ATC or not?

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
We have atc on our single axle swift challenger and quiet fancy a twin axle challenger without. In the three years of our present van I have felt the atc kick in twice and neither down to driving style both were due to coming from road works back into finished surface and me being a little aggressive. Would you purchase with or without?

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Can ATC be switched on/off so one can assess whether one considers it useful ? Just curious. I have no experience of ATC, but equally have no experience of any nasty towing situation.

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
VicMallows said:
Can ATC be switched on/off so one can assess whether one considers it useful ? Just curious. I have no experience of ATC, but equally have no experience of any nasty towing situation.
Dont know about turning it off as maybe the insurance would not advise it.but,we have the idc version of it.our has activated at approx 40 mph in a 60 zone coming to a roundabout.the dreaded lines acrross the road activated it and completely took me by supprise.sounded like i had a blow out.but did pull the van up straight in a line.this happened for approx 2 seconds.the only thing that came to my attention was does it apply the brake lights to warn driver behind that im stopping abruptly.
Staying with it i think better ,,yes is my opinion.felt positive about it afterwards,in that it is there as a backup.
Also do they make vanswithout it?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surely the idea of ATC is to gently apply the vans brakes to correct detected yaw movements before instability becomes a hazard. Most users don't seem to be aware of when it operates though some do detect perceptible braking. But I've never heard of it bringing a van to "abrupt" braking.

In answer to you final question ... Yes

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have ATC fitted to my van, only felt it once, one wheel dropped into a pot hole normally it never activates,

I think they can be retro fitted.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ATC is an aid , not a cure all for incidents.
The most important aspect of safety is correct loading, the correct tow vehicle, correct tyre pressures and correct driving style.
Reading the road both ahead and behind is essential to keeping safe, and driving within your capability, and that of the prevailing conditions.
ATC can be retrofitted either by Al-KO or one of their approved agents.

Once fitted it is not switchable between off and on, it is ON when the car is connected.

Is it worth the extra cost? purely a decision on whether it makes you feel safer, which can actually be detrimental, bearing in mind the info above.

In most cases it may only be known to activate maybe 1% of the time it is active, and most likely at slow speed going around a roundabout ,, or has been found, travelling over roadworks.

It is another gadget which is likely to give problems at some point, most do.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
ATC is in the same category as things like car dynamic stability control, ABS and seat belts just a load of useless junk in a kind world when through your own care and that of others they never play any role. However, in a less kind situation, they have a near priceless role to play.
I think the likes of ATC should be mandatory, it offers by far the most chance of abating a snake with all thats life altering if not just pocket implications. Just like DSC, ABS and seat belts it does not relieve one of a duty of care or cope with every possible issue but offers a massive bias in your favour when needed.,
It boils down to the value you put on things of this ilk and how much a gambler you are that life will always be kind but with serious personal injury of yourself, yours and others or worse in the equation then spending a few hundred quid seems to me a good investment.

We have the affordable technology now to make towing much safer, seems odd not to want to do so.

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
When i say abrupt braking.alot may have been down to reactions too.it certainly caught me out and your natural response is to put your foot on the brake.taking me from 40mph to 25/30 in a very short space of time.
But as said when I had a think about it I would not be without it.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
ATC came as standard on our last van,our present van does not have ATC.To be honest if you load the van correctly and drive sensibiliy ATC is not required so I would do without.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
bertieboy1 said:
ATC came as standard on our last van,our present van does not have ATC.To be honest if you load the van correctly and drive sensibiliy ATC is not required so I would do without.

It's not necessarily your driving style that you should be worried about. The difficulties I have experienced when towing have been forced on me by others.

I would put ATC in the same category as seat belts; expensive until you need them.

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
I have felt ours come loads of times and its not violent braking and once when I had to take emergency swerving action it straightened the van in no time, IMO worth every penny.........I'm not an employee honest.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Fitting or not is a matter of opinion. Most of us will probably never need it if the loading is correct and we drive sensibly, but for a minority it might just avoid a serious accident. Basically you have to weigh up the risk against the cost and decide if the peace of mind it should give is worth that initial outlay.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dodger

You do make an important point, however whilst I do agree there are more than enough inconsiderate or even dangerous drivers on our roads, and Iv'e come across my fair share of them, very rarely do I find I have to take emergency action for example to avoid a collision. Yes I may have alter my speed or direction, but perhaps i've been lucky but I generally have had enough warning of the likely problem and taken considered action to avoid the need for emergency actions.

I believe driving style can make a difference, with experience there comes a better ability to read the road around and to identify possible or potential hazards. Planning journeys so you are not rushed. Even just setting out 5 min earlier can make quite a difference even on longer journeys. Being aware of how other drivers all around are behaving, taking the defensive view, leaving enough space between your self and the vehicle in front has avoided may possible collisions etc, being very clear with signals to indicate your intentions.

You cant always predict how other drivers will behave, and that will always be an issue, but you can adjust your driving style to keep as many options open to you. This doesn't mean being a ridiculously slow driver or permanently submissive, you need to make good progress as conditions and speed limits allow, and at times you may need to be assertive to remove an ambiguity of intention in the eyes of other road users. That is not the same as bullying or road rage.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Of course one can mitigate dangers but my point is that you cannot prevent them.
So when push comes to shove I want all the help I can get because being able to say "I'm innocent" is no help whatsoever; I would rather be able to swear and carry on rather the unpalatable alternative.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
Of course one can mitigate dangers but my point is that you cannot prevent them.
So when push comes to shove I want all the help I can get because being able to say "I'm innocent" is no help whatsoever; I would rather be able to swear and carry on rather the unpalatable alternative.

I'm sorry Dodger

I realise I didn't fully close my post. I totally agree that arming yourself with assistive devices like ATC is a very reasonable thing to do. If it reduces the severity of just one incident its worth it. But I I still think a lot of motoring destiny is down to the drivers ability to avoid incidents by pre-emptive thinking.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My last two caravans came with ATC. A must in my book.
Would you drive a car without ABS and rely on your ability to cadence brake? :huh: :woohoo:

This video is well worth a look
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YpOTWjPmyCw

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts