Calorgas supplies

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Was just talking to a local Calor agent looking for a 19kg refill, they're tearing their hair out with Calor, missed deliveries, no stock etc etc. Not surprising many stockists are leaving Calor.

The 3.9kg used by most boat owners is discontinued, the 6kg and now the 19kg are only available 2nd hand and refills hard to come by.

No way to run a serious business.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
But sales of pre owned rocketed such that dealerships were stock out, so by my logic that would have increased demand for gas cylinders, as in normal times that stock would have been sitting at the dealerships.
But where did all the cylinders go when those pre-owned caravans were traded in?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
But where did all the cylinders go when those pre-owned caravans were traded in?
Could the previous owners have retained them as I’m sure some would have purchased another caravan or motorhome and used them in the new acquisition. But the new entrants to the leisure vehicle market would have required cylinder(s). What’s your take on why a shortage started to develop at the same time that leisure vehicle sales shot up as Staycation became the norm?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Could the previous owners have retained them as I’m sure some would have purchased another caravan or motorhome and used them in the new acquisition. But the new entrants to the leisure vehicle market would have required cylinder(s). What’s your take on why a shortage started to develop at the same time that leisure vehicle sales shot up as Staycation became the norm?
Yes, I think you're right - but it shouldn't have been difficult for Calor to match LPG availability to demand given that demand from non-leisure users and existing caravanners and campers didn't increase.

My take is that Calor wants out of the cylinder rental business, maybe can't find a buyer so is just running the sector down.

Reactions: Notmyvan
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When I worked in Nigeria, we would see lorry's delivering empty calor 6 and 13 kg gas bottles around the Lagos and Ikeja areas. This was around 2014 , a 6 kg would cost us about £ 10 equivalent.
When I PX my caravan, I took my gas bottle and Pigtail with me, as the dealer didn't supply either.

May 15, 2023
Visit site
Spoke today to my local builders merchants, where I have an account, but have never required gas until purchasing a caravan with 2 near empty 6kg bottles!

They informed me that although they order 10 x 6kg bottles from Calor, they generally only get 4 or 5 and these go within a couple of days. they get Calor deliveries every week.

So it appears that, one has to establish the Calor delivery run or schedule and follow it., and or as I have done, purchased the refills upfront, and will get a call when the bottlers are in.
Should ad that am having to pay an exorbitant £18 for a 6kg bottle!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As we had to paid for our Calorgas bottle, when we bought our Safefill, we put the Calorlite bottle in the garage. There is no way we will get back our deposit or even part of it, so not bothered with taking it to the local Calorgas depot. I suspect many other people feel the same way.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As we had to paid for our Calorgas bottle, when we bought our Safefill, we put the Calorlite bottle in the garage. There is no way we will get back our deposit or even part of it, so not bothered with taking it to the local Calorgas depot. I suspect many other people feel the same way.
I think the low rate of rental refund, plus the reqirement to have the original paperwork means that few cylinders get returned when the "owner" no long needs them - I'd get just £9 per cylinder now if I returned mine, 25% of the original £36 rental charge as I still have the paperwork.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Few years ago I was doing a garage clearance for an elderly neighbor. He had 6 empty 15kg butane bottles and 2 13kg propane. No paperwork for any of them.
Took them to the local tip who wanted to charge £5 per bottle to dispose of them.
Did a detour to Calor main depot, witch is now closed to the public, and got paid £18 per bottle!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our recycling centre generally has a selection of Calor cylinders but wheras once you could "purchase" a cylinder that is not allowed now. Clearly some owners don't feel its worth returning to Calor for the refund, or have lost the agreements etc.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our recycling centre generally has a selection of Calor cylinders but wheras once you could "purchase" a cylinder that is not allowed now. Clearly some owners don't feel its worth returning to Calor for the refund, or have lost the agreements etc.
Most UK local authority recycling centers are actually operated by private companies contracted by the Local Authority (LA). As such they have to follow the local authorities codes of practice, which preclude the sale of goods and materials direct back to the public, partly becasue of the liability the LA would face.

If the a collection center were to "sell" or release a faulty cylinder that causes death or injury or some other loss to a member of the public, they would be criminally liable under the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations, the Health And safety Act and culpable as a retailer under the Consumer Rights Act.

In the case of Calor and other branded rented cylinders, The ownership remains with the Brand, and the LA has no legal right to sell them or to dispose of them except back to the legal brand owners, though in theory the LA could charge the brand owner and or the depositor a collection/ handling or storage fee.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Most UK local authority recycling centers are actually operated by private companies contracted by the Local Authority (LA). As such they have to follow the local authorities codes of practice, which preclude the sale of goods and materials direct back to the public, partly becasue of the liability the LA would face.

If the a collection center were to "sell" or release a faulty cylinder that causes death or injury or some other loss to a member of the public, they would be criminally liable under the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations, the Health And safety Act and culpable as a retailer under the Consumer Rights Act.

In the case of Calor and other branded rented cylinders, The ownership remains with the Brand, and the LA has no legal right to sell them or to dispose of them except back to the legal brand owners, though in theory the LA could charge the brand owner and or the depositor a collection/ handling or storage fee.
Some local authority recyling centres have a shop where items can be obtained in exchange for a charity donation - no selling involved.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

That’s why I wrote “ purchase” within apostrophes 😱

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone stayed at either of the "Club" sites and noticed if they have any Calor 6kg full bottles. Let's face it they should have.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone stayed at either of the "Club" sites and noticed if they have any Calor 6kg full bottles. Let's face it they should have.
From experience, their supplies of Calor are hit & miss - unless they've changed it's a private arrangement between the wardens and the local distributor, nothing to do with the clubs themselves.

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
On the C&CC web site one contributor as advised that at the site he visited there was no gas and no shop. He suggests that the warden told him the club had removed the right for the wardens to sell gas and goods in favour of a club wide system. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On the C&CC web site one contributor as advised that at the site he visited there was no gas and no shop. He suggests that the warden told him the club had removed the right for the wardens to sell gas and goods in favour of a club wide system. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
I think you are predicting a real, downfall. Especially with the shop, how often have you got on site only to realise that something was left on the kitchen top at home. Or you think oh we will get some fresh eggs at the site.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CAMC Wardens ran the shops and gas supplies themselves. Another income stream that went caput during lockdown. Some have not continued the gas supply due to lack of cylinders from Calor

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
I stopped at Black Knowl last week and they had 6kg available.
A few weeks back we got a refill from Oxon Park in Shrewsbury, good levels of 6kg in stock and lots of empties!

Kev

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We stop at Rutland caravan and camping site they did have calor in stock when we were there and looking at there details today it says sale of calor gas .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts