Best Toilet Chemicals?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
After years of experimenting I conclude the most efficient chemical for dissolving the solids and paper in the waste tank is Elsan Double Blue :cheer:
The Elsan Double Pink dispels all the black algae in the flush tank.
I have tried the Thetford own products including Green and found their performance pretty dire.
I've tried various "green" type chemicals where demanded by the site and again experienced very poor performance.
So for me Elsan Doubles win and as a duo pack are very reasonably priced. :) B)
BTW as seasoned Woosies use of the onboard facility is mandatory for all functions :sick:

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Agree with DD, a pretty good product.

I am still experimenting with other products but have not anywhere reached the degree of evaluation and expert advice of DD.

Not sure if I want to produce an academic paper on the subject, as my life of 'must do's' make a rather long list :p

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
After years of experimenting I conclude the most efficient chemical for dissolving the solids and paper in the waste tank is Elsan Double Blue :cheer:
The Elsan Double Pink dispels all the black algae in the flush tank.
I have tried the Thetford own products including Green and found their performance pretty dire.
I've tried various "green" type chemicals where demanded by the site and again experienced very poor performance.
So for me Elsan Doubles win and as a duo pack are very reasonably priced. :) B)
BTW as seasoned Woosies use of the onboard facility is mandatory for all functions :sick:

NO NO NO NO NO ............... you got it wrong, The Woosie was started due to the refusal to use the onboard loo for ALL functions. But I do agree about the Elsan Blue for dissolving the paper!!!

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Kev quote - "NO NO NO NO NO ............... you got it wrong, The Woosie was started due to the refusal to use the onboard loo for ALL functions. But I do agree about the Elsan Blue for dissolving the paper!!! "

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, -- ( I did say I cheated when I joined the 'Woosies')

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have tended to buy the toilet fluid from any site we were on when the old one ran out, but more recently have used the one from Aldi. I have never tried to compare them but have never noticed any difference in any of them.
We do not use the flush additive as I can see no point, and the free bottle we got with the last caravan just ended up giving us black bits in the flush. The one with the current caravan had a lid that would not undo so has never been used.
As far as I can see our toilet is as clean as anyone else's.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I always thought the blue toilet fluid preserved solids rather than dissolved them.Also that toilet paper dissolved through what it contained within itself rather than through any external/other chemical.
After all toilet paper will dissolve in plain water.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've tried all kinds of toilet fluid but have found Elsan to be the best and I always use it now.
I have a small container of the tree hugger stuff for sites that insist on it but on those sites there's a strict embargo on number 2s for our caravan bog.

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Nipped in Aldi this morning got 1 of each in readiness for new van in a couple of weeks very good value.Now off to white arches now to see what accessories i can buy now :)

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I'm surprised that the increasingly popular trend of using Bio washingmachine Pods instead of 'blue' fluid does not appear to have reached this forum :eek:hmy: . Certainly my experience - and many others agree - is that they perform vastly better than the traditional (formaldehyde) fluid. They also work out much cheaper - especially LIDL/ALDI own brands; are lighter to carry; and more convenient to use.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think it all depend on how long you leave "The waste" in the tank. I have not tried the washing bio tabs, , but tried the chemical tàbs didnt work for us, Double Blue for us.
But a a Knight at the Woosie Round Table. Alway use Marrigold gloves an a nose peg when empying the Honey bucket. :sick:

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
VicMallows said:
I'm surprised that the increasingly popular trend of using Bio washingmachine Pods instead of 'blue' fluid does not appear to have reached this forum :eek:hmy: . Certainly my experience - and many others agree - is that they perform vastly better than the traditional (formaldehyde) fluid. They also work out much cheaper - especially LIDL/ALDI own brands; are lighter to carry; and more convenient to use.

Did a quick search on the Aldi site, no bio tabs, non bio yes.

Do you have a link for bio tabs for either Aldi or Lidl bio tabs?, I would like to give them a try.

Thanks, Anseo

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Anseo said:
VicMallows said:

Did a quick search on the Aldi site, no bio tabs, non bio yes.

Do you have a link for bio tabs for either Aldi or Lidl bio tabs?, I would like to give them a try.

Thanks, Anseo

See if this link works:
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Products.htm?articleId=849&ar=13

Otherwise google 'lidl formil bio pods' and up should pop the relevant ones. They are in a green coloured plastic box. 20 pods per box

Formil Biological Liquid Tablets 1
490ml

£ 2.69*
each 13.5p/tablet
490ml
13.5p/tablet
From our everyday range

We find them to work well. Pop 2 in the cassette and robert is your mothers brother. Sure I'd posted details previously.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Crikey 27 pence per day, that's 10% of our daily food allowance!! Just arrived back from Brecon Club site and must say Guns and Roses playing Paradise City really makes a visit to the block worthwhile.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
Crikey 27 pence per day, that's 10% of our daily for allowance!! Just arrived back fro Brecon Club site and must say Guns and Roses playing Paradise City really makes a visit to the block worthwhile.

Our cassette is emptied once per weekend trip, or 3-4 days if staying longer. So around 9p per day.

Never looked at the cost of the Thetford Blue as I think we got a job lot with a loo at a show eons ago.

Think it got a bigger shot each time than the 49ml in the Lidl pods.

Thetford Blue is about £13 per litre from the last time we looked before going the Lidl way, so c2x the cost of the Formil pods.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I think people should declare "how" they are using 'the loo? -- With all these 'non blue' chemicals being used,-- I know there are a lot of 'Woosies' about!

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
I think people should declare "how" they are using 'the loo? -- With all these 'non blue' chemicals being used,-- I know there are a lot of 'Woosies' about!

The 2 girls use the facility to the full extent, Dad dumps in a proper bog and only goes wee wee in the caravan :p :p Hope that's not too much info, but you did ask us to bare our soles!! :p

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Only two adults, use the Honey bucket most of the time. As we do,the shower in the van, thats why we bought it. Buy a caravan with a shower, use it always do. But always Double blue. . :sick:

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I am happy for the loo to be used as the one at home would be, but I very much tend to using onsite facilities if available, if not available then I use outdoors (where appropriate) for a pee.

I don't want or expect my wife to follow my regime.

I limit my daytime loo use as the cassette fills up relatively quickly because of my night time peeeing (too much beer and associated flushing) and my wife's prolific (overuse) use of the flush button.

There, our personal habbits bared to all, glad that is all I hear you say :woohoo: .

Guess we all have our own ways and reasons for doing so.

Bogology, should be a university degree course :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts