Checking caravan when buying privately

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Thanks! The first thing to do is figure out why the battery is not charging, may require a new charger. The second thing - is to reseal the front and back, so there won't be water ingress. My first camping will be in a familiar place so I will have 3 days to solve all issues.
I will try to record a YT video, or at least take photos so maybe someone will be able to repeat the procedure. Ideally Bailey factory and dealers ;)

PS. I really, really, really don't understand why Bailey is not protecting the floor. Marine ply is a bit expensive, but in bulk, it might be much cheaper. Besides, you need only 2 such sheets - front and back.
Or just simple ply sealing. But sure, at least you can park your tow car on the roof....

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks! The first thing to do is figure out why the battery is not charging, may require a new charger. The second thing - is to reseal the front and back, so there won't be water ingress. My first camping will be in a familiar place so I will have 3 days to solve all issues.
I will try to record a YT video, or at least take photos so maybe someone will be able to repeat the procedure. Ideally Bailey factory and dealers ;)

PS. I really, really, really don't understand why Bailey is not protecting the floor. Marine ply is a bit expensive, but in bulk, it might be much cheaper. Besides, you need only 2 such sheets - front and back.
Or just simple ply sealing. But sure, at least you can park your tow car on the roof....

Can I suggest that you get an Approved Workshop Scheme technician to give the caravan a good check. Cost is normally about £60, but money well spent.

A general service will set you back about £150 which includes a check of everything and again money well spent and you know your family is safe from any unknown mechanical defects ,unknown gas leaks, mould spores etc.

You then know which areas to rectify and maybe can do most of them yourself?

https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/find-approved-workshop

https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/find-approved-workshop

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Oh, yes, the servicing will be done by an engineer - I don't have the experience to do all required chassis or gas checks. I will do myself only some non-essential repairs, and at least for now, after years of holidays under the tent, almost everything is unessential ;) But most of the things work - I don't want to give you an impression that I bought a lemon.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Oh, yes, the servicing will be done by an engineer - I don't have the experience to do all required chassis or gas checks. I will do myself only some non-essential repairs, and at least for now, after years of holidays under the tent, almost everything is unessential ;) But most of the things work - I don't want to give you an impression that I bought a lemon.

You mentioned damp ingress around the corner caps and also an issue with teh charger. A service agent is better equipped to tell you exactly what is wrong with either and the extent of the damp ingress.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The charger used on Bailey vans is well known for failure.
I had one die on me on my first day of a two week holiday, When I plugged in to the mains it tripped half the caravan site as it had failed in a really odd way (the ferrite corehad shattered in the transformer causing a massive short circuit
Upgraded ones are available here http://www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/product_pages/product_page_PS276.html
After having , a power supply unit , fail on me and a round trip of 140 miles to get a new one, I carry a spare one all the time now. If the present one fails I shall get that repaired/ upgraded, by apujack.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
After having , a power supply unit , fail on me and a round trip of 140 miles to get a new one, I carry a spare one all the time now. If the present one fails I shall get that repaired/ upgraded, by apujack.
I was lucky in that there was a spares place about 5 miles from the site , and they had one in stock. But it was £130! that took quite a chunk out of the holiday budget, less eating out :(

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts