CAMPSITES NEAR BIARRITZ??

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Can anyone recommend from personal experience a campsite near Biarritz?

I know I can look in the many Guides and use Google etc BUT what I would appreciate is PERSONAL experiences.

My wife and I (without kids) are looking for a campsite preferably on the coast with a good restaurant within walking distance of the site, pool etc on site and within a short drive of Biarritz itself.

We are looking to go early/mid July before the school holidays.

Incidentally, we are not "Grumpies" - we will be taking another break in the school holidays and with children.

Any PERSONAL recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I would definitely recommend Pavillion Royal in Bidard - just south of Biarritz.

We went to this site a few years ago when we were travelling from Spain. I had about 3 sites in the area in mind - we called at Residence de Pins and, after an inspection of the site, came straight out and travelled just down the road to Pavillion Royal. It has direct access to the beach. Good sized grass pitches (no statics). A good restaurant and shop is on site with a newish Intermarche a few minutes drive away. Although we went with our children it is not a site that would perhaps attract too many as, although there are swimming pools, there is no "pool complex" and there is a basic play area. Within a shortdrive you reach Biarritz to the North and St Jean to Luz to the south, a very nice fishing port with great seafood restaurants. The site is only about 10 mins from the Autoroute junction.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would definitely recommend Pavillion Royal in Bidard - just south of Biarritz.

We went to this site a few years ago when we were travelling from Spain. I had about 3 sites in the area in mind - we called at Residence de Pins and, after an inspection of the site, came straight out and travelled just down the road to Pavillion Royal. It has direct access to the beach. Good sized grass pitches (no statics). A good restaurant and shop is on site with a newish Intermarche a few minutes drive away. Although we went with our children it is not a site that would perhaps attract too many as, although there are swimming pools, there is no "pool complex" and there is a basic play area. Within a shortdrive you reach Biarritz to the North and St Jean to Luz to the south, a very nice fishing port with great seafood restaurants. The site is only about 10 mins from the Autoroute junction.
what is the weather generally like during late July / early August?

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
We visited this area in late May / early June and the weather was sunny and warm - late 20's early 30's. However the weather in the whole of France these past few years has been what they describe as "changeable".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would agree with everything Lesley has said about Pavillion Royal and would add that most of the good-sized pitches have water and drainage. We visited in September and just one note of caution the bottom of the site is on a cliff with excellent sea views, very attractive on the face of it, unfortunately this coastline is often subject to high winds and everything within around 70m tends to get covered in salt spray. Nevertheless would recommend site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We go to Pavillon Royal regularly in August. It is a great site in a fantastic location. It can get a bit crowded at the time your thinking about, particularly during Basque Festival week in Bayonne.

The sanitary blocks are getting a bit 'tired'. They have been the same for the last 20+ years and they tend to shut one of the toilet and one of the shower blocks for cleaning around 7.30 - 8.30 each morning which seems crazy. However everything else more than makes up for those shortcomings (for me anyway, a lot of people hate it and vow never to return).

Don't expect settled weather in this part of France. It just doesn't happen. It can change very, very quickly. We've had temperatures in the 40's and very severe storms which have ripped up tents and awnings and damaged caravans. In a typical 2 week stay you'll be guaranteed at least one good blow and being on a cilltop on the coast you will need to batten down well.

The beach below is absolutely fantastic but don't go near the water unless you are a strong swimmer and take notice of the lifeguards. They do a great job and really do know what they are on about.

My advice would be give it a go. For me it's the top spot

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We go to Pavillon Royal regularly in August. It is a great site in a fantastic location. It can get a bit crowded at the time your thinking about, particularly during Basque Festival week in Bayonne.

The sanitary blocks are getting a bit 'tired'. They have been the same for the last 20+ years and they tend to shut one of the toilet and one of the shower blocks for cleaning around 7.30 - 8.30 each morning which seems crazy. However everything else more than makes up for those shortcomings (for me anyway, a lot of people hate it and vow never to return).

Don't expect settled weather in this part of France. It just doesn't happen. It can change very, very quickly. We've had temperatures in the 40's and very severe storms which have ripped up tents and awnings and damaged caravans. In a typical 2 week stay you'll be guaranteed at least one good blow and being on a cilltop on the coast you will need to batten down well.

The beach below is absolutely fantastic but don't go near the water unless you are a strong swimmer and take notice of the lifeguards. They do a great job and really do know what they are on about.

My advice would be give it a go. For me it's the top spot
Just realized that Basque Festival is around last week July and first week in Aug

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all.

I've found the Pavillon Roal website and I'll check it out.

Did any of you come across Camping UR-ONEA in Bidart whilst you were there?

Dave
No - the only other side we went to look at was Les Castels site - le Ruisseau. Basically that site was mainly statics with a few touring pitches round the pool area. The pool area was at the bottom of quite a steep slope. Would not bother with that one personally.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts