Anyone on strike tomorrow?

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
To LMH.

My wife could be, but she retires on Friday and can't deside which will be more fun.

Just hope it does not screw up her pension.!!!!

ttfn

Norfolk Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do people still do "Strikes"? Never seem to hear of any (up until now, that is) what's the reason Lisa, or do you just want a day off?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I'm a public sector worker. The strike is in protest of the government's proposals in relation to pensions.

(A day off is nice too!).

Lol - Have you forgotten about my colleagues' strikes about three years ago (FBU the army driving green godesses?).

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the child is young enough to require parental care the parent should be there for the child. Too many parents nowadays rely on the schools as glorified baby sitters with breakfast at school and after school club. If the parent is not available to look after the child why have children in the first place. A local nursery is accepting babies from 6 weeks old and is open at 6:00am until 9:00pm. In my opinion this arrangement is absolutely rediculous. Children need their parents and not be "latch key" children

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the child is young enough to require parental care the parent should be there for the child. Too many parents nowadays rely on the schools as glorified baby sitters with breakfast at school and after school club. If the parent is not available to look after the child why have children in the first place. A local nursery is accepting babies from 6 weeks old and is open at 6:00am until 9:00pm. In my opinion this arrangement is absolutely rediculous. Children need their parents and not be "latch key" children
Your missing Lord B aren't you Colin? Don't worry, he will be back soon and you can return to your normal droll self.

Try to hold on until then, ok?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a retired lecturer from education who became involved with comprehensive school children from the first year up I came across a lot of what, in my opinion were, children who appeared to be a burden on their parents. They were sent to school early, often before the school was opened by the caretaker.

I now have the job of meeting my grand son from school as his parents are divorced and his mother unfortunately has to work to support the two grandchildren. This also annoys me even though it is my own grand son. There are more grandparents at the junior school gate to meet the children than there are parents.

As far as missing Lord B. this is purely your own imagination as life exists for me outside this forum and any member of it. Come the fine and warm weather and you wont see me for dust. The likes of Lord B., Tina, etc. have a good and pleasant nature when it comes to either being serious or sharing a joke. More than can be said for many contributers to this forum.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In a perfect life in a perfect world, I'm sure you would be correct Colin. You don't need me to tell you that isn't the case though. There could be many reasons why a parent/parents cannot meet their child from school, and I bet none of them look upon their child as a burden. You're being unfairly harsh and cynical, seems you may have taught in the past, but you like the rest of us still need to learn. If your "job" of meeting your grandson from school is too much for you, then simply quit, lifes too short to be unhappy.

Does your daughter see her child as a burden?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If there is any chance of you lot "sacking" Westminster and ridding us of the MP's and Lords so we can start a fresh. Go for it you have my support ;-)

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Colin, I wish I could pick the kids up everyday from school but like hundreds and thousands of other parents my wife and I have to work to pay our way.The kids attend an after school club for 3 hours 4 times a week.They play with their friends ,paint and have lessons on the computer. They also sit and have a light meal as a group and I think the whole experience is a good way of learning social skills.

Once home we give all of my time to our children and read stories to them both before they go to sleep.

But from your post it would appear that we are not good parents .

I only wish that I'd known this as I would never have had them.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I respect Brians view as we were a little like that years ago, but Colin is right an many a way. My boss is in education and some parents want the schools to teach kids how to eat , general and table manners and what words are acceptable and those that are not.

We find kids that cant feed themselves, have no manners and curse and swear.

And it is now the fault of the schols and teachers.

Cr 1 p guys, Brian, reading with your kids and time with them is what they need, kids learn to read "well" at home not just through schools. Good on you pal !!!!!!!!!

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Here's an old violin.....

When I was at school all my lessons were done in school.

When I was at home all the things I did at home were done at home.

Parents have been put upon for quite a few years now with teaching their children to read and write, that is the job for the teachers.

I did not work with my three children, and was critised because I was not doing enough with my son, the teacher brushed aside that I had two other children younger also needing help. I had from when we arrived home to bedtime (approx 2 & 1/2 hours) to allow them to play together, eat their tea, have their baths, night time drink,have their daily chats with me, and teach them all.

I now watch my daughter, she has to teach her daughter maths, reading, writing, project work, so paranoid is she to make sure the work is done, I see my grandaughter now starting to dislike reading. All because of the pressure that is applied by schools.

Super mum I was not, teaching is for teachers in school.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Smiley.

Children have always learnt to read at home! Schools teach the basics and how, but input and practice at home is what brings kids rading on. I was fortunate in the 50's to got to a very good school, but the input from my parents and family with reading and speling and tables tests were what made the difference.

Kids get to school who have never had a book and just sit in front of little box's and can't even dress themselves. My wife and colleagues throughout the country can tell you which kids get help and encouragement at home and those whose parents dom't bother or sit them in front of box and video games or let 5 and 6 year olds roam streets and estates!

Teachers are there to teach the 3 R's, not to dress your little kiddies hold there hands, show then how to use knife and fork and teach table and general manners. Nor are the teachers there to administer Ritilin to "hyper active" little thugs who have TV's etc in their bedrooms and throw tantrums if they are not allowed to watch it half the night, and then cause chaos in classrooms because there lack of routine and disciplin at home has them bouncing off the walls at school preventing teachers doing their jobs and other kids gettingon as well as they should.

Smiley you are talking rubbish, that sort of attitude and worse is what is wrecking kids and teaching. What the heck do you thing my parents and my wife and I and many others did with there kids. At least you put yours to bed, probably at a reasonable time. Many today don't, in the catchmebt area my wife works in it is common for 5 to 8 year olds to come to school talking about the late night "Arnie" film or the likes of "Basic Instinct" that they have watched. Kids have been in in the last two weeks that have been up watching the Commonwelth Games after mid night.

Your attitude as you describe it would have been judged as

Cr 1 p by your kids teachers and rightly so. Learning at home should be done with interest and caring and fun.

If you want your grandaughter to get on you ghave to understand that the teachers have to handle kids with parents who cared far less than you and do less to teach kids basic life skills like manners and good behaviour.

Your Granddaughters teachers also have "targets" to meet set by stupid politicians who will not turn around to the electorate and tell them that parents have a Cr 1 p attitude and are lazy selfish Bast12ds in many cases who want someone else to sort there problems.

Teachers have been turned into wet nurse social workers by parents and society and MP's, Ofsted and School Consultants have their heads in the sand instead of actually sitting in classrooms and looking at what parents are presenting to the schools door!

Most schools are crying out for helpers to listen to readers and assist in classrooms, if you can spare a little time volunteer at an average 1st school in a "working Class" area and see what the schools staff have to deal with.

A little time in most schools and you will soon understand why schools and teachers need help.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gooday folks,

This is the very first time that I have had the courage to pass a comment on this particular Forum (ChitChat)trust that the ladies will be peacefull.

Well I am not on strike today because I am a retired, whilst i was working I managed to survive on a moderate wage that took 5%

of my earnings which the firm matched to put into there pension fund, when fianaces where at a all time low I thought of coming out of the firms pension , only to be told that the pension was compusary, and that I would have to leave my Job so I carried on .So glad that I stayed because with the private and state pension combined we manage to get by.

I feel very sorry for all you folks whos future is dependent on pensions that seem to have so little input to guarantee you a reasonable retirement.

Roy

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Royston without sounding rude!

The words "get by" are a worry for us all. We have a Government who put tax on pension savings or whatever and tax everything that is going and then tell us to save more but then panic when retail sales take a dive.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Smiley.

Children have always learnt to read at home! Schools teach the basics and how, but input and practice at home is what brings kids rading on. I was fortunate in the 50's to got to a very good school, but the input from my parents and family with reading and speling and tables tests were what made the difference.

Kids get to school who have never had a book and just sit in front of little box's and can't even dress themselves. My wife and colleagues throughout the country can tell you which kids get help and encouragement at home and those whose parents dom't bother or sit them in front of box and video games or let 5 and 6 year olds roam streets and estates!

Teachers are there to teach the 3 R's, not to dress your little kiddies hold there hands, show then how to use knife and fork and teach table and general manners. Nor are the teachers there to administer Ritilin to "hyper active" little thugs who have TV's etc in their bedrooms and throw tantrums if they are not allowed to watch it half the night, and then cause chaos in classrooms because there lack of routine and disciplin at home has them bouncing off the walls at school preventing teachers doing their jobs and other kids gettingon as well as they should.

Smiley you are talking rubbish, that sort of attitude and worse is what is wrecking kids and teaching. What the heck do you thing my parents and my wife and I and many others did with there kids. At least you put yours to bed, probably at a reasonable time. Many today don't, in the catchmebt area my wife works in it is common for 5 to 8 year olds to come to school talking about the late night "Arnie" film or the likes of "Basic Instinct" that they have watched. Kids have been in in the last two weeks that have been up watching the Commonwelth Games after mid night.

Cr 1 p by your kids teachers and rightly so. Learning at home should be done with interest and caring and fun.

If you want your grandaughter to get on you ghave to understand that the teachers have to handle kids with parents who cared far less than you and do less to teach kids basic life skills like manners and good behaviour.

Your Granddaughters teachers also have "targets" to meet set by stupid politicians who will not turn around to the electorate and tell them that parents have a Cr 1 p attitude and are lazy selfish Bast12ds in many cases who want someone else to sort there problems.

Teachers have been turned into wet nurse social workers by parents and society and MP's, Ofsted and School Consultants have their heads in the sand instead of actually sitting in classrooms and looking at what parents are presenting to the schools door!

Most schools are crying out for helpers to listen to readers and assist in classrooms, if you can spare a little time volunteer at an average 1st school in a "working Class" area and see what the schools staff have to deal with.

A little time in most schools and you will soon understand why schools and teachers need help.
Morning cris

Does your wife commute to the school in which she works? If so, I bet that's very tiring at times. I guess her job is very stressful, I have a friend who is a teacher and she is seriously considering giving it up.

Lisa.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Roy

Some of us are on final salary pensions. the cost is not too bad but the returns are good. Unfortunately even our company has had to stop people from joining the that one now and any new member has a normal (for today) pension to sign up for.

As the community live longer, more strain is put on what we have to live on.

Like many others in my generation, I have an expensive house that will be sold and the money used to pay for a smaller house and some backup funds when I retire. I looked at many ways to save for the future, but a large mortgage guarantees that you keep paying where voluntary savings can always be missed now and then!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Smiley.

Only about 8 miles I guess, she is no longer just a teacher and has other roles. Often her days are 16 hours long! Often she has to go in or attend things at weekends :-(

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Smiley.

I made the assumption before your posting today that she taught at a private school. Sorry, I try not to make assumptions normally.

Lisa

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Steve.

You have the same idea as me re property. As my son who we have paid a lot for at Uni still will leave with around 20K of debt along with the same for his girlfriend and many thousand of others and with Uni fees due to rise and debts spiral upwards.

As young people start working life with debts in the long term it will effect house sales and prices!

Will you and I and others get the good returns on our property that we expect?

With plans for buyers packages and planned tax on profits from house sales etc will we and others make the money we think we will a few years down the line!

I wouldn'y be to confident myself ;-(

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I made the assumption before your posting today that she taught at a private school. Sorry, I try not to make assumptions normally.

Lisa
She comes from an ordinary family but her Grandfather paid for her to go to a private school.

The last place she would work is in a private/public type school! Her colleagues over the years never believe her if she says where she was educated ;-)

I to, went to "exclusive" schools ;-)

TRENDING THREADS