Charging battery - generator or car?

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I am due to go to the Great Dorset Steam Fair for seven days without mains hookup. Although I have a new battery in the van it probably will not last the week.

So I have to assume at some point the battery will need charging. Now, should I take my little generator to do this or should I just hook up the 12S socket to the car and run the engine for a bit?

The generator is a cheap and cheerful 2 stroke 780 watt max unit, and there are no electronics in the van that might get upset by its unstable output - it has been tried and tested and will do the job, but is it worth taking, i.e. risk of theft, extra weight, (although it does not weigh much) etc. I probably would get by without any 240V only equipment, but having 240V could be handy. The charger in the van is a good old zig unit.

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
As you are staying for 7 nights, I think it would be best to take it.

We went to the Dorset steam fair and borrowed my Dad's Genny, it was great having it, we chained it around the caravan chassis (then if anyone did try and nick it they would make a real racket trying !)

We ran the fridge off gas most of the day, but used the genny when we got up in the morning, and when we were back in the 'van during the day/evening.

One thing that is not of concern is noise. So many people coming and going and the fairground and noise of the engines driving around, the genny was quiet in comparison.

Hope this helps.

Dec 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Cheap n Cheerful, welcome to Dorset. If you are staying on the actual site at Tarrant Hinton, then whatever genny you take the noise will be swallowed in the general hullabaloo from the site itself.

If you are staying at the New Forest DA site (C&CC) at Stourpaine, then a quick one would be better.

We live not too far from this rally but don't go any more, too big and very difficult for hubby in wheelchair.

Enjoy it, it is an experience.

Margaret W.

Dec 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Cheap n Cheerful, welcome to Dorset. If you are staying on the actual site at Tarrant Hinton, then whatever genny you take the noise will be swallowed in the general hullabaloo from the site itself.

If you are staying at the New Forest DA site (C&CC) at Stourpaine, then a quick one would be better.

We live not too far from this rally but don't go any more, too big and very difficult for hubby in wheelchair.

Enjoy it, it is an experience.

Margaret W.
A further point, whatever you take, especially to the Steam Rally camp site, take a strong chain and if necessary "nail everything down".

Margaret W.

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks for your replies, I am staying on site in the 'red' camping area. I think it sounds like the generator will be too handy to leave behind, I'll just have to make sure it is secure.

Apr 21, 2007
Visit site
hubby went last year and took the genny left it in car covered up during the day and when he was at the van he put on just to boost everything up never had any problems at all, we are all going with him this year and have bought an invertor to run off the car battery so we wont need to take the generator with us hope it will work ok.

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Funnily enough I have decided to buy a small invertor, Maplins were doing a special offer, 14.99 I think it was for a 150W one and I could not resist. Not much point getting a bigger one since that one is plenty capable of draining the battery faster than the generator could charge it, well at least via the zig unit anyway and I do not want to fork out lots of money for a powerful charger - may as well run stuff straight off the generator unless I have a particular reason not to use it - maybe like watching tv late at night. So I will take the generator and the invertor with me and see how I get on!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts