Caravan Layout for Family - 2 adults 1 small child

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
H All,

I am in the process of looking for a new caravan to accommodate 2 adults and a small child. We have already decided that we will be opting for a 5 berth, but are unsure about which layout to opt for. I am swaying towards layout U, bunk beds. (ref Practical Caravan Magazine, page 114, September 2014)

Are you a family of three?
Which layout did you go for?
Are you happy with the layout you chose, if so, why?
Are you unhappy with the layout you chose, if so, why?

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks

Ash

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Ash,
I think your decision to go for a 5 berth could well turn out to be a smart move, as some caravanners keep their vans for a considerable time, many years in fact, (if they get a good one) by which time you could well be a family of 5. even if not the extra seating and room will be a bonus.
as for layouts these vary so much so my advice would be to look at as many vans (new and used) as possible and work out which is best for your needs.
the other thing to consider is what the van will be used for, this is not a strange statement as the uses of the van can be as varied as the owners who have them, if you intend to use the van say like a B&B ie get up have breakfast and then go out all day only returning to it to sleep the equipment levels need not be so great.
however if you intend to live in it for weeks on end look for one with high spec equipment. proper washrooms with waterproof shower ect plenty of workspaces for preparing meals and such.
and lastly be prepared to compromise as the van you really want may not be out there.

as an aside we are a family of 5 and managed for years with a 3berth van reason the boys refused to sleep in the van prefering to spend their nights in the awning under canvas even when it was wet and cold suppose it was like an adventure for them.

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for your response Colin.
Although there are no plans for a larger family, we are aiming for a larger van for the purpose of space. Having already looked at quite a few vans, I have notice that there are quite a few different layouts.

The downside to fixed bunk beds at the rear, is that the washroom is smaller. Like you said, what I ideally want is probably not out there

Thanks again.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ash

Colin has covered most of the important things.
Take your time. Look at as many caravans you can.

Does your child need a bunk bed or would a single bed at the front do?
As you don' r envisage a large family is a 5 berth really necessary?
With kids I believe a large bathroom is essential. So a 4 berth with large rear bathroom double fixed bed for mum and dad and two singles or one double at the front may be the better bet in the long run. Kids grow!

It is a big decision and plenty of choice. Good luck in your search and final choice.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have had two five berths and you do have to compromise on space. Ours were both the double dinette type with a four seater lounge back and front which turn into beds and the rear one has a bunk over it.
This gave the children their own space at the rear during the day and kept them away from us at night and worked very well for us. The compromise is the toilet compartment is small but presumably with five on board you will use the site facilities except at night.
There will be some older second hand ones about but currently I think only Lunar and Adria have this layout but it is worth looking at, but at the end of the day layouts are very personal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts