Dometic fridge rip off

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Robert59

BANNED
May 18, 2023
Visit site
Bought a new Swift caravan in January. Had a Dometic fridge in it with apparently the full complement of shelves. The van was new, but a 2022 model. Perhaps this is a recent change?
Mel
As far as I’ve been told by the dealership it was a decision Elddis to save cash

Robert59

BANNED
May 18, 2023
Visit site
It may not be Dometic being tight but Elddis wanting cheaper fridges, caravan manufacturers can go from Thetford to Dometic or vice versa over a pound or two per unit difference in price.
Your exactly right Dometic has a option A or B regarding fridge shelves Elddis choose the cheapest option saving £30 per fridge that’s what the dealership told me
Anyway mate Elddis have reimbursed me for the cost of the shelves which is £167 including delivery. Only reason I’ve replied to you is you know what you’re talking about

Robert59

BANNED
May 18, 2023
Visit site
That is how Dometic supply that model of fridge to any buyer and not just Elddis! As said I belong to two Buccaneer groups on FB and people have checked with Dometic regarding the shelves and that is what they were told by Dometic and not Elddis or the dealer. However as you have inside knowledge on how Elddis operate I bow down to your superior knowledge. 😂😂
Nothing to do with superior knowledge the dealership told me Dometic have options A or B and Elddis choose the cheapest option with a fridge with fewer shelves
So tools like you don’t even know what you’re talking about

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Your exactly right Dometic has a option A or B regarding fridge shelves Elddis choose the cheapest option saving £30 per fridge that’s what the dealership told me
Anyway mate Elddis have reimbursed me for the cost of the shelves which is £167 including delivery. Only reason I’ve replied to you is you know what you’re talking about
Thank you

Just took delivery of a new Buccaneer and noticed some shelves missing from the fridge. I contacted the dealership and they told me this is the way Elddis is delivering them now but i can buy them as extra shelves , when did you ever buy a caravan then have to buy shelves for your fridge. According to the dealership Dometic the fridge manufacturer told Elddis if they want a fridge with all the shelves they have to pay extra. In all my years buying caravans i have never known a more deliberate and devious way to rip off their customers
As for Elddis customer service i can only describe as useless and patronising and this seems the new way forward for caravan manufacturers to leave parts out then charge you separately
Only Sympathize R59 as similar happened to me and I thought it was just us. Took delivery of similar van and same issue -supplied with 2 racks in main fridge 2 shelves in door, and no veg shelf or the clear one that goes over bottom veg box Effectively missing then 2 shelves in main unit definitely 1 potentially 2 in door and the typically glass or perspex shelf over the veg box. Wouldn't mind but the dealer never even mentioned there may be shelf shortages when we ordered. Just delivered to us and said thats how they come now? If I had know that I would have at least ordered the additional, but after you have spent nearly £35,000 on a van to have no shelves that cost then 40-60 each its a bit much. Think dealers know what they will get back so keep stum...Now looking on eBay for the ones I want

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Only Sympathize R59 as similar happened to me and I thought it was just us. Took delivery of similar van and same issue -supplied with 2 racks in main fridge 2 shelves in door, and no veg shelf or the clear one that goes over bottom veg box Effectively missing then 2 shelves in main unit definitely 1 potentially 2 in door and the typically glass or perspex shelf over the veg box. Wouldn't mind but the dealer never even mentioned there may be shelf shortages when we ordered. Just delivered to us and said thats how they come now? If I had know that I would have at least ordered the additional, but after you have spent nearly £35,000 on a van to have no shelves that cost then 40-60 each its a bit much. Think dealers know what they will get back so keep stum...Now looking on eBay for the ones I want
If the caravan you viewed before ordering had a full compliment of shelves, and any illustrations in the marketing materials also shows a full compliment, then unless there is a clear note in the brochure or it is mentioned by the selling dealer about the number of shelves in your caravan, then it is considered the description and examples you are shown constitutes what you should receive when you order.

Failure to supply the same number of shelves is therefore a clear breach of contract on the part of the dealer with whom you order from. You do not have a contract with the manufacturer. Read up about the Consumer Rights Act.

If the caravan you viewed before ordering had a full compliment of shelves, and any illustrations in the marketing materials also shows a full compliment, then unless there is a clear note in the brochure or it is mentioned by the selling dealer about the number of shelves in your caravan, then it is considered the description and examples you are shown constitutes what you should receive when you order.

Failure to supply the same number of shelves is therefore a clear breach of contract on the part of the dealer with whom you order from. You do not have a contract with the manufacturer. Read up about the Consumer Rights Act.
Yes would agree Prof J. However we ordered as probably most did who are receiving their caravans now, at the back end of Covid when dealerships had nothing more than a colour brochure as all models had been sold. I did check the brochure - Funny but the main pictures in brochure are not of the internal fridges or cookers mainly the layout and furnishings. I think the consensus discussion is why would anyone supply a fridge with minimal shelving. And if the dealers are aware that’s how manufacturers are going to reduce costs - just be upfront and suggest you might need to order additional shelving. As much as it’s a bit much, I now have to go order them myself or weigh up arguing the cost of the shelving with the dealer. 👍

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Problem is in the literature there is probably no mention of the number of shelves and highly unlikely that there would be a picture of the fridge internals. Even if there were extra shelves in the demo model that you viewed, proving it is nigh on impossible. Another aspect is at the moment sadly it is a case of take it or leave it! The consumer normally takes it as they have no choice and other manufacturers have the same issue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Problem is in the literature there is probably no mention of the number of shelves and highly unlikely that there would be a picture of the fridge internals. Even if there were extra shelves in the demo model that you viewed, proving it is nigh on impossible. Another aspect is at the moment sadly it is a case of take it or leave it! The consumer normally takes it as they have no choice and other manufacturers have the same issue.
It was the same with cars, although the supply is easing. My grandson had a new BMW 330 Touring PHEV which arrived minus the top spec sound system, and a few other features. Yet the price wasn’t reduced to reflect the omission. So BIK was the same. He had little choice but to accept it. In the end he didn’t like it and swopped for a 5 series PHEV that he bought himself as pre owned so he knew the spec.

Jul 15, 2023
Visit site
Just took delivery of a new Buccaneer and noticed some shelves missing from the fridge. I contacted the dealership and they told me this is the way Elddis is delivering them now but i can buy them as extra shelves , when did you ever buy a caravan then have to buy shelves for your fridge. According to the dealership Dometic the fridge manufacturer told Elddis if they want a fridge with all the shelves they have to pay extra. In all my years buying caravans i have never known a more deliberate and devious way to rip off their customers
As for Elddis customer service i can only describe as useless and patronising and this seems the new way forward for caravan manufacturers to leave parts out then charge you separately
We’ve just bought a Bessacarr 835 twin axle and realised the freezer shelf was missing, there was one in the previous model. I queried this as I genuinely thought they forgot to put it in. I was told it’s now an optional extra! So despite paying £50,000 for the van, they wanted £30 plus P&P for this shelf!!!
I used to be a sales manager for a refrigeration manufacturer and I know exactly the cost of these shelves and it’s a fraction of the £30 they are wanting 🤬🤬

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We’ve just bought a Bessacarr 835 twin axle and realised the freezer shelf was missing, there was one in the previous model. I queried this as I genuinely thought they forgot to put it in. I was told it’s now an optional extra! So despite paying £50,000 for the van, they wanted £30 plus P&P for this shelf!!!
I used to be a sales manager for a refrigeration manufacturer and I know exactly the cost of these shelves and it’s a fraction of the £30 they are wanting 🤬🤬
Sheer penny pinching which is an insult to the customer. What next Range Rover where only the drivers side has a sun visor? Surprised the dealer did not throw a shelf in gratis.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sheer penny pinching which is an insult to the customer. What next Range Rover where only the drivers side has a sun visor? Surprised the dealer did not throw a shelf in gratis.
If you notice the missing shelf, I would expect the dealer to throw it in to get the sale. If you say nothing neither will they.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree with what you are saying however I doubt very much if the shelf is only for that model of fridge as it would not make economic sense. Maybe a scrappy will have the shelf at a fraction of the price or another brand that is more common to domestic premises?

Just to add our 2018 Buccaneer came with the shelf in the freezer and also will 3 shelves for the fridge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts