Checking caravan when buying privately

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
I am going to see one of the Bailey Alu-Tech caravans soon. I will print the equipment list, will go one by one checking all works. Obviously, CRiS check, matching windows etc, if corners are dumped. Lift the van to see if the wheels are spinning freely. I wonder if there is anything I might be missing?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Tyres should be replaced between 5-7 years from date of manufacture. Rarely if ever will you see a caravan with tyres approaching the legal tread limit. It’s lack of use compared to cars, exposure to UV, and they degrade with time. I always changed mine at 5 years, but would keep the spare to 7 years if not used.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Also Damp. Check the roof strap isn’t leaking. Been there, done that, got the wet t-shirt as well as the wet mattress, wet floor, wet wall. Known issue on Baileys alleged solved!
Check blinds run freely and the bed slats pull out and are not broken. Open every single locker and bed box. Check all appliances and heating and hot water.
If buying privately check for outstanding finance.
Good luck
mel

Reactions: JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
You should always try to view at the sellers home, if they offer to bring the caravan to you or meet somewhere else be suspicious.
Do ask for proof of ownership and service records to check they own it and that it has been maintained.
Do an HPI check using the VIN number to make sure it is not on HP and not theirs to sell and it is not recorded as stolen.
The principle enemy of caravans is damp, so unless they have a recent report from a reliable engineer bring a damp meter and check it or get an inspection by a mobile engineer. If the seller will not allow a damp check assume the worst and walk away.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I believe CRiS registration is equivalent to HPI?
Regarding dump, I am seeing only Alu-Tech from private owners so I believe its less problem (except the floor), but Amazon is delivering dump meter at the moment :)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Don’t think CRIS is the same as HPI?
Alu Tech is not a guarantee against Damp. You are right to get a meter.
Mel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I believe CRiS registration is equivalent to HPI?
Regarding dump, I am seeing only Alu-Tech from private owners so I believe its less problem (except the floor), but Amazon is delivering dump meter at the moment :)
Are you sure that's what you meant to write?
There's an edit facility so that if you read what you've written and it contains silly mistakes, you can make corrections

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We brought our present caravan one owner from new from her home i ask would you mind if i use my damp meter no problem
it had service history and the service book stamp up and paperwork . Tyres were like new when we got it
We did a CRIS check to see it was not stolen
Also a HPI check using the vin number there is no HP
We put a deposit down and paid the rest a week later

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you intend to use a damp meter on a caravan you are looking at seek the owners permission before you start, otherwise you could be called to book for damaging the caravan as the probes need to pierce the internal vinyl wall surface.

Alwasy try to test in a way that wont leave visible marks, for instance just under the rubber window seals etc.

If the owner refuses to allow you to do it walk away.

I really do support Rays comment about having a caravan inspected by an AWS engineer, before you agree to purchase.

Reactions: Ern
Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Are you sure that's what you meant to write?
There's an edit facility so that if you read what you've written and it contains silly mistakes, you can make corrections
Silly me - now I see it have to sound stupid/funny. Apologies - English is not my first language and it still amazes me how many words that sound the same (at least for me) are written in a totally different way :)

What exactly is HP check?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Silly me - now I see it have to sound stupid/funny. Apologies - English is not my first language and it still amazes me how many words that sound the same (at least for me) are written in a totally different way :)

Higher Purchase a form of finance but the higher purchase company own the van until the finance is paid off. So if the owner wants too sell it with finance outstanding the buyer will need to see if the outstanding payments can be transferred. Probably easier to steer clear of one with outstanding higher purchase,

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Don't worry too much a lot of British people do not understand our own official language, let alone the Cornish, Welsh and My own Scottish, (Doric ) then there is Gaelic

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Higher Purchase a form of finance but the higher purchase company own the van until the finance is paid off. So if the owner wants too sell it with finance outstanding the buyer will need to see if the outstanding payments can be transferred. Probably easier to steer clear of one with outstanding higher purchase,
You called Outdoor Guy out over a mistake Clive, but English isn't his first language.
Higher Purchase - what's your excuse? 😁
I don't want to be a grammar nazi but the correct term is Hire Purchase.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You called Outdoor Guy out over a mistake Clive, but English isn't his first language.
Higher Purchase - what's your excuse? 😁
I don't want to be a grammar nazi but the correct term is Hire Purchase.
Do you know I didn’t think it looked right as I typed it, but at least I was consistent. But I don’t need an excuse for what was a senior moment, probably brought on by a pint and a couple of Malbec at lunchtime. Clearly took time to work through 🍷🍷🍺

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Anyway, back to the topic - cris claims it has information about outstanding finance, how does it work in practice?
If it has outstanding purchase you would need to discuss with the seller and finance house the arrangements for transfer if you wanted to buy the caravan. There was a thread on the very topic not long ago, see if I can find it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This may help as the principal is the same with something like a caravan.

HP or Hire Purchase

Under a hire purchase (HP) agreement, you usually pay a deposit followed by a monthly amount until the debt is paid off. You don’t own the car until you’ve paid the final instalment of the finance agreement. This means that if you’re still in the payment period of the agreement when you want to sell your car you’ll need to settle the finance first. Ask the finance company for a settlement figure, pay this amount, then you’ll own the car and be able to sell it.

https://forums.practicalcaravan.com...-worry-about-outstanding-finance-on-it.62344/

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Anyway, back to the topic - cris claims it has information about outstanding finance, how does it work in practice?
We sold a caravan that was on Hire Purchase no problem. We notified the finance house that we wanted to sell and that we would be liable for all outstanding payments. Sold it privately for more than a dealer offered and the buyer got a caravan in very good condition.
You could always pay the finance house the outstanding balance direct, but the issue here is if the customer phones, you are not really sure if the call is genuine. With Black horse finance the customer can go Online, log into their BH account, pull up a settlement figure while you are there and you can then pay off that balance with a debit card and not a credit card.
The owner of the caravan is the finance house and if you buy with outstanding finance and the previous owner does a runner, the finance company can take back the caravan or ask you to pay the outstanding balance.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

I am from a bilingual country in th southern hemisphere and although English was my first language sometimes my English is not up to standard either. :D

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Right, so now we are proud owners of Bailey Pegasus. It has little issues, but overall in good condition. Corners are bit damaged by water ingress.
But, being DIY person with some experience and good tool box - including 3d printer - I am sure I will handle those small repairs without problems. There is nothing that stops us from long holidays during the summer!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Congratulations on buying your Bailey, Outdoorguy.
Don't forget to let us know how the repairs that you tackle work out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts