Classic tow car

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
I'm looking to buy a classic car, a Rover 3500 P6, can anyone advise me if this will be a good towcar and is it a good idea to subject a 30 odd year old car to the rigours of towing a modern caravan. Although it will be within the 85% rule, am I liable to be asking to much as regards reliability from a car that is all told an old age pensioner.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'd set about 75% as my limit for a classic car. From my own experiences of driving back then, engine cooling was a much bigger problem than today, even without a caravan in tow. This would apply in particular to today's motorway speeds. I don't know specifically how the Rover 3500 performs in this respect but I wouldn't take the risk of imposing too high a load. Also, the brakes of the day were nowhere nearly as effective as modern designs where virtually every car is fitted with ABS. My advice would be to take it easy and not to ask too much from a classic car that is dear to one's heart.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A classic car (and I am a fan) surely needs a classic van on the back!:)

I would also ensure the structure of the car is good for towing, is the car an original, or has it been restored and if so when and how much was actually restored. You only need to watch (on TV tonight home and leisure 9pm) an MG is born to realise the hidden horrors under the shinny bodywork that can end up the nightmare of any one buying a classic car. My MG was proudly shown to my Dad the day I bought it, he pointed out there was petrol pouring out of the tank (I filled it up on the way round). On inspection the next day I found the entire top of the petrol tank had rusted away, so I had an empty bowl sitting under my boot lid! The car was then off the road for 3 years while I rebuilt it! You also need to be careful that any towing points for a towbar are solid metal and rust free, and of course don't assume if the car already has a towbar that the points are OK. Other than that goodluck, nice choice of car but you cannot beat the V8 Stag! (even if they do have an insy winsy problem with overheating) ;-(

Lutz, presume the older vans would be well matched (same year as the car ..ish) just curios to know really?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've been involved with clasic cars for many years. I used to tow (occasionally) a 1992 Elddis Hurricane behind a fully restored 1968 Triumph 2000. Even though the car was effectively brand new (it cost over

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Classic car and classic van. Quite right.

At a recent Eriba Fest, an engineer from one of the UK based F1 teams turned up with his concours condition 1967 VW 1500 Notchback and 1967 Eriba Pan (about a 40% - 50% match). No problems towing.

It's a shame this board doesn't allow even a single photo to be posted.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
sounds nice! Yes it is a shame about the photo's. I know you can get free accounts where you can publish photo's on line and of course can then post a link. It's long winded but works on other forums (it is used a lot on my drummers forum so that people can drool over other peoples drum kits)! And of course any classic car forum as well for the same drool factor, perhaps caravans just don't make people drool!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Great car - always loved the P6 - just come back from droping a car off for a minor repair and there in the workshop was an original Ford Capri - the one that was derived from the saloon with an "Ford Anglia" type rear window. Beautifully restored - a real pleasure to look at. A British car that looked good with rear "fins".

I am having a senior moment here as I cannot remember what the name of the saloon version was? Ford made a lot of them but not many of the coupe version that was the first Capri.

The 3.5L engine will pull most things and spares are cheap and plentiful. Have a look at Rimmer Bros website www.rimmerbros.co.uk - I have found these guys very helpful tho' I notice they mention the SD1 a lot but not the P6.

Worth a try tho'.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Clive, you are referring to the Consul Classic, originally called the Consul 315, later only by that name for export. And the Capri was also correctly called the Consul Capri.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks Lutz - For some reason my head kept comming up with the Corsair but I new that was not it.

This Consul Capri is a beaut. Its red and cream and actually does not look "restorred" it has been done so well.

My son (19) had never seen one before and said it looked like an aircraft cockpit canopy. Good description I thought.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, the Consul Classic had the 105E Anglia type rear window and was available as a two door or four door. The Consul Capri shared the same two door body, but was a coupe and was actually styled on the 1960 Chevrolet Impala (that happens to sit in my garage....). The Consul 375 was the base model mark two Ford (the others being Zephyr & Zodiac) and was completely different to the Consul Classic 315. The Consul Classic, Consul Capri and the Corsair shared the Cortina floor pan.

Anorak on and fully zipped up........

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Gary - obviously another addict!

Do you ever get down to the autojumble at Beaulieu?

They have a car auction as well. A great day out though my garage is full of bits.

I still have the "Anglia" badge from my 1200 that had wide wheels and a ridiculously small aftermarket steering wheel. I de-badged it - presumably so people wouldn't recognise it!!

They don't make badges like that any more.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Used to go to Beulieau regularly when I had classic British cars (Triumph 2000, Stag, TR4, Austin Somerset etc) but since I've been into American Classic cars I haven't bothered as there is very little their to suit AMerican cars. I must admit, I used to enjoy "window shopping" with the cars that were for sale!!!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The 120E Corsair (the one before the V4 engine) was my second car. My first was an HA Vauxhall Viva. Now that almost gives away my age.

By the way, the Consul Capri was also known as the Consul 335 in some markets.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gary - I first went (to Beaulieu) when we had a GT6 - I loved it! especially when MGB drivers thought it was a Spitfire - that straight 6 just pulled away easily. I came unstuck with a MGC once tho' especially as neither of us could corner that well - him with the massive engine weight and me with that awful rear suspension. Frightened us both to death.

Always wanted a Stag. A friend had one which he put a 2.5L Triumph striaght 6 in when he rebuilt the original V8 - which incidently with modern oils and a few simple modifications has proved totally reliable - The straight six made it a surprizingly nice drive. We all thought it would be a bit gutless but driven with sympathy it was a really good mix.

Whats more it bolted straight in with the correct engine mounts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
aahhhhh the triumph stag, my favourite! Hope you guys are watching an MG is Born....and of course American Hotrods is a pretty good series too, mind you not sure how they ever get the cars built, I am sure it is edited to catch the bad bits only!

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys, I now know some things to check for when purchasing one. The other thing I didn't think about is where to get a towbar for one :-( , I assume, hopefully, it won't be to difficult or expensive.

A claasic van would be very nice on the back to match the car and be a real head turner, but the other half put her foot down and said if I did that i'd be going on my own (thats one to consider :)) as she likes her modern comforts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts