Best caravan to live in for 6 months

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
A simple question comes back with a lot of indepth relies. Most people are sensible about the amount of load they place on the circuit. If you are running the heating in the caravan why would you want to run a 2kw fan heater?
Someone posted on the forum that he was doing exactly that not too long ago on his friends drive. His friend told him the plug / socket was getting very hot.
It must also be remembered that the hot water heating etc will operate using a thermostat so it will not be a constant load.
This is very true once everything is up to temperature. I'm not sure whether it's common practice but I turn everything off when I leave the caravan. When I return and turn everything on it could be 30 minutes or more before the water and room temperature reach their setpoint. I'm on full load for that period of time (though I believe my control unit somehow limits the load - the manual isn't very clear how it does this but I can switch the water to 'boost' at the detriment of the space heating or viceversa ).

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Perhaps the lesson here is to ensure the plugs and connectors used are a reputable brand from a reputable supplier to counter non compliance with BS by counterfeits.
I would add to that 'wired correctly and fitted with a suitably sized fuse' . It's not as much of a problem since the law changed (plugs and sockets regs) but prior to that electrical appliances were mostly sold without fitted plugs. People would buy the plug separately, fit it with the 13 amp fuse it came with, accidentally loose a few strands of the flex while stripping it, then clamp half the remaining strands into the terminals.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would add to that 'wired correctly and fitted with a suitably sized fuse' . It's not as much of a problem since the law changed (plugs and sockets regs) but prior to that electrical appliances were mostly sold without fitted plugs. People would buy the plug separately, fit it with the 13 amp fuse it came with, accidentally loose a few strands of the flex while stripping it, then clamp half the remaining strands into the terminals.
In reality its been a few decades since that aspect of the law changed, so new these days should be OK provided it comes from reputable supplier.

But on a rapid increase is the number of online shops or websites selling nonconforming electrical products. I note with fear that several chinese shopping sites are offering some very dodgy electrical items (probably falsely claiming to be CE and CAUK compliant) products with 13A pin configurations without the correct insulation on L & N connectors and plug tops that do not have a Fuse, and are under size in terms of gripping. wire cords with copper coated aluminium conductors, undersized for stated loads.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
In reality its been a few decades since that aspect of the law changed, so new these days should be OK provided it comes from reputable supplier.

But on a rapid increase is the number of online shops or websites selling nonconforming electrical products. I note with fear that several chinese shopping sites are offering some very dodgy electrical items (probably falsely claiming to be CE and CAUK compliant) products with 13A pin configurations without the correct insulation on L & N connectors and plug tops that do not have a Fuse, and are under size in terms of gripping. wire cords with copper coated aluminium conductors, undersized for stated loads.
Indeed, and I'm sure that it's pure coincidence that the Conformité Européenne and China Export logos are so similar.

I'm not familiar with CAUK and Google doesn't throw up anything relevant. Could you elaborate?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Indeed, and I'm sure that it's pure coincidence that the Conformité Européenne and China Export logos are so similar.

I'm not familiar with CAUK and Google doesn't throw up anything relevant. Could you elaborate?
I think the spacing between the two letters CE is the difference?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Sorry should be UK/CA
1709215279694.png

The UK Gov't had to implement a similar scheme which resulted in the UK/CA mark, which very broadly matches the CE scheme.

Reactions: Beardy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry should be UK/CA
View attachment 6210

The UK Gov't had to implement a similar scheme which resulted in the UK/CA mark, which very broadly matches the CE scheme.

In most areas CA matches CE and the BS follow through. Because as of 2016 we planned to develop our own rules. The CE was due to be stopped and all UK products to be to CA but such was the outcry from companies that export not only to the EU but worldwide that they would have to bear duplicate testing and documentation when the actual specification of the items was identical. Plus many non EU countries were not prepared to accept CA given the immaturity of the scheme. Fortunately that one was dropped before legislation sent it to the bonfire of EU regs that were embodied in our laws.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beardy
Feb 25, 2024
Visit site
The caravan adventure is currently on hold. On going to view some caravans at my local caravan sales place the owner decided to zoom out of the entrance and straight into my car in his huge Land Rover.
My car is now a write off 😟. The best bit being my insurance company is offering £1,500 less than it costs to buy an equivalent car of the same age and mileage.
😫 Looks like caravan funds are now buying a new car. Just sometimes, life really sticks it to you. 😔
The caravan place said they'd see me right as I'd gone in to look at caravans when my car was demolished...but not holding my breath. Jeez Louise!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The caravan adventure is currently on hold. On going to view some caravans at my local caravan sales place the owner decided to zoom out of the entrance and straight into my car in his huge Land Rover.
My car is now a write off 😟. The best bit being my insurance company is offering £1,500 less than it costs to buy an equivalent car of the same age and mileage.
😫 Looks like caravan funds are now buying a new car. Just sometimes, life really sticks it to you. 😔
The caravan place said they'd see me right as I'd gone in to look at caravans when my car was demolished...but not holding my breath. Jeez Louise!!
Sorry to hear of that incident. Challenge your insurer on the valuation. I had to do that and with sufficient evidence from Autotrader they raised their offer. The dealership will have insurance and they can’t decline responsibility. Lastly the small claims on line court is a straightforward option if you find yourself out of pocket.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sorry to hear of that incident. Challenge your insurer on the valuation. I had to do that and with sufficient evidence from Autotrader they raised their offer. The dealership will have insurance and they can’t decline responsibility. Lastly the small claims on line court is a straightforward option if you find yourself out of pocket.
Good luck.
Surely the dealership itself would not be involved as it would be an issue between the two car insurance companies? However I agree that they should challenge their insurance company regarding valuation based on Autotrader.

Hopefully the owner will give them a big discount on a caravan. Makes you wonder about his speed to write off a customer's car?

Reactions: Wheel_in_The_Sky
Feb 25, 2024
Visit site
Thanks Otherclive,

I've declined their offer and I'll send some similar car comparisons today now the weekends over. They've accepted full responsibility - there's zero chance they'd have been able to say it wasn't their fault. In fact if the police had attended I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd prosecuted him for some kind of lack of care and attention or dangerous driving.

I'm a pretty mild mannered person normally and I really dislike confrontation but I'm getting more and more angry about what's happened as the days go on. It's caused absolute chaos in my life, I've got hospital appointments for myself and my mum to attend over the next few weeks, a funeral on Wednesday, solicitors this week, I look after my mum and am having to walk 4-6 times a day back and forth to her house to help her - while I'm sore as billio myself. A bit of a nightmare in short. I'm pretty sure that he has sent his posh car into the menders and is now flying around in an equally huge courtesy car with zero interruption to his life. 🤷 And yet, I did absolutely nothing wrong but be in the wrong place at the wrong time and had my life turned upside down.

Apologies for the rant, but sometimes it feels good to get it off your (sore) chest.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Otherclive,

I've declined their offer and I'll send some similar car comparisons today now the weekends over. They've accepted full responsibility - there's zero chance they'd have been able to say it wasn't their fault. In fact if the police had attended I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd prosecuted him for some kind of lack of care and attention or dangerous driving.
If the incident occured on private land (i.e. The caravan dealers premises) the rules of the road do not apply and the police would have no basis on which to raise a driving offence.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the incident occured on private land (i.e. The caravan dealers premises) the rules of the road do not apply and the police would have no basis on which to raise a driving offence.
However if the public have access to the land like a supermarket car park or even a caravan site, then perhaps the police could be involved?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
However if the public have access to the land like a supermarket car park or even a caravan site, then perhaps the police could be involved?
Unlikely unless someone was injured. or criminal negligence is involved, otherwise they tend to refer parties to their insurance companies to sort it out.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When a pirouetting car came round a bend and smacked into the front of my wife’s Saab 9000 both cars were written off. The police attended but only to have a look and direct traffic until the two cars were removed. They were nit the least but interested in taking statements as neither my wife or the other driver were materially injured. They did not check tyres or even request a breath test. The only time they showed much activity was when a car approaching the accident scene flattened the police accident sign 😂

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When a pirouetting car came round a bend and smacked into the front of my wife’s Saab 9000 both cars were written off. The police attended but only to have a look and direct traffic until the two cars were removed. They were nit the least but interested in taking statements as neither my wife or the other driver were materially injured. They did not check tyres or even request a breath test. The only time they showed much activity was when a car approaching the accident scene flattened the police accident sign 😂
That may have happened a long time ago as I think it is now common practice for them to do a breath test when there is an accident. Not sure if the test includes drugs? Maybe Mr Plod can confirm?

Feb 25, 2024
Visit site
No it wasn't on the caravan land, he'd swung out at full pelt into the roadway.
I was ok with the fact that he completely accepted fault so hadn't even considered involving the police.
Have now been able to organise a hire car at the other insurers expense so at least am mobile again but my insurance company is adamant they won't budge from the miserly valuation so they now want to examine my car to revalue and it wouldn't surprise me if they offered even less. 🙄 It's a weird world where the innocent party is made to feel like a bad egg. 😔

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was ok with the fact that he completely accepted fault so hadn't even considered involving the police.
Have now been able to organise a hire car at the other insurers expense so at least am mobile again but my insurance company is adamant they won't budge from the miserly valuation so they now want to examine my car to revalue and it wouldn't surprise me if they offered even less. 🙄 It's a weird world where the innocent party is made to feel like a bad egg. 😔
Surely your insurance company would claim off the other person's insurance and not suffer the loss themselves?

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I believe that you have the right to insist that they replace your car with one of the same make, model, year and milage if you are unhappy with their valuation. Maybe someone could confirm this.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Does your insurance cover provide uninsured loss, or perhaps a motoring club provides it to you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
the Metropolitan Police web site states:-

"You must report the collision no matter who was at fault.

If you don't stop at the scene or report an incident you could be committing an offence and be charged.

The penalties include:
  • a fine
  • up to six months in prison
  • penalty points on your licence
The court can also disqualify you from driving."

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
I believe that you have the right to insist that they replace your car with one of the same make, model, year and milage if you are unhappy with their valuation. Maybe someone could confirm this.
When our TT was written off I asked the ins co to replace it as I couldn't get one the of same spec for the money they offered. They tried and failed then spent £6.5k repairing our one £2.5k more than they had first offered and £2k more than we paid for it in the first place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts