Attachment of breakaway cable

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm still confused about attaching the breakaway cable.In the Caravan Club technical advice section of the manual it advises looping around the towball and clipping back onto the cable; my friend says that is wrong and it should be clipped through the eyelet on your towbar bracket if there is one. Which way is right please. Simon

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Simon

If your vehicle has an attachment point such as an eyelet or spigot use the method shown in Fig. 1 Here

Otherwise loop the cable round the towball as shown in Fig. 3A

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Parksy's post can be misleading as....

The method used depends on a couple of factors,

First would be what type of breakaway cable you have, Al-Ko do two types, they do one that has a heavy duty hook on it, this type can be hooked directly to a pigtail or eyelet, or back on itself.

Or the use one with what I call a wire hook this is a light weight hook, this one can only be hooked back on itself and not directly mounted to pigtail or an eyelet on the towing bracket.

BPW I believe can be either as well as their breakaway cables are the same...nearly as the Al-Ko heavy duty ones

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Even if the hook is heavy duty by clipping it back onto the cable the handbrake would still operate if it was needed.

The diagram also shows the heavy duty option which clips directly to the eyelet.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I personally would go for a sererate eyelet to secure the breakaway cable too every time.

You would not want the loop of cable to slip off the tow ball neck as well as thw ball hitch.

With a seperate eyelet you are better guarantee'd that the cable will activate the brakes.

You can get clamp on versions for swan neck tow bars.

Steve L.

G

I know all the good things about these matters but.........the question does arise whether the use of a breakaway cable actually has any benefit. Possibly those entertainers Clarkson and Co could do a test showing what happens when a caravan parts company at 60 mph. The resulting mess would no doubt give them lots of laughs, but I suspect would frighten most of us.

Personally i suspect that the towhitch will hit the deck before the brakes have actually done anything significant, it will then cause the van to cartwheel and destruct on impact.

I know we all have one, and we all carefully attach it, but does it do anything??

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi

My Witter detachable towbar has an attachment point at the lower end of the housing which is too small for the breakaway cable hook to be looped through. I have fitted a shackle through the hole(s), which is left there permanently. The breakaway cable can then be looped back on itself through the shackle. It seems an effective solution.

Cheers

Paul

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
What has always puzzled me is that the safety devise used for an unbraked trailer is a backup attachment to make doubly sure the trailer remains with the tow car.

Remember these trailers can weigh 750kgs.

When brakes are fitted this is abandoned in favour of a questionable emergency brake as Scotch Lad implies.

I would have thought it was better to make sure the braked trailer/caravan stays with the tow car by having the backup attachment fitted to all trailers.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Simon

You can use both methods.

I have the separate attachment on my bar, but when i tried to use it the cable was too close to the road, close enough to inadvertently snag, should this happen my handbrake, being a one shot type could be activated to the full on position.

So i wrap the wire round the ball, this gives it just the right amount of slack.

G

Has anyone ever had the misfortune to have the towhitch break at 50-60 mph? If so, what was the outcome?

Personally i do not any advantage in having it, although I do attach it. If the van breaks loose, it will probably land on a side or top and then friction is the only stopping effect. Plus of course it is wrecked.

At slow speeds it may have benefits, but anything else........? I have doubts.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I cant ever recall a towball breaking off,some issues have been where the van hasnt been hitch up properly and come down the road.

Thats where the Winterhoff hitch wins over the Alko as you cant push the handle down unless its on the towball correctly,the Alko you can.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Due to a serious oversight on my part early on in my caravanning career I've had my caravan separate from the car at about 30mph. The breakaway cable did its job, though, and the caravan came to a halt without any major damage other than the electric cable was severed and two of the bolts with which the coupling was attached to the A-frame were bent when they hit the ground.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lutz,

Ditto. Heard this funny noise, looked in my mirror, nothing there, so thats alright. Hang on, there is supposed to be a caravan there.

I reckon we were back on the road in less than a minute.

I have conflicing memories about this.

An unbraked trailer is supposed to stay with the tow car without touching trhe road. Thats called a secondary attachment. I use a chain with a big crane hook.

A four wheel braked trailer is supposed to apply the brakes then snap. Thats called a breakaway cable.

But a two wheel braked trailer? Should it snap or hang on? Probably a bit of both. It might be best if you had a skid under the coupling, or maybe a jockey wheel that can turn, but is locked in straight ahead position ..... assuming your caravan brakes work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts