disabled parking

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having returned from hols to an empty fridge, we went to Tesco this afternoon. As Herself is now in a wheel chair, wer need the wide bays to get her in and out of the car, so use disaabled bays. There were none left when we arrived, but we coped with an end of the line bay. As we passed the disabled bays, three young girls got into a car in the disabled section. I remonstrated with them, and they had the good grace to apologise. when we came out of the store, I pointed out to two others, one a man of around 35, the other again a young girl. One threatened to disable me, and the girl told me to get f****d.

Question: what do others do in such circumstances?

NB, I know that there are disabled people who abuse their priveleges too, but for the purposes of this argument, can we disregard them?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I know someone who never pays for parking. Wherever she goes she uses her mothers badge even though her mther doesn't even live with her. Until the authorities clamp down on it and the photo of the disabled person is shown nobody will care. Regarding places like Tesco what can they do apart from clamp them. It's totally wrong emmo and those morons should be made to pay for their dont care less attitude.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On friday last I too remonstrated a woman for using the disabled parking at our local Tesco. She drew my attention firstly by driving through a no entry then straight into the disabled parking, I watched and thought I would mind betting she does not have a blue badge, sure enough out she pops and straight towards the store with a young boy in tow. I challenged her but she simply asked me what business it was of mine!!

I reckon she pulled this stunt on a regular basis, some parental guidance for her son.

Incidentally I have a blue badge in my car in the name of my youngest daughter, this is only used when she is with us.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi emmerson

Sorry to hear what happened. Non disabled people parking in disabled bays is really disgusting, these people are the lowest of the low.

I suppose its easier if you spot one as you go into the store, then you can go to customer services and they usually put a tannoy out. At our local Asda, they are hyper about that. Although that doesn't help you when you are looking for a space.

I think that if non badge holders park in disabled bays, they should receive a parking ticket

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm glad someone else agrees with me. I was beginning to think I was turning into a grumpy old man! Lisa, was Gaylord's greeting a picture? All I got was a little red cross in a box!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Nothing but pond scum! Our local Asda has a system of a barrier that recognises the number plates of disabled people, (obviously you have to register with them first). Seems like a good scheme and it keeps the undesirables out. I think they should clamp non disabled people in disabled spaces as remonstrating has no effect at all.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

I am sorry to say this but I see it from a different angle, why should someone have a right to park right next to the store. just because they have a badge??

we all know and have seen them park and walk in unaided and come out carrying heavy bags back to the car if thats disabled I am a monkeys uncle.

yet someone who is genuinely disabled all be it temporally

ie a knee injury has to struggle from the other end of the car park.

just because they dont have a badge???

now thats is an injustice isn't it.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Colin,

You know as well as me that there will always be some one to abuse the system no matter what, drive at 80 on the motorway, disable the tacho & limiter, shop lift etc. then there are the genuine who obay the rules.

Graham W.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
So that makes it O.K. for anyone to park in a disabled space then colin? A free for all. Let the old fogies walk from the far end of the car park while our ignorant youth of today only have to make a few steps. That probably answers why a lot of the youngsters of today are going the American way, junk food and the size of elephants from no exercise. Oh I forgot, a lot lack manners and respect for their elders also hence emmersons replies :O)

If I had my way people who spoke to emmerson like that would be put in a Penal Regiment, like the Germans had, and sent to Iraq as cannon fodder :O)

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
I thought the marked bays in supermarket car parks where a gesture not a law (I might be wrong)

I normally park in the furthest corner n walk

saves getting dents in doors from trolleys and kids flinging doors open

Rita

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I like to park in the farthest corner for the same reasons, but why is it when I come back to my car it is always surounded by other cars. Perhaps they fancy mine, or is it the hearding syndrome.

Graham W.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
If when i am Duty managers someone reports a car parked without a badge i call them over the Tanoy and get them to move.If however they refuse and become rude and abusive, I simply ban them! However i often get called to the parent and child parking bays as the blue badge holders seem to think if all the disabled bays are full, then it gives them the god given right to park in the parent and child parking. One of my regular customers has a 3 year old and 18month old twins - who is the more disabled i might ask. No offence LB, but some of those old foegys are more spritely than the youngsters and the oldest shop lifter i have had was 81 and that was for a leg of lamb and a bottle of wiskey. When caught she offered to pay for the items and when she opened her purse had more than

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
I have no issue with the disabled bays being close to the store and the blue badge system should be enforced everywhere there is disabled parking.

It is the blue badge system that needs to be properly controlled and there should be far more restrictions on where the disabled badge holders can park. In every town we see people that 'appear to be' able bodied jump out of their cars and trot off round town for 2 or 3 hours.

Now if they can do that then they can certainly use a car park. Also, where I live disabled badge holders can use the car parks for free (3 hours) whilst the rest of us have to pay

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Some blue badge holders can get free road tax...I think it is instead of a mobility car....but that car can/should only be used for or on behalf of the person who holds the badge so you will/can see people with no disability abusing the system, I think the fine is hefty but then someone has to police the system for it to work. A guy I work with has the free tax bit for his son but he drives his car everywhere and has done for 20 years and has never been asked what he is doing and who for.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
No offence taken Diane but have you stopped to think why some of those old fogies are fitter than the youngsters, just look at the obesity of them .... junk food and play station springs to mind. I was parked in the next bay to the mother & child bays one day when a car with a woman and child pulled up in front of me. She gave me the filthiest look and shook her head then drove off. I watched her park then went and asked her if she had a problem. Yes she said, with people like you taking up OUR spaces. I then asked her to come and point out where it said I was in a mother & child space which she refused to do but continued arguing. I then informed her that I had actually got my grandchildren with me but they were with my wife who hadn't arrived back yet. This made no difference and now she was losing the plot and getting really nasty, probably her bravado being bolstered by a male friend who had arrived. I could see I was getting nowhere with her so I told her the walk would do her good and get some of the fat off her.

BTW Diane, what did an 81 year old shop lifter have to do with disabled bays, did they have a getaway car there with its engine revving ready :O)

How many times do you see mothers who have *Child on Board* stickers park in child bays but don't have any kids with them? How many times do you see them park and out get grown up kids?

I've seen groups of students park in both kinds of bay. We simply live in a selfish society where respect to others has gone. Manners are in a steep decline and it's a free for all. I suppose this is the price we have to pay for living in a multi-cultural society where their customs and practices are absorbed into our society and their customs and practices usually mean it's the survival of the fittest.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
I swore I wouldn't join in again but, Quote " I am sorry to say this but I see it from a different angle, why should someone have a right to park right next to the store. just because they have a badge??

we all know and have seen them park and walk in unaided and come out carrying heavy bags back to the car if thats disabled I am a monkeys uncle.

Because the Badge has the words DISABLED on it !!!

2nd para Exceptional rather than the rule IMHO

Last line did I see your relatives at Longleat during the summer ???

Frank

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
To be fair the term 'disabled' covers a multitude of complaints. My ex-husband is 'disabled' by MS - sometimes his walking appears normal, sometimes he can only walk a few steps. I have a friend who is considerably disabled by epilepsy - she has a blue badge, and her son drives her around. When she has no fits she appears fit and well, when episodes arise she can collapse suddenly without warning and the fits can continue over a long period of time. My mother has a blue badge because of COPD and has to use a wheelchair. If someone has a blue badge please don't judge them if they appear fit and well, but if no blue badge is displayed action should be taken against the offender.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
With regards to the supermarkets, it would be so easy for them to clamp the idle tossers cars who use the disabled slots when they shouldn`t, but the supermarkets, for all their `caring` bluster don`t actually give a stuff as long as people spend money there.

If they were to clamp the cars belonging to these dregs of what we laughingly `society`, they would go somewhere else, and we couldn`t have that could we?

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

I don't know why some people seem to think that disability is age related .... i.e the term "old fogies" lol.

I have been registered disabled since 2004 but am 52 yrs old.

I have a blue Disabled Badge and I park in the allocated spaces. The reason I use these spaces is NOT because they are close to a store entrance but because they allow extra room so that I can fully open my car door.

Without being able to do this I find it painful and physically very difficult getting in and out of the car.

I do not park on yellow lines and have no objection paying to use a car park.

As for the disabled spaces in store car parks:

This is private land and as such the store can allocate spaces in whichever way they feel appropriate.

As for the legal issue ........ a store can simple issue a Civil Enforcement Notice and levy a penalty for breach of the rules

BUT

it seems that most stores do not have the will to do so.

Inconsiderate muppets that park in disabled bays, mother and child bays etc probably wont change their habits unless they are hit in their pocket.

Steve

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Hello all

I dont use the disabled parking spaces as i don't want to tempt fate. All the people that do park there and are not disabled would be the first to moan if something did happen to them in later life and they needed to park in the spacves provided for disabled use.

The parent and child spaces, I have two children on aged 13 and one aged 7, I don't use these spaces I leave them for people with younger children. Is there an age gonerning when you can or can't use the child spaces. Or can I take my mum shopping and use the parent and child spaces :~0

Will

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I did say in my original post that there are disabled people who abuse the system, but for the purposes of this discussion, that they be ignored. Colin, the spaces are allocated near the store or town centre, mall entrance or wherever not because people have blue badges, but because they are DISABLED. In our case, my wife can only walk a few paces with a crutch, so needs a wheelchair. The disabled bays, as has been pointed out, are wider than standard to enable us to get the door wide open, and to get a wheelchair alongside the car.There are many differing degrees of disablement, but all are entitled to the blue badge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts