detachable towbars

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
Would anyone recommend a detachable towbar for an espace, looking at fitting a towbar and wondered if there were any advantages compared to the standard type

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The biggest practical advantage of a detachable towbar is that you can't bruise your shins or get them dirty when loading the car if the towbar is removed. If you've ever hurt yourself this way it's an advantage that's not to be underestimated.

Some vehicles with a rear park assist feature need a detachable towbar to prevent a continuous false alarm.

And, of course, a detachable towbar looks better when driving solo.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It depends how clumsy you are and how much you dislike the appearance of the standard bar or if you in fact have rear sensors that are a problem.

BUT Witter quote

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Agree with Lutz, and there are the additional advantages that:

When you remove the detachable tow ball, the electrics swing up behind the bumper and out of the way of spray and dirt - I've never had any electrical problems with a detachable tow ball.

Here in Holland people use either a swan neck tow-ball or a detachable tow-ball, both are thief resistant. But the bolted-on UK tow ball is quite easy to undo with two spanners - so why bother with a hitch lock?

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hitch locks are usually used when unhitched so the ball fitting has no bearing unless you use it hitched up and leave the outfit unattended which I personally only do on a ferry.

I also never tow with a hitch lock as it would hamper emergency services.

It also hampers thieves when the van is parked and satisfies the demands of most insurance companies.

G

There have been instances of recall on certain types of detachable bars, but these were a year or so ago, and have all been modified. I think the main issue is ensuring it is correctly locked and most now have an indicator to confirm this. Cleanliness will also go along way to making it as safe as possible. The strength of the securing 'pin' is probably similar to that of the 2 mounting bolts on the normal towbars, so not much of a difference there. With the permanent swan neck, yes, but it too is welded somewhere so you takes yur choice.

I am looking to fit a tow bar to my new (at least to me) Volvo and although the Volvo one is expensive, I am of a mind to bite the bullet and just get the detacheable one.

TRENDING THREADS