Electricity cost in UK

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wow excuse after excuse to justify wasting money on an EV. :ROFLMAO:
It is not an excuse, as is quite obvious that trying to obtain data along a common baseline for electricity or EV sales is not a trivial task. So given the number of EVs in UK, admittedly not many suitable to tow your caravan, why is it a waste of money? Or are you just intent on stoking up another extended thread that eventually has to be locked. There are two pre owned ones near to us, with sensible mileages at below £9k ,that quite frankly would make excellent second cars, or first cars too. for new drivers, or pensioners runabout.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is not an excuse, as is quite obvious that trying to obtain data along a common baseline for electricity or EV sales is not a trivial task. So given the number of EVs in UK, admittedly not many suitable to tow your caravan, why is it a waste of money? Or are you just intent on stoking up another extended thread that eventually has to be locked. There are two pre owned ones near to us, with sensible mileages at below £9k ,that quite frankly would make excellent second cars, or first cars too. for new drivers, or pensioners runabout.
Yep quiet correct as sick and tired of having the EVs nonsense dragged up on many threads when there is no necessity. Wanting the UK net zero by 2050 is for the delusional! If people want to discuss or brag about EVs, then they can start their own threads and I have no objection. EVs will probably be like dead ducks within the next 10 years the way technology is moving and may have no future, but if people want to waste money on them that is their choice. (y) :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It was reported yesterday UK electricity is now about 50pc more expensive than in Germany and France, and four times as expensive as in the US.
I wonder if this is having an adverse effect on EV sales?

Saudi have recently reduced oil prices which we are now enjoying at the pumps.

I am surprised at the cost disparity . I have no wish to reopen the EV debate please but am interested why the U.K. is out of sink on power prices? I think I know the answer, too much tinkering with methods of generation over the last 30 years! .??
Seems some have already forgotten your first post where you requested that you have no wish to reopen the EV debate.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Comparing costs of electricty in different countries doesn't really mean much. Income, disposable income and taxes also need to be compared.
It does in the U.K. especially when we are buying electricity from Europe at certain times and of course other power generating materials from USA.
Look at Germany.
Their “green” plans went to the wall with the Ukraine / Russia war. Sensibly to protect their energy consumption they reopened a number of coal fired power stations extending the planned closures to 2038.
The U.K. 2030 date should only be a target not an absolute insoluble must at all costs.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Seems some have already forgotten your first post where you requested that you have no wish to reopen the EV debate.
It was DDs #1 that mentioned not reopening the EV debate. Your quite disparaging post was insulting to the many owners of EVs who enjoy their vehicles, irrespective of what my views are on EVs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It does in the U.K. especially when we are buying electricity from Europe at certain times and of course other power generating materials from USA.
Look at Germany.
Their “green” plans went to the wall with the Ukraine / Russia war. Sensibly to protect their energy consumption they reopened a number of coal fired power stations extending the planned closures to 2038.
The U.K. 2030 date should only be a target not an absolute insoluble must at all costs.
Germany started the phase out of nuclear power in 2011 following Fukushima which pre emptied Ukraine by a decade.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Come on boys let’s put the knives away.

I started this thread on the genuine electricity cost debate started in a number of the U.K. newspapers and other Forums.

Now I am happy to start the EV debate again. Lovers and haters , clean and green . Once driven never smitten . Never tried you don’t know what you’ve missed.
Who wants a real good E.V debate with no animosity?😇😇😇

• Angry
Reactions: Sam Vimes and Hutch
Oct 11, 2023
Visit site
As stated before 2024 has not been a good solar year, however over the last 12 month period with our solar/battery set up £ 9,500 as regards electricity we are breaking as regard import and export including standing charges, at present we are for both gas and electric we are £690.44 in credit and pay £50 a month all in.

All the above includes charging up our Suzuki Across PHEV to date 1770 kWh
From my Octopus Watch APP my 12 month import usage.:

Agile £558.36
Go £743.35
Tracker £763.84
Flux £855.78
Standard £1025.90

Calculations inc VAT and standing charge or export

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I started this thread on the genuine electricity cost debate started in a number of the U.K. newspapers and other Forums.

Now I am happy to start the EV debate again. Lovers and haters , clean and green . Once driven never smitten . Never tried you don’t know what you’ve missed.
Just what would be being debated? It will no doubt come up again in the future. Be nice though if it dispensed with pointless disparaging comments of no substance.

Oct 11, 2023
Visit site

We are up for a EV debate we drive aPHEV not quite convinced we are ready for a full EV, the infrastructure and there high charging cost.

Reactions: Dustydog
Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
From my Octopus Watch APP my 12 month import usage.:

Agile £558.36
Go £743.35
Tracker £763.84
Flux £855.78
Standard £1025.90

Calculations inc VAT and standing charge or export
Slightly lower import here:
Agile £365
Would have been
£507 on flux
£609 on standard
This is about 1/3 of the electricity we actually use, 65% of our electric use comes from the sun either direct or via the battery.

Export not included that's an extra £410 in my pocket

Unit price in single figures tomorrow afternoon and lower on Sunday😎
My average unit price this year has been 9.5p
The joys of smart meters and time of use tarriffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tobes
Oct 11, 2023
Visit site
Slightly lower import here:
Agile £365
Would have been
£507 on flux
£609 on standard
This is about 1/3 of the electricity we actually use, 65% of our electric use comes from the sun either direct or via the battery.

Export not included that's an extra £410 in my pocket

Unit price in single figures tomorrow afternoon and lower on Sunday😎
The majority of our electric is also from our solar panels and battery, approximately 1766 kWh of our import accounts for our PHEV, we only use petrol when we are towing or on holiday. Our export is very similar.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just what would be being debated? It will no doubt come up again in the future. Be nice though if it dispensed with pointless disparaging comments of no substance.
That’s just it Clive. None of the comments made are with any substance. Just views which can be argued against,
I guess if it was so non disparaging it wouldn’t be discussed at all😉

Now a chap like you in white shorts will certainly be able to contribute to a new thread pointless or not , we will enjoy the differing views😉😎.
There is no I’m right in a discussion.That’s the fun on a Forum👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts