Dogging !

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Thought that might get your attention.

I am new to caravanning and have a seasonal pitch in Abersoch. I was reading some of the comments about seasonal v touring pitches and it struck me that there are too many people wishing to ram their opinion down other peoples throats. You know the type "if you don't do things the same way I do" then.......your wrong.

I thought caravanning was supposed to be a relaxing past time full of cameraderie.

Some people need to get a life.

Any follow up comments gratefully received.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Neil

I am in agreement with you. You can never keep everyone happy all the time. If you wish to use a seasonal pitch, why not. Some people are not happy 'pulling a shell' along behind them, whilst others are not in a position to do so, due to illness, etc. I hope you don't get the usual back lash but I suspect you will. Live and let live is what I say.

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
you are right about the likely backlash but I bought a seasonal pitch for a reason. My mother in law has a really bad time with her lungs breathing. She also is on her own since last year and apart from me, the wife and the kids using it every weekend she can stay there the whole summer if she wishes.

The site has only eight seasonal pitches as well as loads of touring and a camping field as well.

Am I bothered if the "you must tour around and stay nowhere for more than one night to be a proper caravanner" don't think that is proper caravanning then so what.

We get a great place to go every weekend, the kids get to make new friends and see them regularly and the mother in Law gets a better quality of life........now surely nobody could have an issue with that !!! Or could they?

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Neil

I absolutely love touring,but in the winter was a bit less enthusiastic about getting the van out ! we discussed a seasonal pitch nearby so at least we could finish fri and whizz up for a break,I really dont see the problem,as the sites are getting revenue that they wouldnt necessarily get otherwise! Neil do what you want ,if people can get so involved in what you do with your life then they obviously have;nt got one of their own!!! enjoy and all the best to M-I-L

Tina x

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I've never had any personal opinions on the matter but having just been to a site where there are seasonal vans it was a bit of an eye opener. The 2 vans near me were unoccupied but lying around or stacked up at the back of the vans were all kinds of accoutrements, from white plastic garden fencing, locked large plastic storage boxes, trampolines, lumps of wood etc. It reminded me of Steptoes junkyard. One of the vans was quite clean but the other hadn't seen a brush for probably 5 years. I don't know if this is normal practice.

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi Neil

I absolutely love touring,but in the winter was a bit less enthusiastic about getting the van out ! we discussed a seasonal pitch nearby so at least we could finish fri and whizz up for a break,I really dont see the problem,as the sites are getting revenue that they wouldnt necessarily get otherwise! Neil do what you want ,if people can get so involved in what you do with your life then they obviously have;nt got one of their own!!! enjoy and all the best to M-I-L

Tina x
Hi Neil

dont want to rock the boat and to be honest I believe in your live and let live philosophy. I dont inherently disagree with your right to want a seasonal pitch and to express your opinion about the seasonal / non-seasonal debate, but that is exactly what it is, a debate. This would be a particularly boring forum if everybody agreed with everybody else. Just because somebody presents an argument that you dont agree with dosent mean that they are ramming it down you throat. You are at liberty to disagree.

With regard to the seasonal / non-seasonal debate, I have agreement with both sides, as with many things in life there is no black or white. Some will say that the use of seasonal pitches is reducing the number of pitches available for tourers. I think this is probably true, however isnt a perfect world and sometimes people will have valid reasons for wanting seasonal pitches, it is not for me to tell you that you cant do that. Most of us would probably agree that using a big 4 x 4 for runs of only a couple of miles a day is overkill, however in some circumstances their use is essential. The point I am trying to make is that we shouldnt judge peoples needs by a single set of circumstances.

Bit of a ramble I know, but thats my opinion.

John

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi Neil

dont want to rock the boat and to be honest I believe in your live and let live philosophy. I dont inherently disagree with your right to want a seasonal pitch and to express your opinion about the seasonal / non-seasonal debate, but that is exactly what it is, a debate. This would be a particularly boring forum if everybody agreed with everybody else. Just because somebody presents an argument that you dont agree with dosent mean that they are ramming it down you throat. You are at liberty to disagree.

With regard to the seasonal / non-seasonal debate, I have agreement with both sides, as with many things in life there is no black or white. Some will say that the use of seasonal pitches is reducing the number of pitches available for tourers. I think this is probably true, however isnt a perfect world and sometimes people will have valid reasons for wanting seasonal pitches, it is not for me to tell you that you cant do that. Most of us would probably agree that using a big 4 x 4 for runs of only a couple of miles a day is overkill, however in some circumstances their use is essential. The point I am trying to make is that we shouldnt judge peoples needs by a single set of circumstances.

Bit of a ramble I know, but thats my opinion.

John

G

Tend to agree with LB. Went to Cornwall last year and saw several specimens on CC sites. You could tell as they were the ones with 2 feet of grass around the edge of the van. I also agree that when not occupied, junk was stacked everywhere.

I am sorry but I feel this is the start of the slippery slope to statics on touring sites. I am all for people having statics if they feel it is appropriate, but let us keep the 2 parties apart. Sooner or later it will be plastic gnomes and fencing...yeuch!

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
What I don't like is when you 're on a site for a few days and the other 'vans around you are empty. One of the attractions to caravanning is meeting different people and sharing past experiences. In principal I have no beef with seasonal pitches, but maybe they shouldn't be among touring pitches?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
you are right about the likely backlash but I bought a seasonal pitch for a reason. My mother in law has a really bad time with her lungs breathing. She also is on her own since last year and apart from me, the wife and the kids using it every weekend she can stay there the whole summer if she wishes.

The site has only eight seasonal pitches as well as loads of touring and a camping field as well.

Am I bothered if the "you must tour around and stay nowhere for more than one night to be a proper caravanner" don't think that is proper caravanning then so what.

We get a great place to go every weekend, the kids get to make new friends and see them regularly and the mother in Law gets a better quality of life........now surely nobody could have an issue with that !!! Or could they?
I don't know where you have seen anyone say "you must tour around and stay nowhere for more than one night to be a proper caravanner" Neil, it's certainly new to me. Are you sure your not exaggerating slightly ;O)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts