B+E automatic?

Jul 18, 2017
It appears the trailer test is to be scrapped,everyone will get full entitlement from late September. This is now on dvsa website.

Nov 6, 2005
It appears the trailer test is to be scrapped,everyone will get full entitlement from late September. This is now on dvsa website.
No more tests after 20th September but the automatic BE won't come in until late Autumn with the current restriction remaining in place until then.

Mar 27, 2011
If it’s correct that B+E test being scrapped so soon then anyone thinking of changing vans would be advised to wait and look at all weights that the car can tow.

BP

Jan 19, 2002
Makes you wonder if this will be applied retrospectively seems a bit mean otherwise for those who have passed their test since the automatic B+E was dropped.

Nov 11, 2009
Makes you wonder if this will be applied retrospectively seems a bit mean otherwise for those who have passed their test since the automatic B+E was dropped.
Doesn’t it mean that in UK those who haven’t passed BE test will be able to tow 3500 kg+ and when their licence is renewed they have BE added, or if going abroad could they not apply for a new licence with BE on it. New licence holders will receive BE from the start.

Jul 18, 2017
Doesn’t it mean that in UK those who haven’t passed BE test will be able to tow 3500 kg+ and when their licence is renewed they have BE added, or if going abroad could they not apply for a new licence with BE on it. New licence holders will receive BE from the start.
I thought B+E was related to the combination weight and not the amount of weight that you can tow behind a vehicle if the vehicle is capable to towing such an amount? I am referring to M class vehicles.

Nov 11, 2009
I thought B+E was related to the combination weight and not the amount of weight that you can tow behind a vehicle if the vehicle is capable to towing such an amount? I am referring to M class vehicles.
I should have been more accurate relating to combined plated weight of the towcar plus caravan being limited to 3500 kg if the driver does not have B-E

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Testing rules for HGVs and towing caravans relaxed under plans to ease driver shortage
Motorists no longer required to take another test to tow trailers under government plans to free up capacity to train new lorry drivers
ByHarry Yorke, WHITEHALL EDITOR10 September 2021 • 10:30pm

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Back on my I pad now.
So yes, today’s press is full on an HMG change to HGV LGV and trailer ( including caravans) licence allowances. All to do with relieving pressure on the DVLA examination staff.

Nov 11, 2009
Even talk again of registration for caravans and mandatory “ mot”. That was rife about five or so years back and not progressed. The cost-benefits were not at all clear.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
I've added this thread to the B+E Automatic thread because there are at least three threads currently running about the same topic.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Feb 23, 2018
I wonder if I am eligible for a refund on my Test Fees?

Kind of annoying, that something I paid to train for and took an additional formal driving test for, is now automatically available [free] to everyone, even if they are not competent.

Nov 11, 2009

Kind of annoying, that something I paid to train for and took an additional formal driving test for, is now automatically available [free] to everyone, even if they are not competent.
I could ask the same question as to why after paying for the required amount of stamps my State Pension is lower than someone retiring now who hasn’t worked and paid for as long as I did?

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 6, 2005

No - the government has already stated that no test fees will be refunded.

Jul 8, 2020
So basically my Wife who passed her test in 99 will still need to have a test to tow above 3500 mam, or am i reading this wrong?

Nov 6, 2005
So basically my Wife who passed her test in 99 will still need to have a test to tow above 3500 mam, or am i reading this wrong?
You're reading it wrong - from later this autumn, your wife will be able to drive a vehicle up to 3500 kg towing a trailer up to 3500 kg - when she renews her licence, it'll be updated to show BE

May 7, 2012
Hold on, there are suggestions that due to public opposition the change may not take place. Possibly we need figures to see if the change in regulations made any difference. I doubt it but could be proved wrong.

Jul 18, 2017
Hold on, there are suggestions that due to public opposition the change may not take place. Possibly we need figures to see if the change in regulations made any difference. I doubt it but could be proved wrong.
What public opposition and why would any one oppose it if it is advantageous to them? :)

Feb 23, 2018
What public opposition and why would any one oppose it if it is advantageous to them? :)
I guess the only opposition is from people who have trained and paid for a test which is now moot. Also B+E training providers are now surplus to requirements.

On the bright side, my wife can now tow our caravan should she want/need to.

Mar 14, 2005
Whilst the latest revelations on the Gov't web site are a strong indication of intent, until it actually happens and it is enshrined in law, do not assume it's a slam dunk.

The Gov't web site has been wrong before on towing regulations due to the fact the web site is written by mandarins who have interpreted the regulations incorrectly, for example failing to understand the difference between a measured weight and a weight limit, which would have rendered some drivers believing themselves to be within the law but were actually driving without the correct licence entitlements.

Nov 11, 2009
There will be those who do not think it is a good move, just as there’s opposition to the changes in HGV driver hours or testing regime. Once you’ve embedded a safety based regulation it’s hard to roll it back as the critics will want evidence that safety will not be prejudiced. Of course that evidence cannot be presented until the roll back period is sufficiently long to provide a comparison. That’s why there are renewed calls for caravans to be registered and subjected to safety tests in order to try and offset any reduction in overall safety.

Jul 18, 2017
There will be those who do not think it is a good move, just as there’s opposition to the changes in HGV driver hours or testing regime. Once you’ve embedded a safety based regulation it’s hard to roll it back as the critics will want evidence that safety will not be prejudiced. Of course that evidence cannot be presented until the roll back period is sufficiently long to provide a comparison. That’s why there are renewed calls for caravans to be registered and subjected to safety tests in order to try and offset any reduction in overall safety.
It must be remembered it was only introduced to please our EU overlords. Was there really any necessity for it in the UK prior to it being made law and has it made any difference. Unfortunately I doubt if any of us mere mortals will ever know. Seen or read about more caravan accidents where they are single axle and probably under the 3500kg limit.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts