Buying a Freelander TD4

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm looking at buying a freelander Td4 (shortly). It will be a 3 door hardback and probably a sport (I'm coming from a sportscar so guess the hard suspension etc should be fine). People who have them how do you ate them? I've heared you can get nearly 40mpg from it. Also I have been searching for a 'chip' type device which gives and extra 33 bhp and 55 Nm torque? anyone fitted one....

thanks for any replys....ooh and people who think no one should drive 4x4 please dont reply...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Scott,

I've got a Freelander Commercial TD4 and an Avondale 460/2 Argente. The car tows well but you do need to put a bit of weight at the front of the caravan or use a stabilizer otherwise everthing gets a bit bouncy.

Sometimes I could do with a bit more power from the car for going uphills etc as it sometimes runs out of puff, but this could also be me being so used to riding a motorbike thats capable of over 180mph!

Full economy is about 36mpg when empty (the car not the fuel tank!!) and I do use the gear box to the full.

My local dealership is fantastic (Yeovil Landrover).

And for anyone reading this that thinks I shouldn't have a 4x4, I'm a self employed Scuba Instructor and can fit twelve full sets of SCUBA kit in the back, drive over a beach and still pull a boat and trailer from the water - try that in your Ford Bland!

Good luck Scott with your purchase, I love my car and hope you will too.

All the best

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Scott,

Ive had my Landy 2 years now and its never let me down. We visit a lot of basic CL's and I got fed up with getting bogged down on wet grass with the Xantia. Now I am able to help out other vanners with getting their rigs on or off the site (probably some of the anti 4X4 brigade).

Towing a large Avondale with max noseweight I get about 20mpg on a long run.

Best of luck with yours and let us know if you get it chipped

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My Kawasaki Ninja is faster than the TD4, but it doesn't tow very well! I like my Freelander. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a Land Rover, I get 40+ mpg with brisk driving, it handles (almost) like a car, has no flashy bells and whistles, holds its value, tows my van (1200kg), and has a 140kg max noseweight!

Oh, and it isn't a Kia

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I read a report in the paper the other day and Land Rover was actually the most unreliable car on the planet , thay say the reason why its called an off road vehicle is because it spends most of its time off the road and on the back of the AA truck. Sorry to dissapoint.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts