children on caravan club sites

Oct 3, 2007
Visit site
I am writing a plea almost. My family and friends spent a lovely weekend on a site last wee. Bewteen us we had 7 children. We are all quiet respectful and polite people and strive to bring our children up the same way.

When playing by the caravans on a large piece of open field we either played with them or watched whilst having a coffee etc.

Each night they stopped playing by 7.30 pm to keep noise down. They played football with a plastic ball that could not damage anything and they made sure not to hit it anywhere near another van also. They also played frisby with a sponge frisby.

Almost every other van owner within the vicinity regularly looked at the children harshly anf two of them even approached the children, oldets being 9, telling them to behave when they were simply having fun but not being noisy or unreasonable. I noted that no adult approached any of us parents !

Even the warden mentioned twice to the kids to watch the ball, just in passing, although he did so with a smile at least.

One lady watched from her van for an hour as they played and when the ball went near her van ( as I said it was so light it could not harm it , We left the heavy ball stored away )she barked at them to go away.

It seems to me to be the most unwelcoming feature of having a caravan. This is my first year. The majority of adults seem consumed with the need to mark out their territory, erect big screens to block the world out and then sit in their pristine van snearing at the world.

I know some children and parents do not behave well ( at least I say that from what I have read here, I am yet to see it for myself ). I know children need to respect adults and that equipment is expensive but can we not all try a bit harder when it comes to making families feel welcome.

There are some who will argue against what I am saying although I do bnot know how they can do so. If some adults just do not want children near them can they not go to adult only sites. I understand there are some.

I will keep teaching my children to be respectful but as they grow older it may be more difficult for them to follow if all they see are adults failing to respect them.

Please help and try and change this growing trend. Let's make caravaning family friendly again. Let's make sure it retians or regains those traditional family values that attracted so many people to it in the first place.

Please help

May 31, 2007
Visit site
I'm shocked, I can't believe you let your children out, don't you realise they should be kept confined securely indoors, reading books on the benefits of corporal punishment. You do know that children can devalue a new caravan merely by looking at it.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Philip

If it was a CC site ?? No Ball Games means No Ball Games.

You know the ball is relatively light did others around know this ?? Did you ask them why they objected ???

Sorry your comment " to block the world out and then sit in their pristine van snearing at the world ". let down the whole tone of your argument. You looking for a row ?? you sure know how to post to get one.

It is easy to stop a growing trend Don't Have Balls near to Caravans

Frank

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Philip,

Did you not know that the Caravan Club have implemented a rule that does not allow playing of ball games except in the designated areas.

This was probably why you were getting frosty looks.

Expect a long thread on this one, as it has been discussed many times as you have allready seen.

I am going to hide in the background on this one. No comments (I am a 31 year old bloke who is married with one son of 18 months, but still no comment)

Happy Wednesday :)

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Philip,

Did you not know that the Caravan Club have implemented a rule that does not allow playing of ball games except in the designated areas.

This was probably why you were getting frosty looks.

Expect a long thread on this one, as it has been discussed many times as you have allready seen.

I am going to hide in the background on this one. No comments (I am a 31 year old bloke who is married with one son of 18 months, but still no comment)

Happy Wednesday :)
See ... told ya, here they come !!!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Even as a parent, I'd forgotten about the 'no ball games rule'. If you didn't know about this rule then the warden should have made you aware of it. I think that is definately why you got some frosty looks.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Philip,

I just hope that you not opened a can of worms,Just came back from a newly aquired CC site near a anglian resovior, family oposite us where playing with a sponge football, which did not give us any cause for concern, Its a funny rule unless the wardens constantly walk around the site how can the rule be fully implemented.

They also have a rule that states no dogs should foul the site, even have notices everywhere, on every site i have been on some owners seem to completly ignore the rule and allow there dogs to fowl, probaly the same people who moan about children

May 4, 2005
Visit site
It does say the kids were on a large piece of open field ,maybe it was the right area. I've heard people moan about kids playing IN the play area at Sandringham. What do they expect when they pitch next to it?

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Frank on this one...... The original post is just an attempt at stirring up trouble on the forum.

When booking into a CC site members should be aware of the rules, if you find you cannot comply to these why use the site or remain members of the club? Unfortunately there are always those that don't think rules apply to them!

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
I don't think it's an attempt to stir up trouble at all. For all you know, Philip could be a new member who hasn't seen or read the previous threads.

Philip makes a valid point and as the father of a 2 year old, I agree with him.

Martin.

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Spent years telling our three that they only play such games in the approved play areas.

If the "large piece of open field" was an approved play area fine, if it was part of the camping field that is another matter.

Oct 3, 2007
Visit site
Just to clarify, I can assure you all I am not looking to stir up any trouble. Quite the opposite in fact. I am looking to avoid it in future.

I confess I did not know of no ball games rule but the ball game was in a large field on perimter of the site.

I also take the point about the pristine vans but do not thinkit detracts at all. It merely highlights the general impression I got that others place too much value on their posessions and not enough on people. Fair enough if their things were at risk of being harmed, but when there was no danger at all surely people can relax a bit.

I know this issue has been raised a lot but I said at first, it is a plea for help. I don't want my kids to get fed up of going away becuase of the attitude of other adults. I want them to enjoy being outside, seeing parts of the country never visited. So many kids just sit in front of an X box or Nintendo these days that a caravan is a precious means of showing them more to life. I also want it to show them how people can live together and get on !!

As I said, it is a plea and I know not all will embrace it.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
"Ban all kids from caravan sites all together"

Unfortunately people with kids do not have the luxury of "family only" sites There is however the choice of "Adult only" sites for those who feel that strongly about it , which I am sure is a VERY small minority

Brian

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
We work hard for our possesions and to dimiss concerns for cars and caravans that are costly to repair is a little crass.

I would not want my boys to bang "safe" plastic balls in to my car or caravan any more than anyone elses children.

I'd probably throw my coffee or beer over me and the upholstery if they did!

Near caravans is not the place for any ball, flying or throwing games however safe the toy may be.

Family people would soon whine if most sites were adult only, so choose the correct time and place and all should be happy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with the general consensus of opinion here.

Firstly, if you go to ANY site, then obey the rules of that site. If you don't, you really can't moan if people kick up a fuss about it. Secondly, accept that not everybody likes children, or dogs, or noise, no matter how much you might be tolerant towards it.

As said. NO BALL GAMES means just that. If you don't like it, then go to another site. We are NOT members of the CC. We find their attitude far too stuffy for our liking.

From a personal point of view we've had far more holidays ruined by inconsiderate (usually booze fuelled) noisy adults, than we've ever had from children, but that said, we go away to chill out after working hard, and if I'm bluntly honest, I would prefer to hear the sound of the country to that of children kicking balls around. That's why WE always go to Adult Only sites these days. It solves the problem.

Finally, accept that when balls get kicked around, they CAN cause damage, and caravans these days are easily dented, no matter what you think, and VERY expensive to have repaired. With the cost of some caravans exceeding

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Once again I find myself amazed that of all the kids who break site rules (which are there for everyone, and are usually for the common good) none are actually the offspring of any posters on this or any other site. They must creep out of the undergrowth when the caravans arrive.

As for the adults who dont like a particular site rule, do the sensible thing for yourself and everyone else, spend your money on a site where they let you do what you want.

Oct 3, 2007
Visit site
I will endeavour to end my plea on the comments of Angus. Not everyone thinks that people come first but a good number on this thread do so I am happy to stop now before my genuine attempts to do some good lead in the opposite direction.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
don't think it's an attempt to stir up trouble at all. For all you know, Philip could be a new member who hasn't seen or read the previous threads.

Philip makes a valid point and as the father of a 2 year old, I agree with him.

Martin.

And which valid point would that be then Martin ????

Frank

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Places tin hat on and gets ready to run and hide.The original post says that they were in a large open area (not a quote)however it did not say it was a CC site so it is possible the site did not have a no ball game rule for him and his children to abide by.I can see both sides of the argument in that children have to play somwhere and these appear to well mannered and 'controlled' on the other side of the equation I suppose even a soft ball or sponge frisby could scratch a car or van.However maybe a little tolerance is called for and nearby people were concerned a quiet word with the prents if approached in the right way will usually solve the potential problem.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reminds me of the time the balls from a neighbour's kids used to fly over our garden fence. Does get on your nerves a bit.

A very expensive cricket ball landed in our garden and unfortunately Daisy (mad dog) ate most of it. Strangely enough, no balls ever entered our garden ever again.

Lisa

May 22, 2006
Visit site
I work in a vehicle bodyshop and the marks plastic balls can leave in car paintwork sometimes cannot be polished out. I sure would be annoyed if a ball was kicked against my car/caravan, as far as I`m concerned I`ve worked hard all my life for my things so I have a right to be annoyed if someone damages any of them

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Looking at a few on-line booking systems, most of them seem to remark that the site is "Ideal for families" or "Adults only" therefore if you want to go away and not see kids book an "Adult site" if you go away on sites marked up as "Ideal for Families" then except to see little ones around the place and if you have any concerns speak to the parents, often a quiet word goes a long way.

As a father of two I brought my caravan to spend quality time as a family, showing our children the county that they live in, rather than just being the X-box generation, I want my kids to know about things and have interests other than the TV and the PC whilst feeding on McD's and crisps etc. and to meet other children from different parts of the country.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts