Forgetting Things

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Next day discovered keys for unlocking the cables were at home .... a round trip of 100 miles!
Spare set of keys now live permanently in the glove box :D
And that's why, whenever possible, I use combination locks! I use the same numbers for any bike lock, padlock etc, so if Mrs Gozza ever needs to unlock something and I'm not around, she knows the number to try.

Reactions: audiorob
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
And that's why, whenever possible, I use combination locks! I use the same numbers for any bike lock, padlock etc, so if Mrs Gozza ever needs to unlock something and I'm not around, she knows the number to try.
I tried the combination lock and then forgot the numbers. Afterwards I put it in a safe place and forgot where the safe place is. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
A long time ago we went to Blue Rose Country Park East Yorkshire we booked a service pitch set everything up at the time we had a Seat Altea XL 5 door put keys on passenger seat then went to do something came back saw keys on seat could not get in So i rung emergency services up they came and tried the driving door window the only thing they did was set the alarm off . So lucky we had only come forty five miles from home the warden offered me a lift and we fetch the spare set . we gave him petrol money and some booze to thank him So now when we go away we take both sets with us .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had one of those lists a long time ago. In the days of 'bucket and spade' holidays where we stayed put for the duration, we arrived at our campsite in Sant Pere Pescador to realise that we could hang the washing out but were not able to 'peg' the awning down. Mea culpa but you only do it once!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A long time ago we went to Blue Rose Country Park East Yorkshire we booked a service pitch set everything up at the time we had a Seat Altea XL 5 door put keys on passenger seat then went to do something came back saw keys on seat could not get in So i rung emergency services up they came and tried the driving door window the only thing they did was set the alarm off . So lucky we had only come forty five miles from home the warden offered me a lift and we fetch the spare set . we gave him petrol money and some booze to thank him So now when we go away we take both sets with us .
We take the spare car keys in the caravan and spare caravan keys in the car when we go away.

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We would never take the spare keys for the vehicle with us at any time and have never done so in the past. However both sets of caravan keys are in the vehicle.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We would never take the spare keys for the vehicle with us at any time and have never done so in the past. However both sets of caravan keys are in the vehicle.
Why? My spare car keys live in the caravan. Say you are 600 miles away, lose the normal keys, how do you get the car going?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why? My spare car keys live in the caravan. Say you are 600 miles away, lose the normal keys, how do you get the car going?
I never ever consider leaving my car keys in the caravan at any time while we are out and about. If someone did access the caravan and pinch the keys, will the insurance pay out as a caravan may not be considered as a safe place.

if we were 600 miles away, we have two options. One would be to phone the daughter and ask her to arrange a courier for the keys or contact the nearest dealership and buy a replacement set.

Just to add, in the past we have had two cars stolen at different times and now I am a bit paranoid about security.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I never ever consider leaving my car keys in the caravan at any time while we are out and about. If someone did access the caravan and pinch the keys, will the insurance pay out as a caravan may not be considered as a safe place.

if we were 600 miles away, we have two options. One would be to phone the daughter and ask her to arrange a courier for the keys or contact the nearest dealership and buy a replacement set.

Just to add, in the past we have had two cars stolen at different times and now I am a bit paranoid about security.
You'd need to show the V5 to verify ownership to get a new key at the dealer - so where's your V5 when you're on holiday?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

But you will still be driving the car with the originals. Caravan ones get nicked you change the car ones asap or in the interim remove a relay to make it a non starter.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You'd need to show the V5 to verify ownership to get a new key at the dealer - so where's your V5 when you're on holiday?

No need for V5 as identity can be verified by any Jeep dealership if you have your driver's licence with you.

But you will still be driving the car with the originals. Caravan ones get nicked you change the car ones asap or in the interim remove a relay to make it a non starter.

Not sure I understand your post? However I guess the idea is never to lsoe your keys and to be more careful with them.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
No need for V5 as identity can be verified by any Jeep dealership if you have your driver's licence with you.

Not sure I understand your post? However I guess the idea is never to lsoe your keys and to be more careful with them.
On tour you lose your car keys. A quick taxi ride back to site and you have your spare keys in the caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That's an insecure system then! With other brands you need to establish identity AND ownership/registration of the car.
Not sure why you think it is an insecure system when you are able to prove identity. However it is my choice and I would rather be without the vehicle than have the keys in an insecure place like the caravan or car.

On tour you lose your car keys. A quick taxi ride back to site and you have your spare keys in the caravan.

In the meantime someone has broken into the caravan and stolen the car keys. This could go round in circles forever and again it is my choice to have the keys in a secure location at home.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If we carry both sets the car suffers angst if I get out with the โ€œ drivingโ€ set in my pocket and my wife is in the car with the spare in her handbag. Just another โ€ benefitโ€ of keyless entry. I even had to reset its default mode which is to unlock as you approach. Fed up with it keep doing it as I walk past along the drive. Such is progress.

PS I know spare in my wifeโ€™s hold-all , sorry handbag, should be in a Faraday pouch. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well lucky for me i was only forty five miles away from home but you go abroad ? so my wife take the spare set now and i feel more secure .and this is my preferred choice

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well lucky for me i was only forty five miles away from home but you go abroad ? so my wife take the spare set now and i feel more secure .
If you are abroad you need to carry your V5 with you so no issue there with identity. However it would be easier and cheaper for the daughter to courier the spare keys to us.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We went away for a long weekend once, took the porch awning because of the weather, but forgot the poles. I spent the first hour on the site cutting as many nice straight branches off the trees in the woods nearby and lashing up an awning frame with them.
I've also left the cool box with all the food that we couldn't get into the fridge on the driveway next to the car before we left home. I was just about to put it in the back of the car as the last item when a bus came around the corner and I had to move the car in order for the bus to be able to pass. Because the cool box was then hidden behind the caravan and I was a bit flustered by having to move the car so quickly, it remained on the pavement when we drove off. I only realised that I left it there after driving for two hours so I phoned a neighbour who took it into his home for safe keeping. I told him that he could enjoy the contents.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you are abroad you need to carry your V5 with you so no issue there with identity. However it would be easier and cheaper for the daughter to courier the spare keys to us.
The V5 only identifies the car plus the registered keepers address. I could take my grandsons car abroad but the V5 doesnโ€™t identify me. But my passport does.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
So how long will it take for the keys to arrive to you from your daughter and as you say you leave both sets of caravan keys in the vehicle in post #42 how do you lock the van if you want to go out ?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
So how long will it take for the keys to arrive to you from your daughter and as you say you leave both sets of caravan keys in the vehicle in post #42 how do you lock the van if you want to go out ?
I guess that is our problem and we live with it and are happy with our peace of mind. :D

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One Christmas we went to Moreto in Marsh. We pre-cooked the turkey at home and put it in the cool box and thought turkey would cool down eventually. We left the cool box in awning and next day popped down to the pub at lunchtime for a Christmas drink.

Got back to the caravan starving for our Christmas dinner. Took out the turkey and it was frozen rock solid. We had not taken into consideration the weather being very cold and forgotten to take out the turkey earlier. We had a very late Christmas dinner that day as we had to wait for the turkey to defrost and have never repeated the episode. No such things as microwaves in caravans back then.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I tried the combination lock and then forgot the numbers. Afterwards I put it in a safe place and forgot where the safe place is. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
A couple of weeks ago I bought a new SIM card for the caravan wi-fi, ahead of our next trip. No idea where I put it.

Luckily it's only the SIM, I haven't put any money on it yet so it's a minor loss, but still annoying. Especially as I was absolutely certain where I'd left it, and it isn't there.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If we carry both sets the car suffers angst if I get out with the โ€œ drivingโ€ set in my pocket and my wife is in the car with the spare in her handbag. Just another โ€ benefitโ€ of keyless entry. I even had to reset its default mode which is to unlock as you approach. Fed up with it keep doing it as I walk past along the drive. Such is progress.

PS I know spare in my wifeโ€™s hold-all , sorry handbag, should be in a Faraday pouch. ๐Ÿ˜‚

OH always carries the spare pair in her handbag. Works for us. The new MG has keyless locking. But so far not experienced a conflict. (Mind you, still not managed 200 miles).

The spare set for the caravan were normally kept in the car.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts