Forum Poll

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I never knew the other system but I'm happy with the way this forum is run even the comments from Kanga. He is entitled to his opinions although others dont have to agree. What there is no need of is the name calling by anyone. I'm as guilty as anyone on here for getting on my soapbox and defending myself and others points of view (even dogs who can't answer for themselves) but I do try to add a bit of humour in the post because I'm not really a serious person. If I do overstep the mark I would like someone to say so and not to complain in a post about someones behaviour and leave everyone guessing who they are referring too. So Lol I'm happy with it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To answer the question, I am not happy with the way the forum is being run. I think there are a number of things that could or should be improved.

Sadly there is still a small number of people who are using the forum as a personal battle ground. The voicing of opinion is a wholesome and valuable thing to do, and after all it is one of our freedoms, but when the debate degenerates into a slanging match with unfounded accusations, profanities and other objectionable activities, then the value is lost.

I have said that freedom is valuable, but with freedom also comes responsibility, and these two considerations must be balanced.

I am not against humour, but it is possible to have humorous elements without lowering every thing to its lowest form.

The original question is to broad a cut, perhaps we should be asking how could the site be improved?

Improvement - a grater degree of self control with proper consideration and respect for the views and sensibilities of all other readers. If you hold an alternative view on a subject, be prepared to state that view and offer some justification, but be prepared to accept there could be an opposite view, and agree to disagree.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I like it as is,however it does seem very "clickie" at times and insulting(just like the cc local centres,which i had the unpleasent experience of visiting,thought i had two heads the way they looked at me

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To answer the question, I am not happy with the way the forum is being run. I think there are a number of things that could or should be improved.

Sadly there is still a small number of people who are using the forum as a personal battle ground. The voicing of opinion is a wholesome and valuable thing to do, and after all it is one of our freedoms, but when the debate degenerates into a slanging match with unfounded accusations, profanities and other objectionable activities, then the value is lost.

I have said that freedom is valuable, but with freedom also comes responsibility, and these two considerations must be balanced.

I am not against humour, but it is possible to have humorous elements without lowering every thing to its lowest form.

The original question is to broad a cut, perhaps we should be asking how could the site be improved?

Improvement - a grater degree of self control with proper consideration and respect for the views and sensibilities of all other readers. If you hold an alternative view on a subject, be prepared to state that view and offer some justification, but be prepared to accept there could be an opposite view, and agree to disagree.
I know i am shouting but WELL SAID

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site

That must be one of the most sensible and intelligent posts ever to appear on this forum.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I like it as is,however it does seem very "clickie" at times and insulting(just like the cc local centres,which i had the unpleasent experience of visiting,thought i had two heads the way they looked at me
Well I'm relatively new but I haven't found it "cliquey" at all Copaul.

Jul 29, 2005
Visit site
I like the present format, even the banter which although can get personal is also entertaining to others.

Problem is to many people take things to heart, if everyone lightened up i think life would seem simpler.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes I like the format but it needs more control from the moderator.
Don't have a problem with that. Its because you tend to act as a schoolboy that the moderator had to do what was done. Your last outbust at him/her was so laughably juvenile I could almost hear you stamping your foot.

As for calling you a very irritating person, - you have one of the words wrong.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I like the present format, even the banter which although can get personal is also entertaining to others.

Problem is to many people take things to heart, if everyone lightened up i think life would seem simpler.
Hello Big R,

We are all diffrent, and thankfully that is one of the things that makes the world a more intersting place.

Our past experiences and upbringing are all unique, but they tend to mould the way we will react to any given set of circumstances or stimuli. How many times have you suddenly found that a sight, smell, touch or sound has evoked a powerful emotional memory for you? Words can do much the same, sometimes even more powerfully than you might imagine.

I really do mind that bad language is all too often used, either writtten or spoken, it offends my sence of decenecy. It is unecessary, lazy, and in my opinion reflects badly on the person using it. We should be proud of our language and use it properly.

How can we ask or expect good manners and behavoiur from the young of sociery when all around in general usage poor language is spoken and written. When people start to accept such behavoiur without at least pointing it out, then the downward slide has begun, sadly I believe we are already on an unstopable express to deparvity.

I sincerly believe that more people should take items that we have found on this forum to heart, On the contrary to "lightening up" we should all have a little more consideration towards others, avoid making personal attacks or jibes that could be misconstrued.

It is very possible to have humour without lowering morals.

Go on try it, you know it makes sence.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Big R,

We are all diffrent, and thankfully that is one of the things that makes the world a more intersting place.

Our past experiences and upbringing are all unique, but they tend to mould the way we will react to any given set of circumstances or stimuli. How many times have you suddenly found that a sight, smell, touch or sound has evoked a powerful emotional memory for you? Words can do much the same, sometimes even more powerfully than you might imagine.

I really do mind that bad language is all too often used, either writtten or spoken, it offends my sence of decenecy. It is unecessary, lazy, and in my opinion reflects badly on the person using it. We should be proud of our language and use it properly.

How can we ask or expect good manners and behavoiur from the young of sociery when all around in general usage poor language is spoken and written. When people start to accept such behavoiur without at least pointing it out, then the downward slide has begun, sadly I believe we are already on an unstopable express to deparvity.

I sincerly believe that more people should take items that we have found on this forum to heart, On the contrary to "lightening up" we should all have a little more consideration towards others, avoid making personal attacks or jibes that could be misconstrued.

It is very possible to have humour without lowering morals.

Go on try it, you know it makes sence.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site

Big R,I've left you a message on "our website"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

John, that's pretty much the way most people view the Forum, trouble is, it is still open to abuse. If we want to change it, and I'm not saying we do, we will need a technical answer. People being people will do what they want to do, if they are allowed to do it. Perhaps you could suggest a way of controlling those that post what could be considered offensive material. Once the majority have agreed then perhaps we could lobby (if necessary) the site owners. Or we could leave it as it is and see if things calm down, while formulating a plan should things not work out, be prepared is what I'm trying to say. As for the original question being too broad, no it wasn't. It was simply a way to gauge what people think of the forum as it is, in its present form, not to provide answers.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

I agree with your sentiments exactly, particularly with reference to bad language. I have referred to 'lightening-up' with reference to people not feeling they have a right to call people insulting names etc. when they do not personally know them. We have to accept the differences without one person feeling they are 'right' and the other person therefore,'wrong'. They are just 'different' but both equally valid and nobody should be subjected to abuse.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lol,

Thank you for your posting, I have actually made some suggestions in the past on ways to control access to the forum. See our Website listings)

My own view is that there are two major problems with the site. Firstly is the anonymity afforded by the site names, and the fact that it is easy to create multiple names or re-register so easily if a particular name is barred.

Currently some users of the forum use the relative anonymity of their site names to launch and pursue personal vendetta's.

And secondly there is no cost penalty to do this, and the site owners have no easy method of identifying the real name and address of the culprits.

I am sure that if the writers of some of the posts knew they would be identified then they would more considerate in their writings.

If there was a cost that had to be paid for via a credit card, then two things would change. Firstly these protagonists are less like to want to run up the costs of multiple identities, and perhaps more importantly the site operators would have a traceable home address based on the credit card, and thus would be able to manage the membership effectively.

It would then be possible to limit the number of screen names for each home address to 1, and of course be able to trace a particular posting if any matter arise from it.

This doesn't drastically limit access to any genuine contributor but it might make people think twice before abusing the opportunity to air their views.

Your original question is what is called a 'closed' question, in that you were trying to illicit a YES/NO answer. In reality the outcome is not very helpful, because if like me, I have to answer NO, but I am not totally dissatisfied with forum. Others of a similar opinion might say 'Yes' but there are some areas of concern.

Perhaps consider something like this:

Do you agree the forum is well run? Show your response by returning the number that corresponds with your view?

1 Absolutely disagree

2 Tend to disagree

3 No opinion

4 Tend to agree

5 Absolutely agree

Using this approach allows the flavour of the responses to be guaged.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John, thanks for getting back with your idea's, they are certainly something worth considering if the forum goes downhill. I think I would prefer to wait and see if any modifications are needed, but like I said, it's good to be prepared. Looks like are going to have an argument over this one John, I still think my question was adequate for the intended job, a simple yes or no, and then the ability to say anything further in the comments section. It would have kept the overall result easier to see and assimilate, instead of scrolling down through countless ideas and comments. Your idea, while used as a standard polling technique would have had this problem to a greater degree, users of the forum would answer a "still limiting question" and added comments, much the same as most of the posts. I was after a quick smart reference point to direct people to should that old scenario of "I'm leaving this site it's awful" happened again. So I'm afraid it's going to be handbags at dawn or see how far we can spit our dummies out! You choose the weapon; the venue is the nearest pub.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lol,

No - no argument just a healthy regard for each others views, I dont disagree in principal, as it seems we are concerned with the same issues, we just differ in our approach to the means rather than the end.

But if you insist on a battle, and you have thrown down the gauntlet, so I choose feather dusters at the pub in the middle of Lord Braykewynde's estate. I will have my Second Lutz sort out the details with yours, Who is your second?

I assume we are using the Mornington Crescent rules?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Actually, I was going to ask, Lord B to be my second, unfortunately, he hasn't been able to count up to ten since the accident with the branding iron and goose grease. Kanga as you well know is indisposed at the moment so I might have to ask Lisa to do the honours. I believe she has a bountiful supply of feather dusters, and knows how to use them! I am unfamiliar with the Mornington Crescent rules, you will have to enlighten me, but if it has anything to do with latex and custard, I forfeit Sir.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Actually, I was going to ask, Lord B to be my second, unfortunately, he hasn't been able to count up to ten since the accident with the branding iron and goose grease. Kanga as you well know is indisposed at the moment so I might have to ask Lisa to do the honours. I believe she has a bountiful supply of feather dusters, and knows how to use them! I am unfamiliar with the Mornington Crescent rules, you will have to enlighten me, but if it has anything to do with latex and custard, I forfeit Sir.
Just when I was thinking "why am I bothering" - up comes a truly funny exchange.

Thanks - you made me laugh!

TRENDING THREADS