Channel ferry prices

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Am I alone in thinking that channel ferry prices have risen very much faster than inflation?
I've just been quoted approx £200 for a return to Calais on P&O. My outfit comprises a medium sized car and a modest 2 berth van. The period of the trip was March/April. Not in any bank holiday, school holiday period. No bike racks etc.
It seems that only a few years ago, the same trip would have cost approx £75.
Or is my memory playing tricks?
Does anyone have factual evidence to either support or dismss my thoughts?,

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Ferry fares have increased of late, but £200 does seem rather a lot.
I've just booked Dover-Dunkirk for late April, return mid-June, through the Caravan Club for £160 (£220 including two dogs). First quote was £260 for a Tuesday crossing. I refused this as far too dear, and was promptly offered Monday for £160.
It seems to be like insurance - never accept the first quote.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When you last obtained a ticket, was it a special offer? If that were the case it could certainly explain an apparent increase.

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, I think they've risen quite a bit over the last couple of years.

I fact looking at our 2 week trip for mid June, the tunnel is working out only marginally more expensive, so will probably go via that instead.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Even with the tunnel it pays to study the timetable. Not used for a couple of years but when we last did it was significantly cheaper outbound afternoons and return mid mornings. We used to book around 16.00 outbound but found that if we arrived early we could usually go on an earlier train at no extra cost. Similarly coming back around 11.30.
Even cheaper in the small hpurs if you are a night person

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
ferry crossings are pretty cheap when you consider exactly how much they were back 2 decades, just short of £200 was the price i paid in 1995 for just a car and that was the cheapest i could get, a midnight crossing from margate to ostend . anything from Dover was more expensive! then of course go back just over a decade to 2006 and you could get 1.50 Euro's to a pound .compare that to today 1.10 is it not surprising the prices have gone up when our pound is so weak... one has to wonder what is going to happen to pricing over the next few years as agreements are repealed and we the average jo blog has to pay real prices ...

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We go Hull - Zeebrugge, never the cheapest. But by far the most convenient.
About 10 years ago we used to pay about £350 towing a trailer tent. This year we are paying £404 for a caravan. Pretty chuffed with that to be honest.
The trick is to find out when is cheapest - in our case caravans are free at week-ends, and to see if there are deals through the CC or C&CC.
Booking direct with P&O was getting on for £900. So we have halved the cost ... or doubled the wine kitty!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts