EV Towing

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Toyota are giving 15 year warranty on battery, but of course in that time there will be deterioration in charge capacity. But it’s relatively early days in the technology and I’m sure that businesses will be established to offer non OEM batteries whilst the original is recycled or refurbished if possible. Nissan does it in US.
Our 1996 Toyota Corolla which has done 120k is still going strong and touch wood will continue doing so for many more years without any major issues. We have replaced the battery twice.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our 1996 Toyota Corolla which has done 120k is still going strong and touch wood will continue doing so for many more years without any major issues. We have replaced the battery twice.
Your battery is a conventional lead acid starter battery. Bears no resemblance at all to a cars hybrid or full ev battery. You are muddying the waters.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Your battery is a conventional lead acid starter battery. Bears no resemblance at all to a cars hybrid or full ev battery. You are muddying the waters.

I am not muddying the waters as the thread deviated towards batteries. My post was more about the lifespan of an IC engine in comparison to changing the lithium batteries after 15 years at great expense and then the expense of recycling those expired batteries. The battery mentioned in my post was more about costs than lifespan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Battery discussion isn’t really a deviation as the batteries are just as much a part of the power train, as would be a discussion on the towing merits of diesel versus petrol, and auto versus manual. I acknowledge that at the end of life in a car EV batteries may have to be recycled, or perhaps they will be used for energy storage. But certainly there will be a cost for their end of life to recycle them. But don’t IC engines, gearboxes, exhausts, and catalysers, dpf etc also have a cost at the end of life?

Reactions: Tobes and ProfJohnL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Original tyres on my Santa Fe Hankook K115, managed 42k miles, second set Knokian Weather proof, 38k . I changed my front discs at 60k miles 2nd set of pads. At 86 k miles now Rear pads about 75 % worn and the same on the discs, I have a new set of discs and pads waiting to be fitted when I decide maybe after the summer towing.
Also I am no sloth ,in the SF. I choose tyres for grip not longevity. Present ones are Hankook k117, but I think the next might be Nexus all season.
It's not speed that wears out tyres and brakes prematurely, it's lack of anticipation causing heavy last-minute braking.

I'm expecting my original discs/pads to last to about 80,000 miles - but much of that mileage is on off-peak motorways where I can go 100s of miles without touching the brakes.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I am not muddying the waters as the thread deviated towards batteries. My post was more about the lifespan of an IC engine in comparison to changing the lithium batteries after 15 years at great expense and then the expense of recycling those expired batteries. The battery mentioned in my post was more about costs than lifespan.
Unless done under warranty, almost no-one replaces/rebuilds an IC engine these days - in the UK cars are scrapped at an average age of 14 years, due mainly to being uneconomical to repair - there's no evidence that EVs will need to be scrapped earlier or have significantly more batteries replaced out of warranty.

I'd be confident that by the time large numbers of EVs are scrapped, various recycling businesses will have grown up to deal with recycling the batteries.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Battery discussion isn’t really a deviation as the batteries are just as much a part of the power train, as would be a discussion on the towing merits of diesel versus petrol, and auto versus manual. I acknowledge that at the end of life in a car EV batteries may have to be recycled, or perhaps they will be used for energy storage. But certainly there will be a cost for their end of life to recycle them. But don’t IC engines, gearboxes, exhausts, and catalysers, dpf etc also have a cost at the end of life?

That is true however all the latter can be recycled easily. I am not sure how lithium batteries will be recycled en masse?

However as per the title of the thread at present EVs are not really suitable for towing for the majority although some are quite capable. Solo no issue if you are happy to put up with more stops for the same journey although this will probably only affect a minority of EV drivers

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That is true however all the latter can be recycled easily. I am not sure how lithium batteries will be recycled en masse?

However as per the title of the thread at present EVs are not really suitable for towing for the majority although some are quite capable. Solo no issue if you are happy to put up with more stops for the same journey although this will probably only affect a minority of EV drivers
I think more thought has probably been given to recycling EV batteries than was ever given to ICE parts which generally went to a polluting scrapyard. Where years ago I was happy to clamber up a couple of cars to retrieve the part required, before the car was burnt then just crushed.

Reactions: ProfJohnL and Tobes
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think a lot of ICE parts were recycled as consumers bought parts to keep their vehicles on the road. A scrap yard is an environmental eyesore, but I would think pollution is low due to them being strictly monitored?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It's not speed that wears out tyres and brakes prematurely, it's lack of anticipation causing heavy last-minute braking.

I'm expecting my original discs/pads to last to about 80,000 miles - but much of that mileage is on off-peak motorways where I can go 100s of miles without touching the brakes.
Talking to someone at tesco he owns a Vauxhall Mokka 71 plate using it for work he done 14,000 miles mostly on motorways and he said the front tyres he needs some new ones

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JJHr78Ksx0

Not wishing to impose a video on those who tell me it's "done to death already" ( but then can't resist to post in the topic!) I've found another which talks about supply and demand issues amongst other things.

I don't think anything "new" has been flagged up but frankly I do feel this guy is trying to be honest in what he says although, as always, some will find points to argue about - that's a given.

It seems to me that no harm will come from repeated discussions on an aspect of transportation we very likely we all will find in our lives at some time.

I've said my bit about personal views on towing with an EV and the implications for MY style of touring earlier in the thread.

I'm firmly into the camp that would never rely on public charging points to run my EV (which really sums up the concerns I raised).

Maybe someone on the forum who has no home charging can offer an opposing view? Whilst the outlay for an EV is considerable it would also be interesting to hear from someone who had "dug deep" to purchase one but has NO means of charging at a regular place - home or work.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JJHr78Ksx0

Not wishing to impose a video on those who tell me it's "done to death already" ( but then can't resist to post in the topic!) I've found another which talks about supply and demand issues amongst other things.

I don't think anything "new" has been flagged up but frankly I do feel this guy is trying to be honest in what he says although, as always, some will find points to argue about - that's a given.

It seems to me that no harm will come from repeated discussions on an aspect of transportation we very likely we all will find in our lives at some time.

I've said my bit about personal views on towing with an EV and the implications for MY style of touring earlier in the thread.

I'm firmly into the camp that would never rely on public charging points to run my EV (which really sums up the concerns I raised).

Maybe someone on the forum who has no home charging can offer an opposing view? Whilst the outlay for an EV is considerable it would also be interesting to hear from someone who had "dug deep" to purchase one but has NO means of charging at a regular place - home or work.

It would be very difficult to avoid using public charging points for some uses of an EV, viz business trips or holidays even if an owner had access to their domestic electric supply.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Don’t you just love this thread.😵‍💫
EV Towing
Onto tyre wear including a 71 plate Mocca
Lead acid batteries
Brake discs
Polluting eye sore ICE breakers yards
To mine or not to mine Lithium
Will it last or run out
What can and can’t be recycled

I can’t afford an EV but if I could I suspect the towing issue is governed by a few main factors for me.
The present range is too limited

The ease of finding a suitable rapid recharge point with immediate availability is questionable, never mind one where the caravan remains attached

The present time needed to recharge.

My Scottish Highland tours may prove very difficult.
My sons new EV Vivaro will be in daily use in North Yorkshire. It will be interesting to see how he gets on including his tyre wear and how often the DPF needs cleaning😜

But my own L-ion vehicle does have an amazing range with the 52.8v battery pack fully charging within an hour. Very impressive performance but not suitable for towing
BTW anyone seen an EV hearse🤔

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
EV Towing
Lead acid batteries
Brake discs
Will it last or run out

I can’t afford an EV but if I could I suspect the towing issue is governed by a few main factors for me.

The ease of finding a suitable rapid recharge point with immediate availability is questionable, never mind one where the caravan remains attached

My sons new EV Vivaro will be in daily use in North Yorkshire. It will be interesting to see how he gets on including his tyre wear and how often the DPF needs cleaning😜

But my own L-ion vehicle does have an amazing range with the 52.8v battery pack fully charging within an hour. Very impressive performance but not suitable for towing
DD - there is an undeniable advantage of an EV you reminded me of. I can be absolutly sure that no-one is going to nick my catalytic converter or syphon my tank! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EV Towing
Lead acid batteries
Brake discs
Will it last or run out

Dusty
Yes there's a funeral directors in Corsham who now use Tesla hearses. Our neighbours where we used to live had their Tesla limousines when their son died in late 2019.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hmmm - "never rely on public chargers"...... Let me first say that presently I'd agree it does seem the UK roll out of charging points is woeful, but to vow never to use them is little short sighted. It is certain the number and frequency of charging points will improve over time, and lets also point out that the ICe relies on public refilling stations.

The public charging network does need a big boot before it becomes fully fit for purpose, and another aspect which also need fully legislating is to make points accebt credt or debit payments rather than web based apps on phones.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Webb based apps on phones.

Are these really safe and secure? I don’t use them . What’s wrong with cash or a card presentation. We are warned to be careful at cash points, cover the key pad etc. Glad I’m a dinosaur

Reactions: RogerL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Are these really safe and secure? I don’t use them . What’s wrong with cash or a card presentation. We are warned to be careful at cash points, cover the key pad etc. Glad I’m a dinosaur
There are so many charging networks each with their own app and charge plans so whilst they do have to meet some financial regulation, I couldn't tell you how safe they are. But the difficulty is the sheer number of apps you need to travel across country to enable you recharge. There is Govt legislation that requires new public chargers to have CC or DC payment options, but invariably such direct payments incur higher tariffs. I can't be as old as you as I'm only Bronze age...:cool:

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Not another diversion to this thread. 💳🏧💷

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

What gets me is why do apps require access to your contacts, photos, messages etc to operate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts