BMW 320d touring

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is it true twin axle caravans are more stable when towing? I am new to caravanning and am considering a Lunar Quasar 615 which has an MTPLM of 1450 kg and is twin axle.

The kerb weight of the car is 1580kg inc driver and has a towing weight of 1600kg. Is it better to tow this rather than say a single axle with an MTPLM of say 1350kg. I like the idea of the twin axle with its extra length, but am hoping some of you experienced people can perhaps advise. Anyone towed with a BMW 320d Touring before or perhaps owned a Lunar Quasar 615

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there Jez,

I tow a Bailey Pageant Imperial with the same car as yours with no problem at all. Fuel consumption towing is 34mpg, stable with plenty of power / torque. I would suggest you try and stick as close to the 85% ratio as possible rather then go for the heavier van just because the car will pull it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jez, I'd advise that if you're new to 'vanning it would be better to stick to the 85% rule, which in your car's case would limit you to about a 1343kg MTPLM 'van. You can legally tow up to 100% of the tow car's kerbweight, but this is inadivseable, even with a twin axle which can still snake under extreme conditions. Remember you don't want the tail to wag the dog! The only other options are to get a heavier tug - 5 series? or keep the van loaded to an absolute minimum, but would this be realistic, especially if you have kids. Any responsible Dealer will do a proper match of your car & proposed 'van, the less scrupulous will tell you it's ok even if it's on the border line to clinch the sale! There are some excellent family 'vans out there within your tug's weight limits - have a good look around the dealers before making a final choice. Have fun!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jez, Dave and Mike's advice is sound, but a note for Mike, the 85% figure is only a guideline not a rule, and the maximum that you can legally tow is not 100% of the kerbweight, it is maximum figure the car manufacturer states in thier type approval documents. Some vehicles can tow less than thier kerb weight and some more, it is essential that you check the individual cars details.In Jez 's case I think that the gross train weight may be an issue with a car full of people and a large caravan, so check your figures carefully. As I said above the general advice of adhering to the 85% guideline does make good sence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts