Buying new tyre

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Just had new tyre fitted for caravan As usual tread perfect but it was six years old. Usually I go to Halfords as it is near me and price was good. My local big retailer who fits my car tyres does not do caravan ones normally and his price was way over what Halfords was at that time but now even they are charging much more than anticipated. So went on line looking for 175x13 97 8ply. one firm came up with same tyre fitted by Halfords way back in 2014. So at £37+ sent for that. I expected it to come to my address originally but they send it to garage near you which in my case is 2miles. They charged £16 for fitting inc balance and valve but in my case further £6 as had TYRON bands. It came out cheaper doing it that way. Not sure about quoting the tyre company but can say if asked.

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Just had new tyre fitted for caravan As usual tread perfect but it was six years old. Usually I go to Halfords as it is near me and price was good. My local big retailer who fits my car tyres does not do caravan ones normally and his price was way over what Halfords was at that time but now even they are charging much more than anticipated. So went on line looking for 175x13 97 8ply. one firm came up with same tyre fitted by Halfords way back in 2014. So at £37+ sent for that. I expected it to come to my address originally but they send it to garage near you which in my case is 2miles. They charged £16 for fitting inc balance and valve but in my case further £6 as had TYRON bands. It came out cheaper doing it that way. Not sure about quoting the tyre company but can say if asked.
I always use Black Circles-price includes fitting, balancing & disposal of old tyre and they come to you when it is convenient-I have always found them great value for money plus you have the chance of winning your tyres for nothing as they automatically enter you in a draw when you purchase. It is genuine too as I can speak from experience-I won the draw for 2 tyres on the car. (wish I'd ordered all 4 new then!!)
Consequently, when we need new tyres for either cars or caravan they are first port of call fr price etc
Mike

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I’ve used Pneus online which source tyres within the EU but they aren’t supplying to UK at present and give no date if or when they might start again. Ive been looking at 175/14 C and noticed that whilst there are many unknown makes the choice in mid range or premium has gone down and prices up.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " Not sure about quoting the tyre company but can say if asked. "

There is nothing wrong with naming good suppliers of items.

The only time any such advertising is removed is if it is self promoting or obviously a commercial advertiser trying to bypass the Forum rules.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
if we need new tyres for our caravan we normally go to the place where it goes for a service he will fit and balance them and very reasonable price

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if we need new tyres for our caravan we normally go to the place where it goes for a service he will fit and balance them and very reasonable price
Sometimes convenience has a value, and whilst I'd guess you might find a better deal by a few pounds, when you factor in the cost of making the car or caravan available or your time, the apparent savings can be lost or even turned into an added cost.

Each to their own.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our car needs two rear tyres as has done since its last service in September. Still within the legal limit, but down to about 3mm in some areas however the vehicle has done less than 2000 miles. since 11th Nov 2020 and now 654 miles.
I will wait until lockdown is over before purchasing new tyres. I think that tyres with less tread perform better in snowy conditions?

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Quote " Not sure about quoting the tyre company but can say if asked. "

There is nothing wrong with naming good suppliers of items.

The only time any such advertising is removed is if it is self promoting or obviously a commercial advertiser trying to bypass the Forum rules.
Ok, the tyre firm is Tyre Leader.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I will wait until lockdown is over before purchasing new tyres. I think that tyres with less tread perform better in snowy conditions?
[/QUOTE]
Don't you mean tyres with more tread perform better in Snowy conditions.
Snow tyres work by gripping the snow, like rolling up a snowman.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
The less tread the worse the tyre in snow-there is some argument that lesser tread on a tyre might be better in warm dry conditions eg like a bald grandprix tyre but if you buy snow tyres they recommend you change them at 4mm not 3 as their effectiveness in snow gets so much more reduced! Get em changed; far greater chance of aquaplaning too-what price safety.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our car needs two rear tyres as has done since its last service in September. Still within the legal limit, but down to about 3mm in some areas however the vehicle has done less than 2000 miles. since 11th Nov 2020 and now 654 miles.
That’s absolutely not true. Why do the Scandinavians insist on studs? I had a Jeep Renegade in Ottawa and it had come from Hawaii with sand tyres on. Believe you me it was lethal in snow. Touch the throttle too much and you would quickly see where you had just come from.

Reactions: JezzerB and Buckman
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I had my caravan tyres replaced and wheels balanced on my driveway by Tyre Medics. Saved me towing the van anywhere. and having to advance check out the site to ensure ease of entry and exit with the van in tow. Convenient and efficient service with a very clean outfit. This was prior to Covid, but it was all completed in about 40 mins to my recollection. I think they are a national company. I did telephone before booking to discuss the tyres I needed. I do have the van serviced annually, but i asked the dealer about replacement tyres they use a mobile fitter anyway!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
...there is some argument that lesser tread on a tyre might be better in warm dry conditions eg like a bald grandprix tyre ...
Mmm, :unsure::unsure::unsure:yes it would, but obviously normal drivers don't have an F1 pit crew ready to swap the tyre for when it gets wet.

Its also true that becasue the tyre compound has flexibility, the bigger the depth of the tread (Block height) the more the blocks will squirm and that will affect the handling of the vehicle. As the blocks wear down a very experienced driver might notice the difference in the handling, but most normal drivers wouldn't.

And of course the other thing that tyre wear does significantly alter is the depth of the tread and that has a direct effect on teh tyres ability to displace water from under the tyre when its wet.

The website of Continental tyres

https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/all-about-tyres/hazardous-driving-situations/aquaplaning#:~:text=New tyres are capable of,of the tyre tread decreases.

Tells us that a new tyre is capable of displacing 30L (3 Gals) per second at 80kmph (50mph) and as the tyre wears it cannot displace as much, which is why worn tyres are more prone to aquaplaning.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Good point on slicks. The compound is a sticky high wear rubber. As we all know, not for the road vehicle. And certainly absolutely useless is wet, ice snow etc.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I don't think I'd fancy the wear rate on sticky slicks for the road. Seriously though there are some very race orientated tyres you can put on ie approved for road cars but as the Prof says the low number of tread grooves then compromises water dispersal so you stand the risk of aquaplaning. Some tyres can be softer too in terms of tread.
I would never compromise on those 4little patches that maintain your safety on the road. I bought a Golf that had cheap Chinese tyres fitted to the front and they were scarey. They went after as soon as I could get them done.
We swap our standard or summer tyres in October to winter tyres. And back again in April. The snow we had a couple of weeks ago was nigh on un noticeable in our Mini. They are superb but awful when the temp gets above 7degrees. Like summer tyres in snow.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think I'd fancy the wear rate on sticky slicks for the road. Seriously though there are some very race orientated tyres you can put on ie approved for road cars but as the Prof says the low number of tread grooves then compromises water dispersal so you stand the risk of aquaplaning. Some tyres can be softer too in terms of tread.
I would never compromise on those 4little patches that maintain your safety on the road. I bought a Golf that had cheap Chinese tyres fitted to the front and they were scarey. They went after as soon as I could get them done.
We swap our standard or summer tyres in October to winter tyres. And back again in April. The snow we had a couple of weeks ago was nigh on un noticeable in our Mini. They are superb but awful when the temp gets above 7degrees. Like summer tyres in snow.
I have all seasons and been using them now for several years on three different cars. The current ones are Bridgestone not optimised for snow but more for wet slushy cold conditions. Although they will do snow going up the hill from our close. They are also quite open tread blocks which aids when pulling the van on wet grass. Strange that you say your winter tyres go poor above 7 dec C as when we were in Poland during summer I noticed a goodly number of cars still had winters on in July.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes they shouldn't but they can't be bothered I think is the reason. Or maybe afford it? They are noticeably less grippy -they feel 'rubbery' or wobbly ,you can feel the tyre move. I always warn swmbo if we get a warm winter day and they're on .all climates are the way to go imo but we'd invested in a spare set of wheels before they became more common.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have Knokian, Weatherproofs on our Santa Fe, which are more of a winter tyre suitable for Summer temps in the UK. That has an "open" tread pattern, I decided on these tyres as in days gone bye we used to go away in the caravan in the winter, and wanted the best grip I could.

On the caravan I have Hankook 195, 14, C. I think I will be changing them on time rather than wearing away the moulding spikes wear away.

Feb 6, 2021
Visit site
When we bought our van in 2019 I discovered that the tyres on it were the original ones put on at manufacturers 2006 our vans a 2007, we only managed to get one week away in it in 2019 so got the tyres changed last year same day as service and got them from the local tyre place in the same village as our storage yard they came to the storage yard to fit them too which meant not having to move it. Now have 2020 tyres on so good for years to come.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When we bought our van in 2019 I discovered that the tyres on it were the original ones put on at manufacturers 2006 our vans a 2007, we only managed to get one week away in it in 2019 so got the tyres changed last year same day as service and got them from the local tyre place in the same village as our storage yard they came to the storage yard to fit them too which meant not having to move it. Now have 2020 tyres on so good for years to come.

Sounds as if the dealer you bought it from wasn’t one of the best. Tyres way beyond any recommendations for life, and rear end damp covered up. Hopefully the problems are behind you and now you can look forward to enjoying the caravan.

Feb 6, 2021
Visit site
Sounds as if the dealer you bought it from wasn’t one of the best. Tyres way beyond any recommendations for life, and rear end damp covered up. Hopefully the problems are behind you and now you can look forward to enjoying the caravan.

it would appear that way although at the time we didn’t know that obviously. Now , how much he know of the condition at the back end I don’t know cos he didn’t do it the previous owner did but he should certainly have changed the tyres and I’m sure he knew something was wrong at the back end. Still charged enough for the van mind. But yes, it’s done now and looking and smelling great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts