Caravan damp repaired but left with marks

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
We had our service done for the caravan this year and the front right hand side had some damp which they believed has been caused by water ingress through the window seals.

So the caravan has been in and they said it had been caught just in time, I.E no structural damage and they’ve had it in the workshop to remove inner skin and let it dry out properly inside over a few weeks, along with re-sealing the windows where the internal damp was sitting, and then popped the original the inner boards again. This was obviously the cheaper way of doing it which I opted for which was sub £1k cost (including a couple of other bits and bobs), but there is some dark-ish damp stains on the shelf (where the front windows meet the shelf so in the corner). It does look a bit unsightly - I can live with it if I have to, the main thing is the damp issue has been resolved.

I did try some mould spray but that doesn’t seem to have done much, any ideas what the best way of trying to remove this damp would be?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Get a moisture meter and keep testing regularly. I would recommend a combination, pin and pinless one.

I bought this one which is really good, but not available right now.

1687177003454.png

John

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sadly I'm not aware of any process that can remove the discolouration caused by damp issues once mould has stained the wood. Bleach may work but its likely to cause it's own decolouration which could be equally noticeable. Normally replacement of all affected material is the only guaranteed way.

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
Sadly I'm not aware of any process that can remove the discolouration caused by damp issues once mould has stained the wood. Bleach may work but its likely to cause it's own decolouration which could be equally noticeable. Normally replacement of all affected material is the only guaranteed way.
No problem thanks for taking the time to read and reply anyway 😊

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
May not be mould, May be water staining. Like when you have water coming through a ceiling leaving yellow marks. Again not sure how you would get rid of them as they may be under the surface that you are trying to clean. You could try a mild abrasive like Cif but I wouldn’t be hopeful. Covering the surface may be something to consider.
Mel

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Places like Wilko sell fablon rolls cheaply in various shades of wood finish (and other shades would be available on line). If you can find an appropriate match you may be able to complete a cover-up that will appear better than the stain.

Reactions: sarahc_

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts