Caravan site near Santander

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I would be interested in comparisons between 2 sites near the Santander ferry, please.
We will need to stay a couple of nights before the ferry back to Portsmouth, so we can get Covid tests organised.
I have found Camping Virgen del Mar and Camping Cabo Mayor.
Both look decent and are not far from Santander.
Any preferences?
Thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would be interested in comparisons between 2 sites near the Santander ferry, please.
We will need to stay a couple of nights before the ferry back to Portsmouth, so we can get Covid tests organised.
I have found Camping Virgen del Mar and Camping Cabo Mayor.
Both look decent and are not far from Santander.
Any preferences?
Thanks
A lot depends on time of the year as most are closed over the winter. We used a site called Zamara which is not near Santander, but was within easy driving distance to catch the mid day ferry.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry - I should have given our dates.

We will be in Santander in early April - probably a couple of nights from the 8th.
We really need to be close-ish to Santander, to get our pre-departure Covid tests.
Thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We stayed at Zarautz campsite which is about 2 hours from Santander. Nice site with fantastic views.
I cannot remember what time the ferry left, but we arrived with plenty of time to spare so was probably an afternoon ferry.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
We have stayed in Burgos (Fuentes Blancas). 3 hour drive, at most. We like it because you can park fully hitched ready for a quick getaway. However, the wifi is weak (something to consider if you want to submit test results online). We had to ask Reception if we could use theirs.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
We are planning to get our pre-ferry tests done at one of the Labs in Santander - it's a pre-bookable walk in system and the result is provided quickly by email I think. That's why we want to be near the city for our final 2 nights. We can'r afford to risk missing the ferry for various reasons.

Reactions: PTA
Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks carper2.
I'm going to post a separate question in the forum, nearer our departure date, but I'd be interested in whether you had any hassle with Spanish Customs checking the contents of your fridge / food cupboards when you got off the ferry?

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I've often travelled via Santander and when the ferry has arrived late in the day, I've booked in at Virgen del Mar. It's just across town from the Port - but the easiest drive is via the motorways - about 10 miles. My stay has either been on arrival in November or departure in early March. The site is huge but in low season much of it is closed. Only the pitches close to reception are used. They are very deep, but also quite narrow - each pitch marked by trees. For an overnight stop, it would be possible to stay hitched. The site has a no-dog rule, however, I've seen caravanners with dogs on site. Maybe they relax the rule in winter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts