Caravan Service Due

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My caravan is due for a service on 15th April 2020
Caravan Service place is about 2 miles from storage
With what going on Coronavirius (i worried i will get a fine) .
So should i cancelled and have it done later ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My caravan is due for a service on 15th April 2020
Caravan Service place is about 2 miles from storage
With what going on Coronavirius (i worried i will get a fine) .
So should i cancelled and have it done later ?

Is your caravan still within warranty if so contact the dealer/manufacturer as Swift and Bailey have announced flexibility on servicing. Is the servicing centre still working? But if not under warranty just delay until things sort themselves out. It wouldn't class as an essential journey and police really dont need unnecessary actions.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Most manufacturers have issued statements regarding this. For instance, Coachman are saying that from the point that the Government lifts restrictions, owners will have 90 days to get the servicing completed to maintain their warranty.

However, there are likely to be complications as dealers will already have scheduled services booked in for that time, so whether they’ll be able to cope with the extra demand might be doubtful. Hopefully, if this is the case, the manufacturers will react accordingly.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I received an email from Bailey yesterday which said:

"In response to recent Government announcements relating to the prevention of the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) we have taken the decision to suspend all our business activities with immediate effect. Regrettable as this action may be, the health and wellbeing of our employees remains our main priority and we are therefore keen that they are able to follow Government advice to stay at home in order to protect the NHS and save lives. At present we are planning to return to work on Tuesday 21st April subject to further guidance.

For owners concerned about getting their caravan or motorhome serviced in the coming weeks to maintain the warranty, we will be extending the due date of the 2020 annual vehicle service by an additional four months."

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Elddis the same-no need to service it , warranty will be retained as long as once restrictions are lifted the owner makes every effort to then service it asap. Seems fair to me-dealers are going to be busy!

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mine not brand new but it due for Annual Service i have every year . it stamp up in the service book but it much appreciated for all of your help in this matter.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mine not brand new but it due for Annual Service i have every year . it stamp up in the service book but it much appreciated for all of your help in this matter.

If you only do low mileage and its out of warranty I wouldn't bother with a service this year.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Before missing a service do read your insurance requirements as you may breach those. A delay should not be a problem, but missing it completely sounds risky.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
For years I use to carry out my own service and never had a problem trading in or selling privately, its only as I've grown older and bought new caravans with body warranties that i have used AWS.

About the time one shot nuts and one shot handbrakes were introduced.

When I sold my Unicorn the buyer wasn't interested in asking about a service record, just the condition of the interior...

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I just had mine serviced, 13th March, Had I not had it done then, And this lock down had happened, I would not bother until the end of this year, that way your not in the rush of the "going out for the season "people.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I just had mine serviced, 13th March, Had I not had it done then, And this lock down had happened, I would not bother until the end of this year, that way your not in the rush of the "going out for the season "people.
Ours has hardly been used for 12 months so just checked out all systems washed it and towed it back to store. Will probably do the same as you later in the year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I sold my Unicorn the buyer wasn't interested in asking about a service record, just the condition of the interior...
It may not be the case every time, but for some people do look for a full sweep of stamps and service dates, it's a piece of evidence the car or caravan has been cared for. A book with missing stamps might make some potential buyers walk away, or try to negotiate a lower price.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My local Dealer just issued this for the three main brands they supply. Makes interesting reading. Lunar Automotive seem to be taking a different view from the mainstream.

“Bailey & Swift have given a 4 month extension to the 2020 annual service due date.
Lunar recognise that the Coronavirus is going to impact on Lunar owners being able to have their caravan serviced. Lunar Automotive are willing to assess all cases on merit covering the situations below:
If a customer has to cancel their appointment due to self-isolation.
If an appointment is cancelled by dealer or NCC agent.
If a service is due during a self-isolation period or an enforced Government lockdown and unable to be booked in, then Lunar will also take these factors into account”.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That seems like a sensible approach, after all there is no guarantee at the moment that non essential businesses (Caravan dealers/ service centres) will be allowed to re-open any time soon.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Two vulnerable people I know have received NHS letters this week telling them to stay indoors at home for the next three months. Not looking good imo.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Well i would rather keep the service stamps going
Thanks for all of your help in this matter..
Beachball, have you considered a mobile engineer just for this year, most I suspect are self employed and would probably gald of the work, they could go to storage area and do it there (I suppose that would be down to the storage site allowing him do it there for you) you would then have the service stamp for this year.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Funny enough was talking with OH today on exact same subject, Mr Fleety was serviced last September and was not used after the service and still hasnt been to date, so we came to the conclusion IF we get the chance to use it this year we will
service him in September, if it doesnt move , which I think is the most likely scenario it wont get done. :(

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget though that the extension to the service dates that some manufacturers have recently given are for this year only. If still in warranty this is is not a rolling extension. So for example your service was due today 23rd April 2020 you can currently extend this between 3 and 6 months. However next 23 April your service will be due again.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think , when it comes to next year, Early March, as we are out of warranty, by a couple of years i will skip it , I am not intending to sell the caravan, I cannot see dealers stamping vans for sale sitting in their sales yards being stamped as being serviced.

Reactions: Parksy
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I will get the caravan serviced when I can, I am more concerned with damp than anything else and although I have a cheap meter I would prefer that it is checked with a professional one. A bit of reassurance on the rest though would not go amiss.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts