BATTERY PROBLEM

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone else had problems with a 110 amp battery losing its charge over a period of about a month? Went to the 'van yesterday and found it completely dead. On charging it up again it seems OK but what would cause a leisure battery to lose all its charge within such a short time. Nothing was left on in the van over this period. The battery was purchased new on the 1st June this year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ann, It is propably not going completely flat. My power unit in the van disconnects the battery when it gets below 10.8V ( they call this Drop Dead Voltage {DDV}). This is done to prevent damaging the battery and is normal in battery charger systems I use at work in the telecoms field.

The battery could easily discharge from 12V to 10v in a month, the status antenna power pack if left on and of course the components in the power unit have some effect.

You could disconnect the batteries at the terminals and see if it holds up in the interval.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Klarky. When we bought the battery it appeared to be fully charged (green cap showing). When we got it home we fully charged it again for 2 days before taking it back to be fitted on the caravan by the dealer. Maybe you are right - we have bought a duff! It was the only 110 leisure battery on the floor at the time, down beside the counter (where they stored other smaller batteries) and it didn't have a 'bleed' cable with it. We had to ask for one specially.

I will take a look at the page you refer to.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Golf cart batteries are not as effective as a lesisure battery when used in a caravan. Cart batteries are desinged to provide high current drain over the discharge periode were as a Lesisure battery maintains a higher voltage over its discharge periode, which is required to run the type of equipment used in caravans TVs ect.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Ann,

Have you got an alarm system on your caravan?Most alarms trickle charge the alarm battery from the leisure battery. Over time dischargeing the leisure battery.

Just a thought.

Hamer

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Ann got side tracked re cart batteries. I would first check that every thing is turned off for instance the battery voltage indicator (voltmeter, green/red light)

Have you left your caravan before this new battery and not had the problem ?.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Golf cart batteries are not as effective as a lesisure battery when used in a caravan. Cart batteries are desinged to provide high current drain over the discharge periode were as a Lesisure battery maintains a higher voltage over its discharge periode, which is required to run the type of equipment used in caravans TVs ect.
You mean a battery designed to run a golf cart won't run a microwave etc longer ?

Try reading trailer life magazine and you will see a population with an aggregate of perhaps 10,000 years caravanning experience are very happy with golf cart batteries.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts