Through Belgium
Luxembourg
Switzerland Jungfrau Region
Austria
Czech
Back into Germany (Celle region)
Holland near Amsterdam (visit family)
Home via Harwich ferry

So my question is, can anyone give feedback from your own experiences regarding costs. Either rough daily/weekly/monthly or whatever costs or for that matter any costs - site costs etc.

Perhaps someone may say, well we went here for 5 weeks and roughly cost £xxxxx etc
Any feedback will be helpful

How much should I expect to budget for?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Quite a difficult one as your fuel consumption will be different to others, what quality sites would you use, plan to use toll motorways or normal roads. When we do our budgets we tend to plan the route by looking at where we plan to stop and then looking at campsite nearby and look at their rates. There’s a number of websites that give fuel prices. Depending when you go ACSIS can get you cheaper site fees especially out of peak times. You will need vignettes fir Switzerland Czech and I think Austria. Best ferry fares are often advertised through the Clubs when there’s a big nec show on Autumn or Feb normally. Mine this year was £215 Dover Calais in mid June to mid July. But I had to cancel unfortunately. But hopefully I can just dust off the plans for next year.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As, OC has mentioned it's all depending on the type of sites you intend to use and where, if we are travelling from place A to B with an overnight stop we try to use municiples or ACSI sites.
Austria, you can get a day or weekly vignette for the motorway , Switzerland its a yearly at about €40 one needed for both car and Caravan.
We tend to eat out at lunch times in the small bars where locals eat, ie Plat de jour , €12 to €18, per meal, maybe 3 to 4 times a week, but not in Switzerland, too expensive. But the Bakieries, are cheaper to eat in.
We budget for €500 a week. But normally go well over that. Last bigish tour 6 weeks round France 2500 miles about £3500 .
Good luck have fun.
Hutch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Really difficult to put a figure on it as each of us has a different way of going about things. I would agree with Hutch that €500 per week is a good benchmark budget depending whether you are in-season or out-of-season.

We left at the beginning of July last year and came back at the end of October. Our biggest expenditure was diesel as we covered just over 10,500 miles. We went from Calais to Sweden and Finland. Then we crossed over to Estonia and worked our way down to Italy ending up at the southern tip of Sicily. We used a combination of local knowledge, Caravan Club European Campsite book and ACSI for campsites and really made it up as we went along. We paid between €11 and €23 per night normally but a little more a premium sites in August (and in Florence at the end of October as we had not cottoned on to our couple of nights transit coinciding with an Italian bank holiday!).

Again, like Hutch, when sightseeing we tended to eat a reasonable lunch and snack in the evening. However, in Scandinavia we 'ate in' every night as restaurants were very expensive for both lunch and dinner. We bought a Dometic Coolfreezer CFX 35 at the Caravan Show which, although an expensive item, proved to be invaluable. We set off from home with a freezer full of pre-cooked meals and, when they were gone, we bought meat from the local supermarkets. This meant that we could take advantage of supermarket offers and always had food available - I am sure it cut down the number of times that we would normally eat out in the evening. Also we enjoy 'eating in' as long as the weather is OK. We have a Omnistor 6200 which means that we can sit outside with a glass of wine and good food and not worry who's turn it is to drive back!

I couldn't tell you exactly how much we spent but it was certainly not more than €2200 per month and, of course, we saved on our water and fuel bill at home!

I hope you have a great trip.

Bob

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
We used to go touring in Europe every year for 6 weeks. We went early though and used ACSI. Pitches are cheaper than here. The last time we went it cost around £3.5k all in (3Years ago). This included the ferry, ins, b'down. Usually long ferry to save the driving. We are almost 200 miles from Dover. We used to take things that we prob couldn't get over there - marmite, bacon, marmalade, etc. Used to BBQ a lot and use the ramoska and electric grill (many sites don't allow BBQ's). We figure that you have to buy food whether you go or not and it tends to be cheaper over there, likewise wine and beer. We ate out mainly at lunchtimes, plat de jour is always a good deal and salads are much better than here. Fuel is cheaper as well.
People are different tho. We met a couple (in their late 70's) who had been driviing down to SW France every year for 20 years to go to the same site. They stayed about 6 or 7 weeks. They took a huge freezer with them and had never been into a French shop for food. They took dried or long life milk, crisp breads etc. I couldn't believe it and they never went off site although the beach and town were less than a mile away. Like I say it takes all sorts.....

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
We've just got back from 3 months, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and France.
Actual spending over the period is difficult to work out, short of logging every penny, and I ain't doing that.
But, before I left I checked my current a/c balance. When I got back I checked again, and it had only gone down by £400!
Yes, I know that will be a false figure, but the way my pensions are paid I have 6 paydays per month, so they keep the account topped up.
I'd say the £500 per week is about right though.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Grey, so a few of us seem to say £500 or €500. But that was probably last year, it all depends on how many meals out , etc, and drinks . We spend a three weeks in Vermenton , Chablis area, great site, 1 bar i am in the boules team, costs us €16 , No cost for the dogs as I don't let them pee on the flowers. And the local Mayor has them on his website . Next site € 25/28. So many differences.
Have fun though.
Hutch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm a little surprised at some of the figures quoted.
My calcualtions go something like this. based on 100 nights Ferry and travel insurance c.£1000,
Diesel for 3000 miles another 1000, site fees about £1700 giving a total of £37/night i.e. c.£260 a week.
I have not included food as it's a bit difficult to calculate the difference between what you pay in Europe and what you would have paid at home anyway. If going in winter months the type of food could vary quite a lot from what would be eaten at home. Booze is considerably cheaper particularly in Spain so this has to be factored in, together with the saving made on what you can still bring home against UK prices. For some of us this is not inconsiderable !
A further saving maybe on heating and electricity particularly off season. This can be pretty significant if, like us, you are retired and would be in the house most of the time if at home, thus needing heating on.
My campsite figure is based on long stay rather than touring where most european sites offer significant longer stay discounts.
Items such as internet are can be offset depending on what sort of contract you have.

The big base charge is the ferny which is the same for 100 days or 10, and the travel insurance is also more favourable the longer the stay.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ray, meat in Europe is a lot more expensive, in my opinion, we do buy the bBQ packs of meat from the supermarkets, in Switzerland, due to the cost of meat and fish, we are almost vegetarian, and seldom eat out the pitch fees are really high. I would rather stay in France or Germany and just visit. We never use sites that are big, in France Normally just €20 or below. And we still get through €500 a week.. dont really bring much wine home as its just as cheap in Lidls UK.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray,

I agree with Hutch. Don't forget that we covered a lot of miles, so diesel was our main expenditure. Also we set off in the middle of the high season and had about 6 weeks paying top prices for campsites. However, my €2200 per month also included 3 extra ferry crossings (other than across the channel). As I said, in my original post, it is difficult to put a cost on things as we go about it in different ways. I budget for €500 per week when we are touring as opposed to being on a static site. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised and other times we have to reign it in a bit but, in the end, it evens out to around €500 per week. The cost may be different (and cheaper) if we stayed still for a length of time.

Bob

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Not jealous or nowt but I was quite happy with three weeks last year never mind three months ( not retired yet though ) still just a youngun' :p

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Understood, Bob and Hutch
just wanted indicate that some sorts of visit may not be to the figures given in order not to put particularly retired fold off the idea. I did do a Quick Reply to Hutch on the particular topic of wine prices but somehow it has not appeared. It was that wine prices in Lidl Spain (and probably France) are mch cheaper than in UK, quoting the example of my OH's favourtie tipple - Lidl cava being around £1.50 a bottle in Spain earlier this year and currently £4.99/bottle in UK here now. So perhaps worth bringing a few home ?

But I have to agree with you that it is good to estimate and to be generous in the estimate such that when you get home there is no regret when the credit card statements come in. This could take the edge off a really good trip which I hope you and everyone will have/ has had and many more of them!

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I keep a careful record of all our spending , and know exactly what our trips cost. Its not onerous to do , combine the credit card bills, cash withdrawals , ferry and insurance for a grand total but this does not take account of what we would have spent at home so the true cost of the trip is actually less. How much that total is broken down depends on how much time one wants to devote to it, I settle for : sites, ferry,insurance tolls and fuel without trying to break down what every euro spent elsewhere .

Our costs vary little from year to year and regularly work out at around £4000 for 11 weeks (and £3000 for 6. We use long crossings, dont seek out the cheapest sites but are happy to use them when it suits , eat and drink what we like but restrict our eating out to perhaps once a week if that and use toll roads in moderation.

3 month trips are not holidays to us but living elsewhere and if we were to dive in a bar every time we felt like a drink or ate out every day it would cost a great deal more
When I have seen what others spend the biggest single difference seems to be how much eating out is done and I think it would be quite easy to add £20 or £30 a day to our cost but folk spend their money how they want.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Since my original posting a nasty development requires significant increase in my estimates. Red Pennant insurance for over 80;s has increased dramatically adding about £5.70/day to my 42 day trips and about £4/ day to my 120 day trip. Ouch !

I could just take the motoring component which is quite modest and seek alternative health insurance but searching has shown this idea is a non-starter. No quote was less than RP by quite a margin and cover for 120 days quite difficult to find. So it's grin and bear it or stop going.
Why is travel insurance the only category of insurance I know which does not have a no claims discount ?

Reactions: Galgo slave
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Currently in Francer towards end of 7 week stay. Very clear my earlier estimate was 'optimistic' to say the least. Campsite prices seem to have escalated with the honourable exception of some Municipals if you can find one open at this time of year. Herisson near Montlucon gets a GOLD Star for being open until November and charges only 9 euros/night including EHU.
Diesel is up to 1.70 on autoroute and 1.50 ish at supermarkets. Our favourtite plonks have added a couple of euros which is a pretty beg percentage.

Reactions: Galgo slave
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
RayS said:
Currently in Francer towards end of 7 week stay. Very clear my earlier estimate was 'optimistic' to say the least. Campsite prices seem to have escalated with the honourable exception of some Municipals if you can find one open at this time of year. Herisson near Montlucon gets a GOLD Star for being open until November and charges only 9 euros/night including EHU.
Diesel is up to 1.70 on autoroute and 1.50 ish at supermarkets. Our favourtite plonks have added a couple of euros which is a pretty beg percentage.

Every year France seems to get more expensive. Has the price of the toll roads also increased as the same journey last year seem to cost us €20 less? Price of fuel is really high now. Also found quite a few of the essential items in supermarkets had increased.
Taking into account the extra cost of travelling to Spain earlier this year for the same length of time, Spain was definitely cheaper by a long shot.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
RayS, we were going to meet up with our French mates in Vermenton, "Chablis"area south east of Paris, but looking at prices for a month in August , not too bad but suddenly hospital and dental appoinment stopped us. We carry about two weeks of frozen food for a month then have to pay the high EU prices. And haven't gone to visit friends in Switzerland this year, they have come here as it's so cheap compared to there, so we have toured up to St Andrews and back for a short two week trip. If UK weather is good then the touring here is great.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for input since my last posting. Currently onsite SW of Troyes at a site which has not raised it's prices too much and provides excellent value for money, including a loyalty card system. So that cheers me up somewhat.
However - and there is always a however - I have come across another factor adding to the cost of overseas touring if you happen to be unlucky with your choice of outfit.
This is explained in my new posting 'When does 11.8 = 13?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
RayS said:
Thanks for input since my last posting. Currently onsite SW of Troyes at a site which has not raised it's prices too much and provides excellent value for money, including a loyalty card system. So that cheers me up somewhat.
However - and there is always a however - I have come across another factor adding to the cost of overseas touring if you happen to be unlucky with your choice of outfit.
This is explained in my new posting 'When does 11.8 = 13?

Brittany ferries give you the choice of either up to 4m or 5m for the vehicle and 8m or 9m for the caravan. The vehicle is 4.822m in length so under 5m and the caravan is 8.16m in length. Combined length is under 13m. However Brittany ferries charge us for the vehicle and caravan length being over 13m although the combined length is 12982mm. A difference of about 18mm. The extra charge is about £25 each way. Okay there is the tow ball that has to be taken into consideration, but the hitch of the caravan overlaps the towball covering it.
On our last trip I disputed the charge Online however when at the port they measured the combined unit and it was under 13m. They use the eye and a little wheel to do the measurements so being out by a few centimetres is not going to make any difference. They are actually looking for units that are out by .25m or more. Next year when booking I will take the chance and book the caravan in at under 8m. If there is a dispute we can pay the difference at the port however I don't think they will dispute it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Comforting - in a way - to know it's not just me.
I would be a little wary of paying the 'excess' at the port. This is quite likely to be called a change in booking and attract a fee. Last time I changed at a port - had to go home unexpectedly early - this fee was £35 and that was some years ago.
You can change on-line for free up to a day or so before departure, but that's no help in the case we are discussing

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Funnily enough we have just booked the ferry the other night to for next year for France and have actually had to include the length with the bikes on the back rack but still is just on 8 metres but still comes into the category of 8 metres and under otherwise it would have been a bit of a price hike after that ! Proper rip off merchants !! :angry:

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
RayS said:
....Thanks for input since my last posting. Currently onsite SW of Troyes at a site which has not raised it's prices too much and provides excellent value for money, including a loyalty card system.....

We were pricing France and have found quite a price hike since last time we were there , we paid £454 for just over 2 weeks at the Dordogne , it's rocketed up in price for where we are going , it's just under £9oo 16 nights this time ! Still a few grand cheeper than greece , and i get to bring my wine ( & whisky & perno ) back !!! :p

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
RayS said:
....Thanks for input since my last posting. Currently onsite SW of Troyes at a site which has not raised it's prices too much and provides excellent value for money, including a loyalty card system.....

We were pricing France and have found quite a price hike since last time we were there , we paid £454 for just over 2 weeks at the Dordogne , it's rocketed up in price for where we are going , it's just under £9oo 16 nights this time ! Still a few grand cheeper than greece , and i get to bring my wine ( & whisky & perno ) back !!! :p

In Paris this year I got hit for €8.5 for a 250 ml glass of red Belgian beer. Ouch. With French year in year inflation higher than here, plus the pound diving prices will be higher. But that steep increase for site fees doesn’t seem to be explained by those reasons.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
otherclive said:
Craigyoung said:
RayS said:

In Paris this year I got hit for €8.5 for a 250 ml glass of red Belgian beer. Ouch. With French year in year inflation higher than here, plus the pound diving prices will be higher. But that steep increase for site fees doesn’t seem to be explained by those reasons.

We don't look at exchange rate as that may be a bonus or not. We look at what we get for a Euro and this year it was a lot less. Plus Brittany Ferries have really increased their deposit by a fair bit. I think this is to counter any cancellations in case Brexit goes pear shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts