Calor Gas - Shortage!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
We couldn't get a new propane cylinder for our new van at all. Ended up getting a butane 7kg empty from a neighbour and changed out the pigtail on the caravan for butane.

Calor wont swap a butane empty for a propane refill now either.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is an availability problem and Calor state it on their website. But exchanges for the small group category are still available according to Calor's website. It might have been local availability issue. But its not a surprise given the large increase in demand from caravans and motorhomes. But isn't the exchange price astronomical at £39.99 Surprised that Calor did not see this one coming when they had so much prior notice.

Flogas cold be an option, or Safefill but last year even Safefill had limited or nil availability on line.

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/advice/returns#gas-bottle-exchange

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Looks like I might have to get a charcoal BBQ, or an electric griddle, thankfully I have two full calorlites , but an empty 13kg Propane,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking at Flogas they too have no 6 kg propane cylinders available other than by exchange. But they do have the Gaslight bottles in 5 kg and 10 kg sizes. They will not take a Calor steel cylinder in exchange for a Flogas steel cylinder but they will take virtually every other make of steel cylinder.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
There a Calor retailer where I live and still can get 6kg propane cylinders are available and they will delivered it to me but at present I am ok :)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
There is an availability problem and Calor state it on their website. But exchanges for the small group category are still available according to Calor's website. It might have been local availability issue. But its not a surprise given the large increase in demand from caravans and motorhomes. But isn't the exchange price astronomical at £39.99 Surprised that Calor did not see this one coming when they had so much prior notice.

Flogas cold be an option, or Safefill but last year even Safefill had limited or nil availability on line.

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/advice/returns#gas-bottle-exchange
I am in agreement the exchange price of £39.99 (Calor) is a bit steep

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....I live 2 miles from a main Calor depot and normally just turn up and exchange a Propane cylinder.
Currently they are not alowing retail customers so can't buy this way . ...they want £5 for delivery !
No chance!!
Far from being desperate yet ...so will keep an empty until they wise up!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
.....I live 2 miles from a main Calor depot and normally just turn up and exchange a Propane cylinder.
Currently they are not alowing retail customers so can't buy this way . ...they want £5 for delivery !
No chance!!
Far from being desperate yet ...so will keep an empty until they wise up!

Indeed, and if "we" can't get an exchange, we will hold onto the bottle till we can, somewhat driving the shortage if they never get the bottles back to refill.
Or is that the plan, opt out of the small bottle market altogether?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My local Calor dealer had two 6kg propane when I went yesterday. I had one 👍. He says a number of main Calor distribution centres have closed including the large on at Swindon. Seems
There is a world wide shortage of steel.
Sales of new bottle contracts is up 40 % on the year. New comers?
Covid has encouraged more home BBQ.
More people caravanning and motor homes increasing gas usage.
Maybe there’s still hope for the British Steel Industry🤔🤔😉

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I was just about to grill a nice rib eye steak yesterday evening when I ran out of lpg.
Fortunately we have one electric hob ring so I fried my steak on electric.
I bought a replacement 6kg propane calor gas this morning from the site, Waterrow Touring Park, it was his last full one and it was £26.50

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was just about to grill a nice rib eye steak yesterday evening when I ran out of lpg.
I bought a replacement 6kg propane calor gas this morning from the site, Waterrow Touring Park, it was his last full one and it was £26.50

Fried steak on a hob. Yech! :D Was the exchange a Calorlite bottle? Price from the park not too bad IMHO.

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Cmon Parksy, dont make the van smell of fried food, use the exhaust manifold. :LOL:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The steak was delicious and with the window open, the roof vent fan on and the griddle pan washed up there was no residual cooking smell.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Parksy was the steak tasty ;)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What shortage of Calor gas? We're on a CL in Caithness and one of our Calorlites ran out the other night, the next morning I called in on CAMC Dunnet Bay and got a Calorlite refill without any issue.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I too have had no problem getting a refill 3 weeks ago it remains a fact there is a serious problem that is not improving. Calor have issued a Nationwide statement explaining why there is a shortage of new cylinders. It’s the delay in manufacturing new cylinders.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
It’s the delay in manufacturing new cylinders.

They have been saying that for four or five years. This isnt a new problem, Calor promised to invest substantially in new cyclinders and it doesnt appear to have happened.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As we keep getting told there is a shortage of Calorlite. I kept my eyes open. Now have two full ones but not going anywhere!

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This isn’t the Calorlite issue where Calor failed to honour their undertaking to produce a replacement. This current shortage has arisen because of the large increase in leisure vehicles of all sorts. Some say a 25% increase. If each had only one bottle that would rattle the supply chain but I guess many would have bought two bottles. It’s affecting Flogas too but not so much their Gaslight grp cylinders. Added to this is a world steel shortage. Hence the problems of availability affecting areas.

Reactions: JTQ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts