Anyone had issues with a detachable Witter Tow Ball unlocking?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We handed the car in and got it back all completed, not sure what all happened in the background

Not sure if I can clean out the lot of WD40 as its completely in the mechanism
Meths or isopropyl if you have any. But I really cannot envisage that the wd40 has caused the barrel to eject. More likely it wasn’t inserted properly.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I just googled using WD40 in a key lock and everywhere suggests not to use it :(

I may just leave it as is, I don’t want to try adding more chemicals which may make it worse than it already is.

The guy from the fitting place is calling me tomorrow, so I’ll have to say I sprayed some WD40 in then tried the key 10seconds after spraying. Surely that would be ok, but I just hope he doesn’t say I’ve voided the warranty….

It costs roughly £300 for a new SQ5 Swan bar on its own, I’m thinking I should have just left it, hope I’m ok

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Using WD 40 on a sticky lock isn’t a deal breaker imo. Trying to apply other chemicals may be a problem.
Hope the tow bar firm resolve the issue for you, and show you how ”easy” it is to operate 😉

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst you wouldn’t use WD 40 regularly to lubricate locks, there are dedicated lock lubricants, but one shot to see if it helps release a stuck key isn’t going to do any harm.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst you wouldn’t use WD 40 regularly to lubricate locks, there are dedicated lock lubricants, but one shot to see if it helps release a stuck key isn’t going to do any harm.
I tended to use a silicon lubricant, or Teflon based like GT85. Some recommend graphite powder dry lub, but it can build up if used incorrectly and absorb moisture or oils. Whereas silicon and Teflon do not absorb or bond with contaminant.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Same issue

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Same issue

That’s an Interesting thread, so you are not unique. Hopefully it can be sorted but I’d still contact Witter to discuss and advise as if your technician fits a new lock body you don’t know if the fault may be with the towball and it could crop up again.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
At worst the spare part needed will be a new barrel with its keys; yours looks a standard enough item, costing typically about £10 to £20.
I had elsewhere to replace one that was "troublesome".

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
I had the same problem with the same detachable towbar,short fix was wd40 but it was all of the road grime that was still inside and problem arose again so I had to dismantle locking mechanism and clean and lightly grease inner parts which done the job but was very awkward and I wouldn't be wanting to do it again.....we have a different car now and I had a normal fixed towbar fitted!!

May 10, 2020
Visit site
I would question the design of positioning a lock of that nature where it would be exposed to road dirt and water. 🤔 Must be a better way to secure the ball.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I hardly ever use WD40 in locks preferring to use a graphite spray. Seems to be better than WD 40 which is brilliant in many other applications where plastic components are not involved.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would question the design of positioning a lock of that nature where it would be exposed to road dirt and water. 🤔 Must be a better way to secure the ball.
I’ve never had any problems with detachable locking tow balls, mostly Witter and one Brink. But they were regularly lubricated and the towbar socket would also be cleaned out. I generally removed the towball and stowed it in the boot after arriving back home. Had to carry it in two cars as the towbar fitment removed the rear towing eye facility.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Though it is a "detachable" so the period of exposure ought to be only whilst it is actually needed, the bigger exposure risk will come if we don't use it as intended. I always remove ours, can't see a good reason not to and several reasons why I should.

If you can't get round to removing it then stick an Elastoplast patch or similar over the port with the barrel.

Reactions: Hutch and Ferrodo
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When I had a detachable towbar on a Vectra, I never used to lock it. The release knob always clicked back into place when the towball was fitted into the socket.
So to answer Saxos question , yes you can still use the towball.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With the discussion relating to lubrication of locks the following links may be of interest.

For some years on our domestic or caravan locks I have used silicon or ptfe based lubricants ( WD 40 silicon and GT85 ptfe).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unless there is something inside the lock or socket mechanism that will react with WD40, I would be very disappointed if the manufacturer denied any liability on the basis of the exposure to WD40 if there is a genuine fault.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Ok good news folks, and absolute fantastic service from the Auto Electrics in Aberdeen.

The manager called me up and was surprised by the Email I sent this morning, which included photos of the barrel, and I also mentioned that I sprayed a little WD40 inside. He fully agreed this shouldn't have happened, and had already contacted Witter who are now sending him a full neck kit, not sure what all will be in it

He is just going to send me the kit once it arrives, then send it to my house address using parcelforce, and I can pick out the brand new Swan Neck and new keys.

Absolute brilliant service, and all the worry has gone :)

Thanks all to the help on here again.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Ok good news folks, and absolute fantastic service from the Auto Electrics in Aberdeen.

The manager called me up and was susprised by the Email I sent this morning, which included photos of the barrel, and I also mentioned that I sprayed a little WD40 inside. He fully agreed this shouldn't have happened, and had already contacted Witter who are now sending him a full kit, which includes the bumper bar, wiring etc.

He is just going to send me the full kit once it arrives, then send it to my house address using parcelforce, and I can pick out the brand new Swan Neck and new keys.

Fantastic service. Perhaps they suspected something more sinister going on. From earlier posts, I just suspected a faulty cylinder which could have been easily updated.

Nice to have a good result.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

The manager called me up and was susprised by the Email I sent this morning, which included photos of the barrel, and I also mentioned that I sprayed a little WD40 inside. He fully agreed this shouldn't have happened, and had already contacted Witter who are now sending him a full neck kit, not sure what all will be in it

He is just going to send me the kit once it arrives, then send it to my house address using parcelforce, and I can pick out the brand new Swan Neck and new keys.

That’s excellent customer service.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......I have been involved with fitting a complete new towbar to a new to me car.
The used car came fitted with a towbar but the detachable tow ball and the socket it fits into had been removed and was not available to me.
I tried to purchase these components but Tow Trust refused to supply.
I was informed this was a safety policy as they had no knowledge of the history of the components that were still attached to the car.
They only supply the complete towbar.
I was more than happy with this as I could see their point.
Removed and discarded the old bits and fitted complete new towbar.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
......I have been involved with fitting a complete new towbar to a new to me car.
The used car came fitted with a towbar but the detachable tow ball and the socket it fits into had been removed and was not available to me.
I was informed this was a safety policy as they had no knowledge of the history of the components that were still attached to the car.
That makes good sense. But in the OP’s case, Whiter is supplying a recognised fitting company.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
That seems daft to me, as the parts Male and female / other genders available. Must be made to a specification. If you have lost the insertable tow ball part, why can you not purchase a new one.

TRENDING THREADS