouldn't have thought anything would have built up, or could get past the key door.
It might just be a tiny bit of road grit imperceptible when you tried the key into the lock.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Ok result but bad news

I sprayed a little WD40 inside and tried again with the key, I pushed and the key sort of clicked as it turned, and it opened up. I managed to push the knob back in, turned and the towball fell out.

I then armed it again and pushed it in, it locked in place and I turned the key which again was a bit sticky, and as I turned it came totally loose.

The actual barrel for the lock pulled out as I lifted out the key, luckily the towball isn’t locked and I can free that out but turning the knob (not sure if I can pull a caravan like that tho)

But I can see the barrel must have been faulty!

IMG_1767.jpeg

IMG_1768.jpeg

IMG_1770.jpeg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ok result but bad news

I sprayed a little WD40 inside and tried again with the key, I pushed and the key sort of clicked as it turned, and it opened up. I managed to push the knob back in, turned and the towball fell out.

I then armed it again and pushed it in, it locked in place and I turned the key which again was a bit sticky, and as I turned it came totally loose.

The actual barrel for the lock pulled out as I lifted out the key, luckily the towball isn’t locked and I can free that out but turning the knob (not sure if I can pull a caravan like that tho)

But I can see the barrel must have been faulty!

View attachment 5700

View attachment 5701

View attachment 5702
Ring witter customer services.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don’t get it fitted by them, they will just direct me to the place of fitting
I was thinking of seeking advice on what’s best to proceed with. If there’s a defect in the towball assembly the whole thing should be replaced. But yes it will be your supplier who sorts it.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Just to clarify, me spraying some WD40 into the lock mechanism hasn’t done anything different, and I’ve not messed up any warranty claim now

Bit worried now I’ve broken any warranty I had using WD40

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Cannot envisage such a situation. If it’s a concern to you clean and wipe everything with electrical contact cleaner isopropyl or meths, and say nothing. From your description the barrel retention hadn’t gone in properly. Did the fitter set and insert the lock barrel or did it come fitted.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
We handed the car in and got it back all completed, not sure what all happened in the background

Not sure if I can clean out the lot of WD40 as its completely in the mechanism

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS