eBay damp meters

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You get what you pay for.
They will give you a reading but whether that is accurate is another matter.
However, if you test it on a known piece of dry timber and note that reading, then use it in your van you will get an idea if you have damp.
Any reading up to 20% is "normal" for wood.

If you get high readings then it may be time to get an engineer to test it with his damp meter which will be calibrated and give an accurate reading.

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
While they may not be as accurate as the expensive ones, they can certainly point you in right direction. My previous caravan developed damp around the front window. It was only because I routinely tested around the windows with a £10 meter (as I had previous damp problems elsewhere), that I picked up a very significant leak on the caravan at an early stage. There were no other signs. Therefore, for the sake of a few quid I don't seen how you can go wrong with one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It dosen't matter how good or poor the meter is. if the wrong technique is used the results are meaningless. Most caravan wall use a board with a impervious vinyl covering. If the meter does not break the covering it WILL give a false reading.

The same covering can hide a multitude of sins so please be aware of it and how it might mislead.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Whilst not directly answering your question, I use a Stanley 077030 Moisture Meter which has a built-in calibration check and the pins necessary to pierce the vinyl wall covering in a caravan.

It may be possible to find one on eBay for £10 but I paid about twice that on Amazon.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
It may be possible to find one on eBay for £10 but I paid about twice that on Amazon.[/quote]

I agree, I bought a Brennenstuhl 1298680 just because I’d seen it used on a number of YouTube vids and I think referenced by others on here. About £18-£20 including postage Prongs definitely pierce and I believe it gives a reasonable indication.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I have an Ebay 4 prong type and checked it against the mobile engineers who inspected my van, pro jobbie meter and the difference was only 1% so they do the job for our purposes just fine.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WayneS said:
It may be possible to find one on eBay for £10 but I paid about twice that on Amazon.

I agree, I bought a Brennenstuhl 1298680 just because I’d seen it used on a number of YouTube vids and I think referenced by others on here. About £18-£20 including postage Prongs definitely pierce and I believe it gives a reasonable indication.[/quote]
I bought the same model six years ago.
The readings I get are within +/- 1% of my mobile engineers kit. Tested with him every year. Not a bad buy.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
WayneS said:

I agree, I bought a Brennenstuhl 1298680 just because I’d seen it used on a number of YouTube vids and I think referenced by others on here. About £18-£20 including postage Prongs definitely pierce and I believe it gives a reasonable indication.
I bought the same model six years ago.
The readings I get are within +/- 1% of my mobile engineers kit. Tested with him every year. Not a bad buy.[/quote]

I bought the same one as Dusty Dog, a very good bit of kit , good for checking the wood for your fire as well.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Hutch
I didn’t know you had a Truma Ultra Wood unit :p

Guess what I use to dampen down the fire at night???

d1.jpg

Jul 22, 2018
Visit site
Its all ready been tested 2 years ago so the vinyl has been pierced in various places .
I was thinking buy a 2 prong one and just test the same places

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Gunny said:
Its all ready been tested 2 years ago so the vinyl has been pierced in various places .

That's probably a good idea, the damp is normally a bit higher near the bathroom areas.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Gunny said:

That's probably a good idea, the damp is normally a bit higher near the bathroom areas.

in hutchs case thats when he misses the pott in the middle off the night :p

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
EH52ARH said:
Gunny said:

in hutchs case thats when he misses the pott in the middle off the night :p

Not quite Craig, thats where the dogs have their water bowl. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts