Defective caravans

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
We are all reading about defective caravans and the lack of interest shown by dealers and manufacturers, we have a good dealer who tries very hard (chichester caravans @ southbourne) and they deserve a pat on the back.

Surely the problem lies with the manufacturers whos quality control has lowered recently and they leave it to the poor old dealer to sort out, my guess is the dealer is paid very poorly to sort out warrantee work. Why dont the manufacturers stop trying to update every year and put their efforts in better quality and customer service.

What can those of us with bad vans do about it? any ideas anyone. Does anyone know a good legal company used to dealing in these matters or would it be better if we all turned up at major shows and shame the manufacturers in front of perspective new customers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Love your idea of turning up at the shows and shaming the manufacturers into doing something about their attitude. I wonder what the reaction would be if you stood in front of the Swift/Bailey/Abbey stand wearing a sandwich board saying 'BEWARE - My Bailey leaks and the manufacturer doesn't want to know.'

Unfortunately though, the exhibitors at the shows are normally the dealers and not the manufacturers so perhaps even this would not get the message completely home.

With long waiting lists for new vans, the makers are having it all their own way at the moment and I think they are now getting too complacent. But I am old enough to remember the British motorbike industry and all of us can remember when Britain had a thriving motor industry. With so many good reports coming out about the German caravan makers I wonder how long it will be before the same happens to the caravan industry.

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly with what has been said in both posts but can't help feeling the supply and demand position will win-out until better and/or cheaper imports increase. I agree that the dealers have to pick up the pieces of shoddy manufacturers but they too often also offer poor service. Although I think the british caravan industry is great, I would be happy to use my money elsewhere if the quality is right. The british manufacturers could keep up if they reacted to any shift in peoples buying habits in the right way and promptly. How do the German 'vans fair generally in terms of quality and damp robustness ? views ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have owned a Knaus Eurostar since 1994 without any leaks and the only fault has been the seals on the Thetford cassette loo.

I also have had a Fendt Platin since early 2001, no leaks, no faults except for the retaining clip that holds the door open that broke when the wind slammed it back.

I am at present awaiting a new Hobby.

My last British van, a Swift Corniche, suffered from water ingress and the floor cabinets and loo wall broke away from the caravan walls, not to mention taps & microswitches etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly with what has been said in both posts but can't help feeling the supply and demand position will win-out until better and/or cheaper imports increase. I agree that the dealers have to pick up the pieces of shoddy manufacturers but they too often also offer poor service. Although I think the british caravan industry is great, I would be happy to use my money elsewhere if the quality is right. The british manufacturers could keep up if they reacted to any shift in peoples buying habits in the right way and promptly. How do the German 'vans fair generally in terms of quality and damp robustness ? views ?
I have had a Hymer caravan for the past five years and have no reason to change. when I had British caravans I felt compelled to change every two to three years. I got fed up with the poor quality. Water egress, floor delamination fittings coming apart, electrical work not complying with regulations, the list just goes on and on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts